Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-17, 04:07 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Will this ISF debut with the next gen IS or before? I leased a car simply to give me time to wait and see what Lexus comes up with. That's the car i would want next instead of a RCF/GSF....IS is the perfect size for me, not to mention a more accessible price.
Old 02-18-17, 04:16 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
While I agree that some iterations of the spindle grill are a little ungainly IMHO, I think they are finding their way. For instance I don't care for the refresh GS
The photos never did them justice, in person I think the updated 4GS is far far better from pre-update. What a great and drastic update. If the 4GS had a more coupe-like shape, I would've gotten it.

One major problem I see with Lexus and I hope they are changing this soon, is customization.
Old 02-18-17, 04:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
The photos never did them justice, in person I think the updated 4GS is far far better from pre-update. What a great and drastic update. If the 4GS had a more coupe-like shape, I would've gotten it.

One major problem I see with Lexus and I hope they are changing this soon, is customization.
I just don't agree. Imho even in person I dislike the refresh GS nose.
Old 02-18-17, 05:41 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
Will this ISF debut with the next gen IS or before? I leased a car simply to give me time to wait and see what Lexus comes up with. That's the car i would want next instead of a RCF/GSF....IS is the perfect size for me, not to mention a more accessible price.
They never planned to do ISF for this generation which is idiotic and shows a huge disconnect between Lexus USA and corporate Japan which makes these decisions.

There was a great article in either MotorTrend or Car and Driver discussing that the Japanese corporate culture is very slow to react to changes and give control to US based executives. On the other hand the Koreans are much more open and have no issue with Western executives making important decisions. This is evident by Hyundai hiring of top designers and engineers of European descent.

here is link - article by Bob Lutz
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...art-and-seoul/

Last edited by RNM GS3; 02-18-17 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 07:09 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's an interesting short article by Bob Lutz - one of the Detroit auto industry's suits. Usually folks like him are judged on the basis of the lousy product that came from the domestic car industry on their watch. But Lutz is actually a very smart insider with some great observations and he was one of the windmill-tilters who banned ridiculous gingerbread trim on Pontiac/GM products and urged on better products like the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice etc. - RWD products.

That article sums up a lot. Japan's difficult history with the US and its reluctance to bring in outsiders to decide critical issues like styling and aesthetics, big gambles.

I don't know if Acura went down a side street dead end because of Japan's corporate culture or because the rest of the non-luxury car world improved so fast. But abandoning storied names like Integra, Vigor and Legend while refusing to embrace AWD early on, that didn't bode well. The infamous beak just shut the door after all that.

Lexus could hit a home run here with the LS like they are doing with the LC. If the 5LS can handle a nice curve in the tradition of the big Mercs, while still providing a smooth ride for the traditional customers - that will work very well but price is key.
Old 02-18-17, 07:18 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I read it awhile back but the average age of Lexus isn't that much better these days. Bloomberg quotes low 60s now as the average

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...buyers-with-is
That article is almost 4 years old.
Old 02-18-17, 07:38 PM
mikha619
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
This isn't just a thread about lexus is ugly. this is about the direction lexus is taking. January sales figures don't lie and overall they are on downward trend with a lot of their models.
This statement is irrelevant. The entire market was down in January. And you're basing a "downward trend" on one month? Try looking up Lexus sales figures for 2016 compared to competition. Quite the opposite of this statement.
Old 02-18-17, 07:43 PM
mikha619
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Fact

