Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 tesla model s p100d new record 0-60 mph in 2.28 seconds!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 04:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
ummm you know those numbers are obtained ONLY in full-on Ludicrous Easter-egg mode mode right?...do you think a soccer mom will put it in ludicrous mode?
Do you think a soccer mom is going to spend $150,000 on a Tesla P100D??? They make more affordable and less powerful versions of the Model S that run around 70-80k. Basically my point is somebody buying the P100D knows what they're getting, they want the hot-rod Tesla, you're not going to see a soccer mom or non-enthusiast pluck down 150k on the P100D.

That is simply astounding performance though from the Tesla. As for the people whining about it only does 0-60 in 2.28 seconds in super easter egg mode, in normal mode I bet it still rips off a sub 3 second 0-60 and still runs a 10 second quarter mile ET. That's rip your face off acceleration, heck even some race cars aren't that fast depending on the series.
Old 02-09-17, 05:16 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not taking anything away from Tesla but all this acceleration stuff is really pointless when it's all said and done. There's a lot more to a car's performance than straight line acceleration, yet that (and the Tesla's horrible interior) always gets overlooked by the press. Plus you don't get the sense of acceleration you do in other cars because you only hear the whine of the electric motor, plus no shifting is involved which makes the experience all the more robotic. I've driven P85s many times so I'm not making this up.

It's more reassurance that in my eyes, Tesla guys aren't real car guys. They're techies and the Model S is certainly very impressive in that regard. But when it comes to handling, cornering, steering response, etc. none of them care. That's perfectly cool, but don't go around acting like you're driving a real performance car.
Old 02-09-17, 05:19 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I'm not taking anything away from Tesla but all this acceleration stuff is really pointless when it's all said and done. There's a lot more to a car's performance than straight line acceleration, yet that (and the Tesla's horrible interior) always gets overlooked by the press.

It's more reassurance that in my eyes, Tesla guys aren't real car guys. They're techies and the Model S is certainly very impressive in that regard. But when it comes to handling, cornering, steering response, etc. none of them care.
Right, so why did they include Ludicrous mode then?
Old 02-09-17, 05:22 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Right, so why did they include Ludicrous mode then?
Not sure what you're trying to get at, but certainly because it's meant to showcase what Tesla's electric powertrain is capable of. It's neat that there's always updates to the powertrain making the car quicker every time. I'm certainly impressed in that regard, and it's why I feel Tesla is very smart at marketing themselves and staying relevant. Like a tech company, their product is always being updated and improved and it doesn't take 3 years for a mid-cycle refresh to do it.
Old 02-09-17, 05:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

^ See I like the Tesla interior, the huge center touch screen looks cool and is pretty easy to use. Granted I get where you are coming from, for what it costs the leather, materials, etc should be better, but I don't think its crap either. As for the handling comments, I think its fine for a big luxury car.

The main thing I have against the Model S is its price and limited usefulness. Kind of silly to spend $150k on a luxury car(luxury to me=practical) if I can't take it on a trip of more than 150 miles. Like you said, its mainly techy type people with a lot of disposable income buying the Model S, just gotta have the latest and greatest.
Old 02-09-17, 05:29 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ See I like the Tesla interior, the huge center touch screen looks cool and is pretty easy to use. Granted I get where you are coming from, for what it costs the leather, materials, etc should be better, but I don't think its crap either. As for the handling comments, I think its fine for a big luxury car.

The main thing I have against the Model S is its price and limited usefulness. Kind of silly to spend $150k on a luxury car(luxury to me=practical) if I can't take it on a trip of more than 150 miles. Like you said, its mainly techy type people with a lot of disposable income buying the Model S, just gotta have the latest and greatest.
I think simplicity minimalism goes a long way. That design philosophy is why Apple, for example, has been so wildly successful. People complain about BMW's simple interior design philosophy as well, yet it produces results because it feels more modern than other makes. But relative to other sedans in the same price range, the Tesla's interior falls wildly short. It would pass for something in the $55-80K price range of the 5-series, but beyond that I'd say it's abysmal for the price. It's been improved over the years, but it's still just putting lipstick on a pig. I'm sure the next generation will step it up though.

Regarding your concern about "limited usefulness," I wouldn't say that's very relevant because (a) people who can afford even the cheapest Tesla often have another vehicle (often an SUV) in the garage for those long trips; and (b) Tesla's Supercharger network is pretty large, you just have to plan adequately. I was recently traveling down I-5 from Seattle to Portland and spoke with a couple Tesla owners whose cars were charging about halfway along the route. It works well.
Old 02-09-17, 05:44 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I think simplicity minimalism goes a long way. That design philosophy is why Apple, for example, has been so wildly successful. People complain about BMW's simple interior design philosophy as well, yet it produces results because it feels more modern than other makes. But relative to other sedans in the same price range, the Tesla's interior falls wildly short. It would pass for something in the $55-80K price range of the 5-series, but beyond that I'd say it's abysmal for the price. It's been improved over the years, but it's still just putting lipstick on a pig. I'm sure the next generation will step it up though.

