Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

As a Lexus driver, what are you tired of hearing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-17, 12:01 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default As a Lexus driver, what are you tired of hearing?

The curated content team at ClubLexus is interested in writing an article about the things Lexus drivers are sick and tired of hearing from non-Lexus drivers. We'd love your input right here in this thread.

For example, how many of you who drive an SC are sick and tired of other drivers pulling up to you at a light wanting to race? That sort of thing!

Thanks for your invaluable input!
Old 01-25-17, 12:12 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people who don't really know much about cars keep telling me I drive an overpriced Toyota; that is something seriously getting old to me.

I notice people try to race me more in the GS than they do in any other of my cars.
Old 01-25-17, 12:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dat dude
A lot of people who don't really know much about cars keep telling me I drive an overpriced Toyota;..
I get what you are saying. But it does say Manufactured by Toyota Motor Corp on the Lexus door jam.
Old 01-25-17, 12:21 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

nice nissan
you should turbo it
Old 01-25-17, 01:03 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

I was told by others that Lexus vehicles are for middle-class folks that can't afford true luxury vehicles while BMWs and Mercedes are more prestigious and owning one shows the world you're rich and successful in life...typical German luxury brand pedestal...
Old 01-25-17, 01:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I haven't owned a Lexus since 2005, but when I was driving one, a number of the older folks kept telling me that Buick and Cadillac made better products. No, they didn't....not at least back then. Back then, Lexus could blow GM out of the water in build-quality. GM build-quality did not to noticeably improve until after the 2009 buyout....and reached its peak in the last several years with the small, Opel-derived Buicks.
Old 01-25-17, 01:32 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I've heard the "over priced Toyota" comment and people assume I spent waaaaaaayyy more than what I actually paid for them....
Old 01-25-17, 02:41 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i welcome those who assume that my car is just a FWD V6 more expensive camry, it leaves much more room to impress!! apart from maybe Rob Ferretti, i've yet to come across someone even remotely into cars who wasn't super impressed by the LS. i remember one time a friend of mine was walking up to the car, and she goes "oh i think my grandpa had one of these" LOL... damn right it's the grandpamobile, but it's THE grandpamobile... you'll never be late to bingo when you have an LS. i often hear "yakuza" being associated with it lol, never get tired of that!

despite the intentions, i don't consider "it's just a toyota" an insult, toyota makes the best cars! i also can't fault toyota for establishing lexus as a standalone marque, but people in this country forget (or rather are unaware) that toyota has made full size highly luxurious cars for decades, just not in this country as a "toyota" since there's lexus here. they've made the Crown for a long time in japan as well as the Crown Majesta, and lets not forget the V12 powered Century, the car that the emperor himself gets driven around in!
Old 01-25-17, 03:07 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Yeap, I agree with the whole "Lexus is not a real luxury brand like BMW or MB, is just an expensive Toyota"... that gets old real fast since they don't know what they are talking about. If this were the case then someone who owns a Bugatti would just be driving an overpriced Volkswagen... I also specially hated it, back when I had my 2IS and 3IS, when someone would tell me I had a luxury version of the Toyota Corolla... I wanted to smack 'em in the head. The Corolla and the IS350s I had, have absolutely nothing in common. V6 vs. 4cyl, 306hp vs. 140hp, rwd vs. fwd, Luxury vs. Economy, completely different chassis etc, etc. Again, they have no idea what they are saying and the worst part is they want to argue with you to death about how much they are right and you are wrong. I would tell these people to go read a book and educate themselves but books are almost extinct so now it's "go Google it and educate yourself!" lol

Another one that gets me now is when people see my car and asks if it's a 4 cylinder.... in which case I then proceed to do Google's job and educate them about what an RC-F is...
Old 01-25-17, 06:12 PM
smualum11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a 16 RX owner.. the predator grill references are already quite old and I'm only 3 months in.
Old 01-25-17, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
I also specially hated it, back when I had my 2IS and 3IS, when someone would tell me I had a luxury version of the Toyota Corolla... I wanted to smack 'em in the head. The Corolla and the IS350s I had, have absolutely nothing in common. V6 vs. 4cyl, 306hp vs. 140hp, rwd vs. fwd, Luxury vs. Economy, completely different chassis etc, etc. Again, they have no idea what they are saying and the worst part is they want to argue with you to death about how much they are right and you are wrong.
That's because a lot of people want to use blogs, forums, comment-sections, etc.... to argue just for the sake of arguing, instead of exchanging useful information back and forth....it's often an ego issue. Anyone posting on a car forum who does not know the simple difference between a FWD Corolla economy sedan/hatchback and a RWD/AWD sport-sedan like the IS needs to do a whole lot more listening than talking....or a lot more research.

For example, I'll sometimes disagree with people, but if they can show credible facts to support them, or a credible argument to back them up, I will concede part or all of the point.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-25-17 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-25-17, 07:37 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

As a Lexus driver, what am I tired of hearing? I am tired of listening to all the whinging about how ugly the spindle grille is and how Lexus should just give it up.

I don't hear it from non-Lexus drivers. In fact, I have had mostly praise from colleagues who complimented and congratulated me for driving a car as nice as a Lexus.
Old 01-25-17, 07:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
As a Lexus driver, what am I tired of hearing? I am tired of listening to all the whinging about how ugly the spindle grille is and how Lexus should just give it up.
No offense, Sulu, but I wouldn't bet the farm that that one is going to stop LOL.
Old 01-25-17, 08:04 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahahah nobody is going to try and race a Lexus SC for obvious reasons. That was hilarious.

Anyhow, I've only heard compliments on how nice the car looks. The 2nd gen IS, especially after the refresh, is a timeless design and IMO the best looking Lexus of all time.
Old 01-25-17, 08:07 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
Yeap, I agree with the whole "Lexus is not a real luxury brand like BMW or MB, is just an expensive Toyota"... that gets old real fast since they don't know what they are talking about. If this were the case then someone who owns a Bugatti would just be driving an overpriced Volkswagen... I also specially hated it, back when I had my 2IS and 3IS, when someone would tell me I had a luxury version of the Toyota Corolla... I wanted to smack 'em in the head. The Corolla and the IS350s I had, have absolutely nothing in common. V6 vs. 4cyl, 306hp vs. 140hp, rwd vs. fwd, Luxury vs. Economy, completely different chassis etc, etc. Again, they have no idea what they are saying and the worst part is they want to argue with you to death about how much they are right and you are wrong. I would tell these people to go read a book and educate themselves but books are almost extinct so now it's "go Google it and educate yourself!" lol

Another one that gets me now is when people see my car and asks if it's a 4 cylinder.... in which case I then proceed to do Google's job and educate them about what an RC-F is...
I'm the first person to criticize Lexus for it's Toyota underpinnings here and there (like those stupid cruise control stalks), but those minor underpinnings are so disguised nowadays that anybody calling a Lexus an "overpriced Toyota" is just full of it. The only car you can really make that argument for is the ES, which is pretty well-differentiated lately.

Quick Reply: As a Lexus driver, what are you tired of hearing?