Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds : Lexus Superbowl LC500, biggest hit for automotive ads

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-17, 05:03 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Edmunds : Lexus Superbowl LC500, biggest hit for automotive ads

A lot of CL members went negative on the Lexus LC500 Superbowl ad for being "bloody awful", "horrible commercial", not impressive, "pretty whack, a desperate attempt", "will dancing like that sell cars?", and too much dancing, not enough car. On CL, it was a general majority of negative impressions for the ad.
(thread in question: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ds-2017-a.html)

I felt like a lot of comments were pretty out of touch, looking at ads from a veteran enthusiast forum point of view and not a mass market consumer point of view. If you look at the youtube video comment section, you will see the exact opposite response with overwhelming majority of comments being positive. Some comments include, "nailed it", "one of the best ads this year".

CL can be wrong too, and its ok. This ad was the single most effective automotive ad of all superbowl 2017 ads, and it wasn't even close, in terms of active engagement directly to their website, they won by a long shot. Team one ad agency that created the commercial won't worry about job security after this success, of course, thats why they're the pros, and we're not.

Top three ad results in terms of specific Edmunds website hits following live airings:

1. Lexus LC500 : +1,710%
2. Kia Nero : +869%
3. Alfa Romeo : +802%

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/aut...-bowl-ads.html

The Edmunds real-time analysis gauged which commercials resulted in the largest website traffic spikes during Sunday's broadcast. Edmunds then measured the traffic lifts against the average of the previous four Sundays on the car-shopping website to determine which ads had the most impact on viewers.

A commercial for the all-new 2018 Lexus LC 500 sport coupe, titled "Man and Machine," features dancer Lil Buck defying gravity as he tumbles around the LC 500 to Sia's song "Move Your Body." A voiceover by actress Minnie Driver says, "Machines don't have emotions, but a rare few can inspire them." At the end of the ad, Lexus introduces its new global tagline: "Experience Amazing."

After the commercial aired, there was a 1,710 percent increase in Lexus LC traffic on Edmunds, the analysts said.

Last edited by G Star; 02-06-17 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-06-17, 05:46 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I like that ad.
Old 02-06-17, 06:26 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ad metrics is a really tricky thing to measure in this day and age. Yes the Lexus ad looked good on a proper HD screen. But it got lost in the crowd. So many better ads that have stirred content for morning talk shows, evening news shows and Twitter talk. People are more interested right now about 84 Lumber, Mr. Clean, Anheuser-Busch.

Is anybody talking about the LC in mainstream media, which is the forum for the masses who don't know much about this brand other than ES or RX? But if it results in more sales from potential customers for the LC500 because of Super Bowl LI, then there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-06-17, 06:37 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That is because they actually showed the car. Audi had an ad that emphasized equal rights/pay for women (which I am absolutely in favor of), but aside from die-hard feminists who probably weren't watching the Super Bowl I doubt anyone will remember which company made the statement. Same with Honda, who had the great "yearbook" ad. I loved the ad and the concept, but this morning I couldn't remember which brand ran the ad... or even if it was an automotive company. I know brands nowadays need to show a social conscience, but not showing the product just goes against Marketing 101.
Old 02-06-17, 07:03 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag
That is because they actually showed the car. Audi had an ad that emphasized equal rights/pay for women (which I am absolutely in favor of), but aside from die-hard feminists who probably weren't watching the Super Bowl I doubt anyone will remember which company made the statement. Same with Honda, who had the great "yearbook" ad. I loved the ad and the concept, but this morning I couldn't remember which brand ran the ad... or even if it was an automotive company. I know brands nowadays need to show a social conscience, but not showing the product just goes against Marketing 101.
The Audi ad was great, but yeah it was not all that memorable. The trope about women being paid less than men is only applicable to the lower classes who are not buying Audis. The Honda ad relied too much on celebrity culture which distances potential buyers from the car. Must be a bunch of 50 year old people looking at their yearbooks.

The Lexus ad really was just about, "we're really cool now, we're hip hop". Dancing is nice and so are cars. In this current environment of national political, cultural and social debate - you don't stand a chance unless you have a deeper meaning or story to tell your customers.
Old 02-06-17, 07:15 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MattyG
The Audi ad was great, but yeah it was not all that memorable. The trope about women being paid less than men is only applicable to the lower classes who are not buying Audis. The Honda ad relied too much on celebrity culture which distances potential buyers from the car. Must be a bunch of 50 year old people looking at their yearbooks.

