Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-17, 01:35 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I'm sure they have a "lawyer screen" when you engage Tesla autopilot telling you to pay attention to the road and keep your hands on the wheel to help them avoid liability.

This IMO is the future of self driving cars, they did this back in the 1990's, it would work great today IMO, since its a more closed/controlled environment. There is just no political will to build roads like this though because it costs so much money. Plus this type of interstate system could put a lot of truck drivers out of business, as drivers wouldn't be needed until they got on local roads to deliver freight.

http://gas2.org/2013/05/24/flashback...-of-the-1990s/
Old 01-18-17, 01:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
And I have 100% confidence its not happening. Once again, autonomous cars can only work in perfect world and we don't live in one. We can have a bunch of driver assists that make the car almost autonomous, but it will still require the driver to concentrate on the road and take over control when situation requires so.

I'm actually going to go on a limb here and say that some of the technology that we already have on cars may go away soon. There was already a case of a Darwin award winner who chose to ignore all the warnings his self driving Tesla gave him before taking him out of the gene pool. I'm sure the lawyers will have a field day with this case, and depending on the outcome car manufacturers will likely just drop this technology all together to avoid liability.
Then Google, Mercedes, Tesla, Toyota, Volvo on and on need to fire their CEOs and hire you, because all are heavily investing and invested in autonomous driving technology.

I would make this wager with you using any amount of money LOL Please cite some source which indicates that the technology we already have "may go away soon".
Old 01-18-17, 02:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Then Google, Mercedes, Tesla, Toyota, Volvo on and on need to fire their CEOs and hire you, because all are heavily investing and invested in autonomous driving technology.
They are not heavily vested, its more like a marketing pr for bragging rights and to keep hipsters happy.

I would make this wager with you using any amount of money LOL Please cite some source which indicates that the technology we already have "may go away soon".
Did you read what I wrote? Several lawsuits, and car manufacturers may chose not to include autonomous driving technology in their cars to avoid liability.
Old 01-18-17, 02:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
They are not heavily vested, its more like a marketing pr for bragging rights and to keep hipsters happy.
LOL, okay.

Did you read what I wrote? Several lawsuits, and car manufacturers may chose not to include autonomous driving technology in their cars to avoid liability.
i asked for a source, not your opinion. Where has an executive from an auto manufacturer said they may not include autonomous driving features because of liability? What automaker has removed autonomous features once they have implemented them? In fact automakers have said they would shoulder any liability, I.E. Volvo.

I can can say I think carmakers are going to stop using keyless entry and start. Doesn't mean I have any idea what I'm talking about.
Old 01-18-17, 02:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

LOL, okay.

i asked for a source, not your opinion. Where has an executive from an auto manufacturer said they may not include autonomous driving features because of liability? What automaker has removed autonomous features once they have implemented them? In fact automakers have said they would shoulder any liability, I.E. Volvo.

I can can say I think carmakers are going to stop using keyless entry and start. Doesn't mean I have any idea what I'm talking about.
I clearly stated that it was just my opinion. I'm also pretty sure there are lawyers out there just waiting for disasters involving self driving cars to happen, so that they can have a field day in court.
Old 01-18-17, 03:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sitting in a bar right now for happy hour. Audi commercial on...what's it about? Autonomous driving. Pictures of empty cars running around, self driving rally cars. Definitely no investment lol
Old 01-18-17, 03:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Sitting in a bar right now for happy hour. Audi commercial on...what's it about? Autonomous driving. Pictures of empty cars running around, self driving rally cars. Definitely no investment lol
Well, that explains it - you get your information from marketing and commercials. In the real world there are no empty cars running around. Even Google's "self driving car" is anything but - there is still a human driver that constantly has to take over control when autonomous mode can't handle a condition.
Old 01-18-17, 03:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Of course there are no empty cars running around right now. The technology is still under development. They're getting ready to roll out autonomous trucking convoys out west.

I'm not making this up, do some research into it.

