Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus is moving away from sedans and toward SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-17, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Anyhow, I think we were talking about Lexus SUVs. An interesting question will be if both the GX and LX survive as truck-based BOF designs. I wouldn't bet on it, as Lexus seems to not need two different truck-based designs.
Old 02-05-17, 06:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Anyhow, I think we were talking about Lexus SUVs. An interesting question will be if both the GX and LX survive as truck-based BOF designs. I wouldn't bet on it, as Lexus seems to not need two different truck-based designs.
I don't have much faith in Lexus these days at all. Even if they kill off BOF GX, it will likely just get replaced by a FWD based 7 seater SUV.
Old 02-05-17, 08:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

The gc srt8 handles very well for a 5000lb suv!

even if a cayenne handles better, i always wonder who can really drive a big suv like a sports car. Such a person obviously doesn't carry ANY loose items in it as they'd go EVERYWHERE.

the gc srt8 had plenty handling when i drove one about a year ago imo. Lexus certainly has nothing to compete with it.
Old 02-05-17, 08:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

the gc srt8 had plenty handling when i drove one about a year ago imo. Lexus certainly has nothing to compete with it.
Absolutely. That's a given.......though, I suspect, that, somewhere down the line, the Lexus marketers might get around to doing a full-F version (not just an F-Sport) of one or more of their SUVs, just as Mercedes does with its AMG SUVs.
Old 02-05-17, 08:35 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

even if a cayenne handles better, i always wonder who can really drive a big suv like a sports car. Such a person obviously doesn't carry ANY loose items in it as they'd go EVERYWHERE.

I'm definitely the target market for hi-po SUV's. There's cargo tie-downs for a reason. I love being able to go on mountain roads and keep a spirited pace without having the SUV heaving every where, even though my passengers might.
Old 02-05-17, 08:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Absolutely. That's a given.......though, I suspect, that, somewhere down the line, the Lexus marketers might get around to doing a full-F version (not just an F-Sport) of one or more of their SUVs, just as Mercedes does with its AMG SUVs.
They would have to start by building an SUV that is based on proper chassis, before they can even think of building an SUV that can compete with AMG or M SUVs. The FWD crapbucket chassis that RX and NX are based on are not cut out to handle required torque or suspension to even remotely compete.
Old 02-07-17, 05:38 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 203 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
They would have to start by building an SUV that is based on proper chassis, before they can even think of building an SUV that can compete with AMG or M SUVs. The FWD crapbucket chassis that RX and NX are based on are not cut out to handle required torque or suspension to even remotely compete.
Agreed. Even if it's not a bespoke SUV platform, they'd at least have to put it on the GS platform to get a proper driveline and suspension setup, before this would even be an option. Mazda and Acura have probably taken the FWD-based SUV about as far as it can go in the handling/fun-to-drive department, which is still light-years behind even a non sport-package BMW X or Audi Q, to say nothing of the Cayenne. I had a base V6 as a rental for 2.5 weeks a couple of years ago, and it was truly impressive how much fun that thing was to drive, despite being (on paper, at least) heavy and underpowered.

My wife's RX, by comparison, is the very definition of a soulless transportation appliance. There can be no "single letter" variant, because the DNA just isn't there.

Last edited by geko29; 02-07-17 at 05:45 AM.
Old 02-07-17, 07:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29

My wife's RX, by comparison, is the very definition of a soulless transportation appliance. There can be no "single letter" variant, because the DNA just isn't there.
and that's just it, the best selling cars are on FWD chassis and are on the rather boring or (soulless) side. Lexus sells way more FWD chassis products, people seem to love them in North America.
Old 02-07-17, 08:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
and that's just it, the best selling cars are on FWD chassis and are on the rather boring or (soulless) side. Lexus sells way more FWD chassis products, people seem to love them in North America.
Yes, our previous RX and now our Highlander (wrecked this weekend, unfortunately) have been fantastic vehicles that we have loved. The fact that they are FWD based don't bother me at all. I've owned a RWD based SUV before.

The FWD layout doesn't bother me in a CUV because I buy them to be comfortable, roomy, safe family haulers which can handle the occasional mountain pass trip or snow day with ease.

In a sedan I much prefer a RWD based layout.

So for us, Highlander for family duty, GS for fun.
Old 02-07-17, 08:47 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 203 Likes on 155 Posts

That's absolutely where the mass market is, no question. No one's saying they should discontinue or dramatically re-architect the RX or NX.

The discussion had morphed somewhat into whether Lexus should try to also venture into the semi-enthusiast sub-market with a full "F" SUV. This is not a viable strategy with their current lineup, as the current platforms are incapable of competing in that market segment. That doesn't say anything good or bad about their current strategy, just that they cannot (currently) branch successfully in this direction.
Old 02-07-17, 08:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
That's absolutely where the mass market is, no question. No one's saying they should discontinue or dramatically re-architect the RX or NX.

The discussion had morphed somewhat into whether Lexus should try to also venture into the semi-enthusiast sub-market with a full "F" SUV. This is not a viable strategy with their current lineup, as the current platforms are incapable of competing in that market segment. That doesn't say anything good or bad about their current strategy, just that they cannot (currently) branch successfully in this direction.
Yup. While the FWD layout suits my needs, I absolutely would love to see Lexus come up with a RWD based SUV to compete with the competitor offerings.
Old 02-07-17, 09:34 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
So true that they don't know, or do know, but don't care...
I think part of it has to do with us aging. Couple years back when I was looking for something to replace the GS I also test drove the GX. I then decided to get the f sport because I didn't feel the GX would "fit me". That feeling certainly changed over the past few years. I'm so much more happier when I drive the GX now. I do know a thing or two about the GX but that really didn't matter. What matters is I like the driving and my family likes the vehicle.
Old 02-07-17, 11:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I think part of it has to do with us aging.
Also, the obvious fact that as most people age, it becomes more difficult (but not necessarily impossible) for them to regularly stoop or bend themselves into a pretzel while getting in and out of low-slung vehicles. Many SUVs, particularly the smaller, car-based, crossover ones, have the drivers' seat right about at butt height, so sliding in and out is relatively simple. I found it quite easy, for example, to get in and out of my Subaru Outback.
Old 02-07-17, 12:11 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

This only works on inexpensive luxury SUVs.
Once you step up to $65k plus which is quite average price, RWD based SUVs dominate because they offer superior driving dynamics, ride comfort and drivetrain smothness.

The SUV market will only get more sport oriented and Lexus is already behind when you consider the Fpace, Levant, new AlfaRomeo Stelvio, new X3 and X3M around the corner.....
Old 02-07-17, 10:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The SUV market will only get more sport oriented and Lexus is already behind when you consider the Fpace, Levant, new AlfaRomeo Stelvio, new X3 and X3M around the corner.....
What makes you think that Lexus is going to sell to the Fpace, Alfa, X3 crowds. This is not their target market. Lexus already has two RWD body on frame SUVs. They are designed for a totally different crowd than what you mentioned. Just consider that Toyota with the 4Runner/GX and Land Cruiser/LX have been serving their customers since the mid 80s. Sport is not what Lexus SUVs are known for. Why would they want or need to change their recipe for the best selling luxury SUV?

Quick Reply: Lexus is moving away from sedans and toward SUVs