Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bought a new car for the wife - a few notes

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-17, 05:28 AM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bought a new car for the wife - a few notes

Hi all. First want to say I have a '13 GS AWD Luxury that I love. This car was meticulously maintained, inside and out, and it's been flawless.

Fast forward to our latest purchase, a Honda Accord Hybrid Touring model. I do a lot of research when I buy, both with model and price. One of my wife's requirements is that we have one car that gets good gas mileage. Well, as nice as it is, the GS does not sip it's premium fuel. So I know that my GS and my Accord are 4 model yrs apart, but wanted to mention a few things that Lexus should take note of, even on it's less expensive offerings. The Accord Hybrid Touring has these, and I paid $30,400 (great deal for sure). The Lexus is staying, not getting replaced.

1. An easy to use touchscreen. The joystick days are over. Probably my biggest gripe on the GS. We do a fare amount of road travel, and I've learned to use the voice commands for the GPS. But entering one in the GS without voice is downright painful. And Apple/Android CarPlay is awesome.

2. Amazing LED lights from the factory. I like the adaptive lights on my GS, but good LED's are hard to beat. All exterior lights (headlights, running lights, tail lights, etc) are LED on Touring.

3. Honda's safety. Jury is out on lane departure, adaptive cruise, auto braking, etc. But the fact that Honda lets you actually see a live video of your blind spot is great!

4. A cruising range of 770 miles!!!

Anyway, my GS has been great and I plan on keeping it for the long haul. Just wanted to share our latest addition.
Old 01-17-17, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations on your new hybrid.

With tax season coming up, don't forget to take advantage of any local/state/Federal tax credits that a hybrid purchase may be entitied to, and, in some areas, with a hybrid, you are also exempt from the HOV rush-hour rules on crowded freeways.

30K out the door for a brand-new Accord Hybrid Touring model, BTW, sounds excellent, particularly if it has options or accessories....they start at 36K. Are you sure you actually got a brand-new one, and not a demo or one that has some miles on it?

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-17-17 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-17-17, 06:44 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by DP03
1. An easy to use touchscreen. The joystick days are over. Probably my biggest gripe on the GS. We do a fare amount of road travel, and I've learned to use the voice commands for the GPS. But entering one in the GS without voice is downright painful. And Apple/Android CarPlay is awesome.

It was disappointing to see that the 2018 LS will not have Android Auto/Apple Carplay. If Lexus refuses to install this in their flagship in 2018, I don't hold much for the rest of the Lexus line up. Further, Beatsonic which announced an Apple Carplay product for Lexus vehicles at CES2016, has decided to drop the product. So, the prospects for seeing this feature in Lexus are very low indeed.
Old 01-17-17, 07:26 AM
DP03
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations on your new hybrid.

With tax season coming up, don't forget to take advantage of any local/state/Federal tax credits that a hybrid purchase may be entitied to, and, in some areas, with a hybrid, you are also exempt from the HOV rush-hour rules on crowded freeways.

30K out the door for a brand-new Accord Hybrid Touring model, BTW, sounds excellent, particularly if it has options or accessories....they start at 36K. Are you sure you actually got a brand-new one, and not a demo or one that has some miles on it?
Yes, it was brand new. It was 30k plus taxes and tags. But still a crazy deal. I worked hard on it. It was better than the TrueCar offers. A first rate, no nonsense deal from Honda of Annapolis (MD).

Unfortunately the tax breaks are now only for the plug in hybrids. We considered the Volt plug in, but it was 40k for the premier (before negotiations) and you can't get that car with a sunroof or power seats!! But we'll be happy with the 49 mpg (I'm averaging 52 right now)!

Thanks.
Old 01-17-17, 08:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

congrats. besides the awesome mpg and features, how's the drive itself? how seamless is the transition from electric to ice? transmission? how quiet is the car compared to your gs? thanks!