The fact of the matter is, Lexus is no longer marketing towards their older clientele. They are marketing towards the younger generation of people who are going to be able to purchase 4 to 5 more cars in their lifetime. Why market to an older generation when it will most likely be their last car. It's unfortunate to look at it this way. But business is business. Got to meet the markets demands.
Old 02-18-17, 07:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thing is, appealing to a younger market also brings in older buyers. Youth sells.
Old 02-18-17, 07:50 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
That article is almost 4 years old.
That was the point. I read that pre LFA, the average buyer age was heading toward mid 60 so Lexus made an effort to attract younger buyers. 4 years ago, we see that the average age is 61. I thought i read it's lower now but can't find the source. It seems like Lexus strategy is working especially given the IS (which had the first predator grill) average age is 40-45.
Old 02-18-17, 07:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mikha619
The fact of the matter is, Lexus is no longer marketing towards their older clientele. They are marketing towards the younger generation of people who are going to be able to purchase 4 to 5 more cars in their lifetime. Why market to an older generation when it will most likely be their last car. It's unfortunate to look at it this way. But business is business. Got to meet the markets demands.
It is not necessarily a good business decision, though. In general, those with the most money to spend on a car tend to be in their late 50s to early 60s.......just before retirement. That is because, unlike young people, they have been working, getting promotions and higher-paying jobs, and (hopefully) saving all of their lives. And, with today's average life expectancy (which, in my county, is now 83 for females and 82 for males), you can bet it probably won't be their last car. At my pool/fitness center, I see people every day still driving in their 90s....safely. The idea that you can't market to older people any more is complete nonsense.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-18-17 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 08:23 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus volume cars are always going to be from the Camry platform. I don't understand why this is such an issue. It has always been this way.

Thats not an issue, but merely a statement of facts.

Again, ever since the introduction of the RX, this has always been the case.

Similar to what Acura does now, and what Lexus did a decade ago

Sales versus how much they can charge are two different things. The new upper end Lexus models will be more expensive and people are going to be willing to pay more for them. The growth of a sales volume for the LS model is a moot point as the industry will not grow going forward after a record sales year. Instead, high end car brands will offer more choice over a wider range of price points for a single model. For example, take a look at the Lexus GS, it starts at $43K and tops out at almost $90K. The next generation LS500 will do the exact same sort of thing, its about charging more money and making more money. The eventual release of the a LC-F model will further push Lexus MSRP upwards.

Just because MSRP moves upwards, doesnt really mean they will somehow magically attract new customers, it simply means Lexus believes their product should be priced higher. The 4th gen GS was priced higher then their older 3rd gen and was a better all around vehicle compared to anything in the class at the time, but still continues to sell very very poorly. A better product, traditionally is not the only key to success, as if that was the case every luxury brand would simply buy a couple samples of the market leader, reengineer those components and add there own marque label and sell in quantity.

The next generation ES model will move the MSRP range as well, it will go closer to the high end of the Lincoln Continental or CT6 end of the spectrum while also appealing to the current base price.

See the bolded
Old 02-18-17, 09:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It is not necessarily a good business decision, though. In general, those with the most money to spend on a car tend to be in their late 50s to early 60s.......just before retirement. That is because, unlike young people, they have been working, getting promotions and higher-paying jobs, and (hopefully) saving all of their lives. And, with today's average life expectancy (which, in my county, is now 83 for females and 82 for males), you can bet it probably won't be their last car. At my pool/fitness center, I see people every day still driving in their 90s....safely. The idea that you can't market to older people any more is complete nonsense.
Weve talked about this. This theory of yours has no basis in business. Peak spending years are considerably younger than retirement age. People's spending on luxury items decreases as they approach retirement.
Old 02-19-17, 07:45 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
I love how you picked out the 5-60 MPH time just to prove your point. Isn't that something. 0-60 the IS350 will do it anywhere from 4.8 - 5.1 seconds on a good launch (which is pretty much faster than most of the competition besides the 335i and Audi S4). Some people have gotten 4.6 - 4.7 seconds 0-60 on a good launch. Can you do that consistently? Probably not
i picked 5 - 60 mph times from major automotive publications (C&D and MT) to be fair to the is350 since this is closer to realistic on-the-road acceleration and somewhat removes awd advantage from the equation; 0 - 60 times from those same publications puts everyone of the cars listed further ahead of the is350, including the 328i.

i love how you picked the "some people" acceleration times to prove your unsupported claim. laughable.
Old 02-19-17, 08:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
See the bolded
Yes, I saw thanks. But the bold it to difficult to copy and past and respond back and forth.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?