Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

As a Lexus driver, what are you tired of hearing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-17, 09:41 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to get annoyed that people said I would get bored with Lexus eventually and want more power. In the end, those people were right though. I did get bored and went with a BMW, but we just got my wife a new RX and it's a great car. She loves Lexus, but the engine tunes on all the cars including the new GS-F are a little on the boring side.
Old 01-25-17, 10:11 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my Lexuses and modded the hell out of them, lot of people were saying: if you like driving, why don't you get a BMW...

but what pissed me the most, is people keep saying: nice Toyota. Sigh
Old 01-25-17, 10:11 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Used car lot, been looking for a Miata to replace my SC300.

Fat used car troll salesman:

"That's a nice little Acura you got there"
Completely ignore him, keep looking at the pos 2000 Miata they have for sale at $6900 with 100k miles, no documented service history and a complete repaint. A complete repaint done rather badly IMO. Just keep looking at the car, inspecting under the hood, looking at the body, shut lines, checking vin stickers on all the panels for a good 2 or 3 minutes. Dude just keeps yammering on, I just completely ignore him until he repeats himself.

"That's a nice little Acura you got there"
"Dude its a ****ing Lexus." Just the way he said it was kind of demeaning, gave him the lecture. "#1 rule of a car salesman, don't say **** about a customer's current car right off the bat, good or bad. They might love their little beat to **** 1999 Cavalier or hate their new Mercedes. Of course all that logic flies out the window when they start talking about trading it in"

Straight up what I told him. We both got a bit of a laugh in, I told him honestly the Miata wasn't for me and I felt it was overpriced. He kind of agreed with me and said it had been there for a LONG while, we shook hands and left.

Last edited by Aron9000; 01-25-17 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-25-17, 10:24 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

"Dude aren't you too young to be driving a Lexus? The minimum age requirement is like 65." Then they actually see the GS F Sport and hit me with a "wait, THIS is a Lexus!?"
Old 01-25-17, 11:31 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
"Dude aren't you too young to be driving a Lexus? The minimum age requirement is like 65." Then they actually see the GS F Sport and hit me with a "wait, THIS is a Lexus!?"
I had similar comments driving my old Cadillacs, a 1995 Fleetwood and a 1991 Brougham D'Elegance. I really didn't give a ****, as I kind of thought, yeah old farts drive them, but then again they represent a bygone era of motoring. Yet they're reliable enough to drive daily and get me halfway across the continent in style and comfort with 4 people, something I did a couple of times with both cars.
Old 01-26-17, 12:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I get zero annoying comments from anyone. When I tell them what I drive, they compliment the choice and convey respect. Lexus is regarded highly by non-Lexus owners. It's an earned reputation because they build great cars. If people are getting negative comments, I'd wager to say there is some immaturity taking place, along with jealousy.
Old 01-26-17, 06:41 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Tired of hearing the new LS500 needs a V8
Old 01-26-17, 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Tired of hearing the new LS500 needs a V8
I understand what you are saying, but IMO, there is only one effective solution for that one LOL.............

Old 01-26-17, 09:15 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blacksc400
When I had my Lexuses and modded the hell out of them, lot of people were saying: if you like driving, why don't you get a BMW...

but what pissed me the most, is people keep saying: nice Toyota. Sigh
Lol I still think exactly that when I see a modded Lexus, which is very rare. I assume that person must be a JDM enthusiast or something b/c BMWs are far superior cars to drive.
Old 01-26-17, 01:09 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

When I had my SC I got comments like nice Toyota or it's the same as a Solara. Someone in a Solara wanted to run me once he saw me parked his friends quickly told him that was a bad idea lol I was 2jzgte swapped then. Had a guy a long time ago in a BMW 328 coupe at a light tell me nice Toyota and punched it when it went green, he didn't get far I was on 1jz with stock twins then and mauled him. I miss the SC how sleeper it was, Supra everyone assumes I make 1000HP lol.

I have a GS400 and get nothing but positive comments no nice Toyota or anything I think the GS commands a lot of respect especially the 2nd Gen ones like I have.
Old 01-26-17, 01:19 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

"Is that engine ticking sound normal?"
Old 01-27-17, 06:14 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Typically it's "How much you want for it?" and less commonly "Wanna run it?"

I decline both offers.
Old 01-27-17, 06:36 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
When I had my SC I got comments like nice Toyota or it's the same as a Solara. Someone in a Solara wanted to run me once he saw me parked his friends quickly told him that was a bad idea lol I was 2jzgte swapped then. Had a guy a long time ago in a BMW 328 coupe at a light tell me nice Toyota and punched it when it went green, he didn't get far I was on 1jz with stock twins then and mauled him. I miss the SC how sleeper it was, Supra everyone assumes I make 1000HP lol.

I have a GS400 and get nothing but positive comments no nice Toyota or anything I think the GS commands a lot of respect especially the 2nd Gen ones like I have.
Good point about the GS, as there is nothing like it in the Toyota line. I've had a couple people ask me if the LS is the same as an Avalon, to which I politely tell them it's vastly different.
Old 01-27-17, 06:52 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Have to agree. I had one, it was a monster with the right mods. Loved that car. Bought it here on CL.

Any respect it didn't command on reputation was quickly earned with a blip of the throttle.
Attached Thumbnails As a Lexus driver, what are you tired of hearing?-gs27.jpg   As a Lexus driver, what are you tired of hearing?-gs04.jpg   As a Lexus driver, what are you tired of hearing?-gs22.jpg   As a Lexus driver, what are you tired of hearing?-gs36.jpg  
Old 01-28-17, 06:41 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When I had my '13 GS F Sport I parked it at The Parking Spot under a tent, rear facing out, beside other cars. The van driver that took me back to my car said, "Silver Camry". I took it in stride. I still think the 4GS is a fine-looking car to this day. Nice lines, not overdone (except the latest grille) and looks nothing like a Camry.

Quick Reply: As a Lexus driver, what are you tired of hearing?