770m range is just awesome.
Old 01-17-17, 08:13 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Congrats on the new ride! I think Honda has an incredibly competitive package in this model.
Old 01-17-17, 11:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DP03
Yes, it was brand new. It was 30k plus taxes and tags. But still a crazy deal. I worked hard on it. It was better than the TrueCar offers. A first rate, no nonsense deal from Honda of Annapolis (MD).
Thanks....Honda of Annapolis is not exactly in my back yard, but not all that terribly far from me, either. Sounds like they are an honest place, and willing to bargain. I might (?) refer some Maryland (or even some Virgina) customers there.
Old 01-17-17, 05:03 PM
DP03
Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
congrats. besides the awesome mpg and features, how's the drive itself? how seamless is the transition from electric to ice? transmission? how quiet is the car compared to your gs? thanks!

770m range is just awesome.
The interaction between the batteries and motors is very seamless. The only complaint I've read on this model is at WOT things get noisy with all the systems working together. I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but otherwise, a very smooth and quiet ride.
Old 01-17-17, 06:11 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Great choice! I leased a '16 Honda Accord LX (base model) for my cousin when she moved to the area. I've driven it on occasion, and even the base model is nicely finished, drives well and represents great value. I'm not crazy about the CVT, but it doesn't drone like many others. I like the styling changes Honda recently made.
Old 01-18-17, 04:33 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Congrats on the hybrid, they're beautiful cars with great engineering. Honda are ramping up production to compete against the likes of the Camry and Fusion hybrids.

You're the first hybrid owner here to mention huge tank range That's an often overlooked benefit. I'm a bit jealous of the 52 mpg figure, Honda's hybrid drivetrain is a lot more efficient than the power-split designs used by everyone else.
Old 01-18-17, 07:59 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

congrats! on the new car; i see myself checking and doing a double take on the new accords/leds its a sad day when Honda beats Lexus in Technology. the 2018 lexus is just adding like 360 camera and some of the features you mentioned. Lexus used to be the pioneer- right now they care more about bigger grills.
Old 01-18-17, 10:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Congrats! The Accord is a very polished car in all it's forms. However, I feel you are comparing apples to oranges when it comes to the GS. Actually, there is no way to compare these two cars. The GS's purpose and intent is to be sporty, not efficient. For that, I feel it serves it's purpose spot on. The Accord is all about practicality, sensibility, and efficiency, which it also serves spot on. Good deals can be had on each car, so your deal sounds about right. Is it a 2017? The facelift was a big improvement over the last rendition. The last edition is still on some dealer's lots, and going for massive discounts.
Enjoy your new car!
Old 01-19-17, 01:45 AM
DP03
Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Congrats! The Accord is a very polished car in all it's forms. However, I feel you are comparing apples to oranges when it comes to the GS. Actually, there is no way to compare these two cars. The GS's purpose and intent is to be sporty, not efficient. For that, I feel it serves it's purpose spot on. The Accord is all about practicality, sensibility, and efficiency, which it also serves spot on. Good deals can be had on each car, so your deal sounds about right. Is it a 2017? The facelift was a big improvement over the last rendition. The last edition is still on some dealer's lots, and going for massive discounts.
Enjoy your new car!
I couldn't agree with you more! At no time was I comparing the Accord Hybrid to the GS. That's why I posted in the Car Chat section, to simply share a new purchase. I love my GS and it will stay my daily driver, the Accord is mostly for my wife. And yes, mine is a '17. Lots of improvements over the model it replaced.

I was just trying to share our new purchase, and to point out a few features on a 30k car that Lexus is slow to adopt, even on cars much more expensive. Never intended this thread to compare the Accord to the GS.
Old 01-19-17, 12:06 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The Accord is probably the most impressive sedan on the market when you factor in price. Its heads and shoulders above its competition right now, when you factor in things like resale value and long term durability/reliability. I like the styling on the Ford Fusion and Mazda 6 better than the Accord, but once again you'll lose your shirt with those models if you want to trade them in 2, 3, 5 years down the road, plus I don't really trust those turbo Ford engines to be problem free.