Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick to introduce Avenir as a Luxury Sub-Brand

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-17, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'm thinking its more this.

I bet it ends up being closer to Denali. Genesis is now its own brand period, not a sub-brand. Maybe similar to Genesis of old.
To an extent....but that's where it gets confusing. Genesis is indeed a sub-brand of the Hyundai corporation, supposedly (now) distinct from the bread-and butter Hyundai division, yet still sold and serviced through the same physical dealerships. Same with Ford and Lincoln...Lincolns are considered an upmarket division, yet don't have their own stand-alone dealerships. With the Avenir, it's placement within the Buick/GM heirachy is going to be even more confusing because, unlike Hyundai, Buicks are often sold and serviced out the same dealerships as Chevy and GMC. Cadillac, IMO, is the one that is likely going to end up suffering the most, since the Avenir is likely to encroach on sales of both the CTS and CT6. Many potential Cadillac buyers, for example, are GM fans, but don't like the Cadillac CUE system.......the Avenir may give them a credible alternative (besides switching to Lincoln). Buicks even carry the same warranty (6/70, 4/50) that Cadillacs do...even the inexpensive Verano and Encore.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-20-17 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-20-17, 07:19 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To an extent....but that's where it gets confusing. Genesis is indeed a sub-brand of the Hyundai corporation, supposedly (now) distinct from the bread-and butter Hyundai division, yet still sold and serviced through the same physical dealerships. Same with Ford and Lincoln...LIncolns are considered an upmarket division, yet don't have their own stand-alone dealerships. With the Avenir, it's placement within the Buick/GM heirachy is going to be even more confusing because, unlike Hyundai, Buicks are often sold and serviced out the same dealerships as Chevy and GMC. Cadillac, IMO, is the one that is likely going to end up suffering the most, since the Avenir is likely to encroach on sales of both the CTS and CT6. Many potential Cadillac buyers, for example, are GM fans, but don't like the Cadillac CUE system.......the Avenir may give them a credible alternative (besides switching to Lincoln). Buicks even carry the same warranty (6/70, 4/50) that Cadillacs do...even the inexpensive Verano and Encore.
But will it be any more confusing than Denali? I really don't think so. This Avenir press release isn't new news, they've been talking about it for quite some time now.
Old 01-20-17, 08:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So in a nutshell: Avenir is to Buick as Denali is to GMC
OK--so Buick is re-naming their really nice trim level. Wow.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-20-17 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-20-17, 08:51 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
OK--so Buick is re-naming their really nice trim level. Wow.
Yeah, their current trim level names kind of suck anyways. They used to use Premium I, Premium II? Now they have Preferred/Essence/Premium. Which one is better than the next one??

I thought they would utilize something like "Ultra" which they had used historically. But looks like they're trying to leverage the associations of the successful concept car.
Old 01-20-17, 10:07 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Buick Denali it is
Old 01-20-17, 02:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Yeah, their current trim level names kind of suck anyways. They used to use Premium I, Premium II? Now they have Preferred/Essence/Premium. Which one is better than the next one?? .
Does this really truly make any difference to you? Nice cheap shot
Old 01-20-17, 03:07 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Does whether or not a Verano is based on a Cruze make a difference to you? Because you may have mentioned it once or twice.

I'm pretty sure this entire website exists, in large part, as an outlet for criticism.
Old 01-20-17, 04:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Does whether or not a Verano is based on a Cruze make a difference to you? Because you may have mentioned it once or twice.

I'm pretty sure this entire website exists, in large part, as an outlet for criticism.
While I have had my strong comments regarding the Verano in the past, going forward I would rather practice restraint and not go down that road. This website is better when we try to come together as a community.
Old 01-21-17, 03:03 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

This will be a very difficult task to pull off and make successful. Buick already tries to peddle itself as luxurious. And of course that is/was Cadillac's recent mission. I don't know if there is enough room in the GM fold to have a third player.
Old 01-21-17, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This will be a very difficult task to pull off and make successful. Buick already tries to peddle itself as luxurious. And of course that is/was Cadillac's recent mission. I don't know if there is enough room in the GM fold to have a third player.
And, I might add, doing a pretty good job of it. Their sales are up, while Cadillac's are down. Of course, Buick doesn't have to compete against its two former parallel Oldsmobile and Pontiac (or even Saturn) divisions any more, and Cadillac (now) has to compete against a steadily improving Lincoln.
Old 01-21-17, 10:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,754 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I personally think this is a good idea. I definitely see the marketing appeal of Denali. If I'm somebody that is in a position to buy a Buick, but perhaps not a Cadillac, or the Cadillac brand is too ostentatious for me I think this would be a good fit.

I've often said I would buy a Yukon Denali before I bought an Escalade, and I could afford an Escalade.
Old 01-21-17, 11:18 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

You have to remember, Buick makes a good portion of it's revenue in China, so I can see where this would work well over there. As the article mentioned, the Chinese love the Luxury car market and Buick really has a good niche in that country.
Old 01-21-17, 11:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
You have to remember, Buick makes a good portion of it's revenue in China, so I can see where this would work well over there. As the article mentioned, the Chinese love the Luxury car market and Buick really has a good niche in that country.
The idea, though (and I've said this before), that the Chinese market is propping up Buick is outdated. They have had major growth here recently in the U.S....and they would have had even more growth here if they hadn't done such dumb things as cancel the U.S.-market Verano for 2017, and, earlier, the Lucerne. The Verano brought in entry-level buyers, and the Lucerne served as a decent-sized flagship....the LaCrosse, though nice, is not quite large enough The SUVs, especially the Encore, have done especially well lately.
Old 01-21-17, 01:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Buick already tries to peddle itself as luxurious.
Buick won't have any trouble selling a higher trim level. The Buick brand sells 230K units last year in the US and it was their best year since 2005. Add in to the fact that Buick has had the highest increase in sales (4.6%) on the year and you can easily see that there is a market. Also, add in the fact that GM has a very high average transaction price ($4500 higher than the industry average). Should do very well.
Old 01-21-17, 06:32 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How is this a cheap shot?? If anything your trying to make a comment at me about it is more of a cheap shot.

I'm just talking about their lack of consistency and clarity with regard to the conventions of their trim/grade naming strategy, of which this Avenir is a part of (now at the top). I think they would do well have something that is clear and logical so that shoppers and sales associates can effectively understand the value of each. Denali has value because of the consistency that GMC tries to use when it comes to execution across their model line, and has built that equity over many years. Jeep has been trying to do the same with Overland, and now Trailhawk editions.

Quick Reply: Buick to introduce Avenir as a Luxury Sub-Brand