Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus is moving away from sedans and toward SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-17, 08:58 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Yeah, and Kia probably sold 70,000 of whatever crapbucket SUVs they make. Lexus is supposed to be a premium brand selling premium vehicles - they have Toyota to sell vast quantities of downmarket junkers.
I never believed that premium driving experience must be utilized on RWD platform. Whole RWD thing was more of follow the Germans than anything else really. RWD in car like LS doesn't bring any more to the table than FWD or AWD, if chassis and drivetrain is made just right you could never tell the difference in two tone car if it's RWD or FWD. Now if we are talking about spirited driving experience then yes RWD is in 90% cases better than FWD but still not as good as torque vectored AWD. Once EVs get independent motors for each wheel then we will reach another point in spirited sports driving that we could never achieve in ICE vehicles. And in some cases FWD cars can give you more enjoyment than RWD cars, like how current Honda Civic Type-R is a lot more composed, precise and exciting machine than Camaro, Charger or Mustang in the same price range but that is not the issue here.

My point is that premium driving experience can be delivered in FWD as we can see in Audi's case. A6 rides better than 5 series and sure as hell rides better than stiff and clunky E-class which sold in tens of thousands for some reason, RLX drives better than E-class. Lexus RX is very close to that premium driving experience with FWD compared to Toyota counterpart but it's still missing few bits and pieces to get there. It's CT, NX and ES to a degree that completely miss out on providing different experience than Toyota and that is where I see the problem with Lexus FWD product. Not only do they drive like Toyota Avensis, RAV-4 and Camry but they smell like them too. Lexus engineers can claim they replaced hundreds of parts on chassis but that doesn't mean they drive any better cause they don't. Lexus remedy for such thing is obviously more affordable price and that is completely OK, there is market for such vehicles. But they are still far away from even RX driving experience, let alone GS experience.

Again it's not because GS is RWD so it must provide better experience, rather its dedicated custom made chassis for Lexus requirements that does that. If Lexus ever engineers its own FWD chassis I sure bet it would drive hundred times better than any FWD Toyota out there, but since that is not happening I also vote for Lexus to build new SUVs on their new Global Platform. There is room for some sporty oriented large utility that would be direct competitor to RR Sport or Cayenne.
Old 02-08-17, 09:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Don't agree about RWD not having a benefit in a car like the LS vs FWD. The RWD layout changes the whole look and feel of the vehicle.

Audis are not traditional FWD cars, they don't have a transverse layout, essentially they are longitudinal RWD biased AWD cars.
Old 02-08-17, 09:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I don't want to get off track, but it's Mercedes' styling that I don't care for. Nothing otherwise against them. I think the X5 is a much better looking vehicle.
No worries, no need to get this side tracked. I was just wondering.

Originally Posted by Vladi

My point is that premium driving experience can be delivered in FWD as we can see in Audi's case. A6 rides better than 5 series and sure as hell rides better than stiff and clunky E-class which sold in tens of thousands for some reason, RLX drives better than E-class. Lexus RX is very close to that premium driving experience with FWD compared to Toyota counterpart but it's still missing few bits and pieces to get there. It's CT, NX and ES to a degree that completely miss out on providing different experience than Toyota and that is where I see the problem with Lexus FWD product. Not only do they drive like Toyota Avensis, RAV-4 and Camry but they smell like them too. Lexus engineers can claim they replaced hundreds of parts on chassis but that doesn't mean they drive any better cause they don't. Lexus remedy for such thing is obviously more affordable price and that is completely OK, there is market for such vehicles. But they are still far away from even RX driving experience, let alone GS experience.
Come on seriously? Smell like them. The lower end Lexus smell fine. So do Toyota products.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-08-17 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-08-17, 09:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Yeah, and Kia probably sold 70,000 of whatever crapbucket SUVs they make.
Kia doesn't make "crapbasket" products anymore....those days went out 10-15 years ago. If you don't take our word for it, go check some of them out for yourself. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 02-08-17, 07:30 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I never believed that premium driving experience must be utilized on RWD platform. Whole RWD thing was more of follow the Germans than anything else really. RWD in car like LS doesn't bring any more to the table than FWD or AWD, if chassis and drivetrain is made just right you could never tell the difference in two tone car if it's RWD or FWD. Now if we are talking about spirited driving experience then yes RWD is in 90% cases better than FWD but still not as good as torque vectored AWD. Once EVs get independent motors for each wheel then we will reach another point in spirited sports driving that we could never achieve in ICE vehicles. And in some cases FWD cars can give you more enjoyment than RWD cars, like how current Honda Civic Type-R is a lot more composed, precise and exciting machine than Camaro, Charger or Mustang in the same price range but that is not the issue here.

