Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda Miata fans...a new RF version is available.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 04:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Mazda Miata fans...a new RF version is available.

(Disclaimer: This is NOT my video)

https://www.mazda.ca/en/vehicles/2017-mx-5-rf/overview/

For those of you who love the always-fun-to-drive (except in snow) Mazda Miata (though entry/exit and ergonomics can be a little difficult for persons my size), a new RF (Retractable Fastback) version is now available. Unfortunately, it seems only available on the Mazda version, and not on the Miata's Fiat 124 Spyder clone (the Spyder, IMO, overall, is better-looking than the Miata, and would benefit even more from that styling).

The RF differs sharply from the Miata's usual power-retractable hardtop option in that it has a rigidly-attached overhead structure (which should help the rigidity of the body structure as compared to the soft-top convertible), with swept B-pillars that imitate a classic semi-tunnel-effect fastback....somewhat similar to the late-60s Dodge Chargers, for those of you who remember them. The center of the roof folds back, with a power mechanism, and disappears, while the side-fairings pop back up in place, creating a semi-convertible Targa effect. Interesting design......but, as I see it, but, unless one has limited use of his or her arms and hands (such as with arthritis) or parks in high-crime areas where it is easy to slash the soft-top open with a knife, I think the original soft-top version, with its manual, ingeniously-simple-to-operate roof mechanism, still makes the most sense for a typical buyer.

I'm going back to the D.C. Auto Show Friday for probably my last day there this year (the Mazda display is among those I have not seen yet), and I hope to see one in person. The Mazda reps will probably have some updates on its availability.

And, as Always.......Happy Car Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-01-17 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-01-17, 05:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like it but would prefer a Mazdaspeed version before I'd even consider.....
Old 02-01-17, 06:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I saw it at the DC show, I like it!
Old 02-01-17, 06:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I saw it at the DC show, I like it!

Thanks....I know, then, that it will probably be there when I go back.
Old 02-01-17, 06:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The Mazda display is on my list to visit at the upcoming Chicago show. A revised CX 5 is coming out sometime in late-spring early summer and we're going to take a close look at it as a possible replacement for one of our cars. Pictures from the LA show look promising.
Old 02-01-17, 07:15 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm going back to the D.C. Auto Show Friday for probably my last day there this year (the Mazda display is among those I have not seen yet), and I hope to see one in person. The Mazda reps will probably have some updates on its availability.
It's already started arriving at dealers. I'm not a huge fan. Would've preferred a coupe.
Old 02-01-17, 07:59 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They specifically went with a unique design to try to attract a different type of buyer. The one that wants the full open air experience will no doubt just go with the simple soft top full roadster. The RF has a unique silhouette and driving environment. Kudos to Mazda for trying something different.
Old 02-01-17, 08:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
It's already started arriving at dealers. I'm not a huge fan. Would've preferred a coupe.
With the top up, it is a coupe
Old 02-01-17, 10:41 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
With the top up, it is a coupe
The weight gain is the same top up or top down.
Old 02-01-17, 11:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

True, hadn't thought of it from a weight perspective
Old 02-03-17, 03:25 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Even if the RF version weighs a bit more I love this Miata. I'd never retract that top. Look at the body lines!

Now if the RF can be had with the LSD and the four piston brake package it will be perfect just like the 2017 BRZ Performance Package with four piston brakes (and minus the spoiler).
Old 02-05-17, 10:12 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I think it looks cool, but the execution is a total gimmick. There is no reason this thing should have all those hinges and electric motors and moving panels. Reminds me of the current Porsche 911 Targa in terms of its absurdity. Its just as complicated as a retractable full convertible hardtop, but doesn't give you the benefit of the full convertible experience.

I really wouldn't be such a debbie downer if they had just made the B-pillar fixed, the rear window roll down, and make the top a targa style affair. IE undo a latch, take it off, store it in the trunk. Much simpler, still looks cool(I really do like the look of the RF), you don't have the weight of the motors/hinges, those motors/hinges don't break 5 years from now and cost you $2000 to fix. Miatas are supposed to be simple, back to basics, no gimmick type of car.

I'm sure it will attract a different type of buyer and will sell on style alone, but it does fly in the face of Miata convention of keeping things light, simple, and low cost.
Old 02-06-17, 06:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Even if the RF version weighs a bit more I love this Miata. I'd never retract that top. Look at the body lines!
Actually, the entire top doesn't retract. It's an interesting system......all of the panels go down at first , but only the top center "Targa" panel remains retracted, while the side-panels pop back up for a tunnel-fastback effect.
Old 02-06-17, 06:20 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, the entire top doesn't retract. It's an interesting system......all of the panels go down at first , but only the top center "Targa" panel remains retracted, while the side-panels pop back up for a tunnel-fastback effect.
Old 02-06-17, 06:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

saw one in person at C&C this weekend. I watched the guy operate the roof, it was very nice