The Lexus ad really was just about, "we're really cool now, we're hip hop". Dancing is nice and so are cars. In this current environment of national political, cultural and social debate - you don't stand a chance unless you have a deeper meaning or story to tell your customers.
While I understand what you are saying, I don't agree. I think the current political, cultural and social landscape tends to make people want to "escape" for a while rather than see deep social commentary in their commercials. I follow it all very closely, and frankly it is draining and makes me want to watch something light. Probably why most people were watching the Super Bowl to begin with. Even Lady Gaga didn't make any political statements. ;-)
Old 02-06-17, 07:46 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dseag2
Wasn't going to bring up Audi, but since you did. It was irresponsible of Audi to make that 21% claim especially when it isn't true.

Women aren't paid less by any significant margin, they simply choose not to go into educational degrees that make more money, instead choosing to go into majors like liberal arts, communications, gender/social studies. Women are also far less likely to be aggressive in negotiations for higher salaries.

But let's pretend Audi was right, where is Audi to step up to the plate to offer 21% discounts to women? Why are there no women on their board? We all know it is just marketing fluff, perhaps because they're struggling with female buyers, but...to jackhammer a falsehood like that, its just too much.
Old 02-06-17, 07:49 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G Star
Wasn't going to bring up Audi, but since you did. It was irresponsible of Audi to make that 21% claim especially when it isn't true.

Women aren't paid less by any significant margin, they simply choose not to go into educational degrees that make more money, instead choosing to go into majors like liberal arts, communications, gender/social studies. Women are also far less likely to be aggressive in negotiations for higher salaries.

But let's pretend Audi was right, where is Audi to step up to the plate to offer 21% discounts to women? Why are there no women on their board? We all know it is just marketing fluff, perhaps because they're struggling with female buyers, but...to jackhammer a falsehood like that, its just too much.
You apparently didn't read my post very thoroughly because I said Audi's commercial was forgettable. I wasn't defending it. I said I am a proponent of equal rights for women. Just because I own an Audi doesn't mean I'm a proponent of their advertising. Do you think I created their ad? Get a clue.
Old 02-06-17, 07:55 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

You apparently didn't read my post very thoroughly because I said Audi's commercial was forgettable. I wasn't defending it. I said I am a proponent of equal rights for women. Just because I own an Audi doesn't mean I'm a proponent of their advertising. Do you think I created their ad? Get a clue.
My post was more directed at Audi than you, in fact it wasn't directed at you in anyway, except for quoting your post since you brought it up. Chill, k?
Old 02-06-17, 08:03 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G Star
My post was more directed at Audi than you, in fact it wasn't directed at you in anyway, except for quoting your post since you brought it up. Chill, k?
Don't quote me if you are on your soapbox. "k"?

Last edited by dseag2; 02-06-17 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-06-17, 08:23 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Don't quote me if you are on your soapbox. "k"?
I will be more cautious of how I quote you in the future but I don't really see what is wrong with quoting what you said and adding to it. Its really not my fault if you took it too personally.
Old 02-07-17, 08:38 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

While I understand what you are saying, I don't agree. I think the current political, cultural and social landscape tends to make people want to "escape" for a while rather than see deep social commentary in their commercials. I follow it all very closely, and frankly it is draining and makes me want to watch something light. Probably why most people were watching the Super Bowl to begin with. Even Lady Gaga didn't make any political statements. ;-)
I feel the exact same way, quite frankly I am just tired of it.
Old 02-07-17, 10:17 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Matty,

My wife and I are 1% ers and I can tell you that I make a lot more than her and she has a PhD.

Even in big corporate america, women are being paid less for the same job.
Old 02-07-17, 11:02 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ad metrics are very difficult with 1,000's of different ways to slice it.

Ad Age says it was Audi then Kia (strictly for auto commercials): http://adage.com/article/stats/top-1...-voice/307873/

USA Today said it was the Kia overall, followed by Honda and Audi: http://adage.com/article/special-rep...-meter/307848/

No Lexus in either of those lists.

On Youtube, the Lexus video has ~3 million views(published jan 23), Kia has over 9 million views published feb 1, Audi nearly 11 million views, published feb 1.
Old 02-07-17, 12:04 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Ad metrics are very difficult with 1,000's of different ways to slice it.

Ad Age says it was Audi then Kia (strictly for auto commercials): http://adage.com/article/stats/top-1...-voice/307873/

USA Today said it was the Kia overall, followed by Honda and Audi: http://adage.com/article/special-rep...-meter/307848/

No Lexus in either of those lists.

On Youtube, the Lexus video has ~3 million views(published jan 23), Kia has over 9 million views published feb 1, Audi nearly 11 million views, published feb 1.
Came in here to post this.

Quick Reply: Edmunds : Lexus Superbowl LC500, biggest hit for automotive ads