Again it's not because GS is RWD so it must provide better experience, rather its dedicated custom made chassis for Lexus requirements that does that. If Lexus ever engineers its own FWD chassis I sure bet it would drive hundred times better than any FWD Toyota out there, but since that is not happening I also vote for Lexus to build new SUVs on their new Global Platform. There is room for some sporty oriented large utility that would be direct competitor to RR Sport or Cayenne.
Agreed that there are some FWD cars that are a blast to drive. My '04 Acura TL was one of them, although torque steer can become an issue with high-output engines. Re: Audi, the ride is most definitely better with FWD, but the driving experience is better with Quattro AWD.
Old 02-08-17, 11:42 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

IS/GS platform isn't just RWD , it is also aluminium bonnet & aluminum suspension with double wishbone front & multilink rear to keep tires more perpendicular to road to maximise grip, plus engine behind front axle for near 50/50 weight distribution.

IS/GS also have better leather & plastics.

IMO, Jill is right, Lexus is deliberately basing NX/RX off Toyota platforms only because they can get away with it through hot sales.
If sales plummeted, they'd move to rear drive platforms...
Old 02-09-17, 11:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
IMO, Jill is right, Lexus is deliberately basing NX/RX off Toyota platforms only because they can get away with it through hot sales.
If sales plummeted, they'd move to rear drive platforms...
It's not a question of "getting away with it". Car-based crossovers are what a lot of customers want these days....at least for small and mid-size models. If automakers still did small and medium sized SUVs off of truck-based, BOF platforms (like the former ones from Suzuki, for instance), even though BOFs are usually better of-road, customers would complain about the ride comfort, handling, and general road manners. Very few owners of SUVs these days (the Jeep Wrangler is one of the few exceptions) actually go off-road with any kind of regularity, anyway.
Old 02-09-17, 12:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The issue is not the car based crossover, it's what car platform they choose to base them off of. Many enthusiasts like me want to buy cars based off of premium platforms that aren't transverse FWD layouts or based on mainstream models. For us, there is no Lexus crossover option. Does Lexus care? I think ultimately they should.
Old 02-09-17, 12:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
IMO, Jill is right, Lexus is deliberately basing NX/RX off Toyota platforms only because they can get away with it through hot sales. If sales plummeted, they'd move to rear drive platforms...
I don't agree with you that if sales plummet then they would switch over to RWD. The $40K-$50K cross-over segment is where everyone wants to be if you are a mainstream luxury brand. BMW X5 starts at $58K whereas the Lexus RX is running at $43K. The prices would go up if they moved to RWD.
Old 02-09-17, 05:32 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What don't you like about the offering?
Aside from the GLC, Merc's SUVs are pretty outdated and inferior to the competition IMO. From the interiors to the driving dynamics, they are out of date despite the recent refresh.
Old 02-09-17, 05:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Aside from the GLC, Merc's SUVs are pretty outdated and inferior to the competition IMO. From the interiors to the driving dynamics, they are out of date despite the recent refresh.
I agree 100%, overall unimpressive.
Old 02-09-17, 06:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Mercedes G-Wagon (Gelandewagen) will probably never be outdated. Though the design goes back more than 35 years (as a German/Austrian military vehicle), it is built like a tank, and still sells today.

If you have never seen how this vehicle is built, go check one out for yourself.....it is literally like a bank-vault.

Old 02-09-17, 06:06 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I agree 100%, overall unimpressive.
They're solid SUV's with attractive deals, which is why they still sell. The styling just looks bleh compared to the rest of the newer lineup and the competition though, I agree. I actually still really like the exterior styling of the GLS and GLE coupe.

2018 will bring us the unveil of the new GLE and G, with the new GLS coming in 2019.
Old 02-21-17, 08:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
But yet you can't be sure that you've actually driven one.
The SRT8 is not in any way an elite handler for an SUV. You don't even need to go to a Cayenne to get something better.
revisiting this... when did you drive one? the srt8 has adaptive dampers and much upgraded suspension over a regular GC.
according to this (otherwise dreadful lol) road test video - they say it achieves .9G in cornering which is amazing.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-21-17 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-21-17, 11:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
revisiting this... when did you drive one? the srt8 has adaptive dampers and much upgraded suspension over a regular GC.
according to this (otherwise dreadful lol) road test video - they say it achieves .9G in cornering which is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQMsvHawGl8
Its been since the WK2 first came out in 2011.

Quick Reply: Lexus is moving away from sedans and toward SUVs