Regarding your concern about "limited usefulness," I wouldn't say that's very relevant because (a) people who can afford even the cheapest Tesla often have another vehicle (often an SUV) in the garage for those long trips; and (b) Tesla's Supercharger network is pretty large, you just have to plan adequately. I was recently traveling down I-5 from Seattle to Portland and spoke with a couple Tesla owners whose cars were charging about halfway along the route. It works well.
The supercharger network might be pretty good on the west coast, but if you're going to some of the more rural parts of the south or midwest, good luck with that. The range kind of makes the Tesla a "toy" in terms of car categories. I can think of about 10 different fun, impractical toy/occasional use cars I'd rather have for $150k.

Last edited by Aron9000; 02-09-17 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-09-17, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Impressive numbers. But for the every-day Tesla driver, just what exactly does this create? Problems. Stopped at a light in a suburban city. Mothers and children around in SUV's. Light turns green, driver punches it. Car sneaks up on other cars with no sound at all. People are startled. People are pissed. "There goes another a-hole in a Tesla." Happens every day. Is this good for society? Not in my opinion. This acceleration madness has to end.
Originally Posted by JDR76
I will never complain about more power and better acceleration, but at this point I think Tesla would be much better off using their development dollars to improve the interior and features. In my opinion, the interiors are less impressive than what they could/should be.
Good points here by both posters. We have clearly reached a point (and, IMO, reached it some time ago) where simply adding more and more power produces little or nothing practical, and just adds to the Law of Diminishing Returns. That money can indeed be better spent in other areas....particularly in full-electrics with their range limitations.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-10-17 at 06:10 AM.
Old 02-09-17, 10:32 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

To anyone who thinks any amount of acceleration is pointless, please pick up your skirt and exit this thread. Last I checked, this forum is for car enthusiasts.

0-60 in under 2.3 seconds is amazing.

Last edited by pvmike1; 02-09-17 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-10-17, 02:44 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
To anyone who thinks any amount of acceleration is pointless, please pick up your skirt and exit this thread. Last I checked, this forum is for car enthusiasts.

There's so much more to being a car enthusiast than 0-60 numbers. One can revel in the history of a car maker, study design elements, monitor sales trends, anticipate new models coming out, and help others make good buying decisions. These are all things people who "like cars" do day in and day out.
Old 02-10-17, 02:53 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

ummm you know those numbers are obtained ONLY in full-on Ludicrous Easter-egg mode mode right?...do you think a soccer mom will put it in ludicrous mode? Or are you complaining because it's just too fast for ANYONE to drive??

So GT-R is OK then or not? C7?

I'd say leave that type of driving behavior to the track, no matter what type of car or driver it is. On the streets, it is dangerous and causes problems. The idea when driving was once to be *courteous* and safe around others. With such tempting power and elaborate on-board media devices distracting people, we've lost respect of the road.
Old 02-10-17, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1

First, it's amazing on a track or drag strip....not on the street. Second, one can be a car enthusiast without being a speed enthusiast, especially with irresponsible speed and acceleration....and some of us here on Car Chat are good examples of that. Third, to use a "skirt" reference is insulting to the females who use this forum (some of whom are well-repsected)...so please do not use that as a reference. Fourth, Dave and the moderators decide who will be asked to exit the thread.....not regular posters.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-10-17 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-10-17, 07:05 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

everyone complaining is just huuurrrrrrt that they can't afford one

i agree though i wouldn't get a tesla unless i was rich enough to buy it as a pure toy and not something i'd have to depend on. when you're out on the highway it doesn't compare to something like a big AMG mercedes and the range becomes absolutely horrendous when you're driving it hard, which lets be honest you'll always want to do. not to mention it still takes awhile to charge up, and i still think the interior is crap. my rich indian friend's dad recently got the 90D and i have to say the ride is quite stiff as are the seats. still a very cool car though, especially from a relatively new company like tesla
Old 02-10-17, 07:13 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
great times, but I wonder how much current it draws for it to go that fast
Ask Tesla in another week. They still charging it.
Old 02-10-17, 08:39 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Ask Tesla in another week. They still charging it.
haha good one. and probably significantly reduced the life of the battery! haha

Quick Reply: 2017 tesla model s p100d new record 0-60 mph in 2.28 seconds!