Why marketing does tell you is what they're highlighting and where they're trying to go as an organization. The fact that they would film an entire ad about autonomous driving to highlight Audis traffic assist low speed autonomous driving feature speaks volumes about their focus.
Old 01-18-17, 03:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Of course there are no empty cars running around right now. The technology is still under development. They're getting ready to roll out autonomous trucking convoys out west.

I'm not making this up, do some research into it.

Why marketing does tell you is what they're highlighting and where they're trying to go as an organization. The fact that they would film an entire ad about autonomous driving to highlight Audis traffic assist low speed autonomous driving feature speaks volumes about their focus.
Oh my goodness, they filmed an entire ad, holy cow!!!! Did they also film an entire ad about their "clean" diesels with flowers coming out of the tailpipe to highlight their focus? I guess the same people who buy into marketing are the ones who buy into this whole autonomous driving pipe dream.

At least there is one CEO that keeps it honest about self driving cars.

http://jalopnik.com/ferrari-boss-on-...hoo-1762891526
Old 01-18-17, 03:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Surprise, Ferrari isn't interested in self driving cars. Did you read the article? He didn't say self driving cars weren't coming he said you wouldn't have self driving Ferraris. Why would you?

Keep telling yourself that. That whole internet thing is never going to catch on either lol
Old 01-18-17, 03:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Keep telling yourself that. That whole internet thing is never going to catch on either lol
Keep watching commercials and believing the hype. About internet - I was already using BBS systems on 2400 baud modem way before internet access became widely available.
Old 01-18-17, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Truth here on both sides. Self-driving cars may be feasible, in some circumstances (if one can make the technology safe enough, which is by no means guaranteed) for those who are simply too aged or weak to continue to drive themselves. But even then, those aged people would have to be able to program the destination-computers correctly, so the car knows where to go. Otherwise, Och and jadu have made some very good points...I agree with much of what they have said.
Old 01-18-17, 06:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Amazon filed another patent for autonomous driving today, so add Amazon to the list of people foolishly investing in this go nowhere technology lol

Nissan also announced today that they were trialing autonomous cars in London (not a big city?) next month.
Old 01-18-17, 07:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Bring your self driving car to Times Square after 8am, and you'll be sitting there until 3am until the crowd eases and you get a chance to move.
clearly times square will ban cars entirely at some point. it's a ludicrous waste of time, pollution and effort to allow cars there at all. in fact i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of manhattan becomes more pedestrian friendly, but with stiffer penalties (and auto ticketing by facial recognition and cameras) for jay walking. this would allow self-driving cars to be less impeded, and they would do even better without bad human drivers.

Will a self driving car shovel itself out of snow when it gets stuck?
quite possibly yes - it might be able to deploy a small intelligent robot that does all the digging, then goes back in the car when it can move.

What about mechanical failures? What about electronic failures?
cars are already EXTREMELY reliable, and in the event a self-driving car does break down, the car can request another to come by for the passengers to switch to. no big deal.

what happens when an over air updates goes wrong and computer freezes up? What happens when the car loses signal to satellite or several autonomous cars lose signal when communicating with each other?
lots of what ifs that have easy solutions.

self-driving cars are a) already on the road, b) have enormous investment from dozens of companies, and c) have way too much upside not to happen. even apple is allegedly in the game.
Old 01-18-17, 07:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
clearly times square will ban cars entirely at some point. it's a ludicrous waste of time, pollution and effort to allow cars there at all. in fact i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of manhattan becomes more pedestrian friendly, but with stiffer penalties (and auto ticketing by facial recognition and cameras) for jay walking. this would allow self-driving cars to be less impeded, and they would do even better without bad human drivers.

quite possibly yes - it might be able to deploy a small intelligent robot that does all the digging, then goes back in the car when it can move.

cars are already EXTREMELY reliable, and in the event a self-driving car does break down, the car can request another to come by for the passengers to switch to. no big deal.

lots of what ifs that have easy solutions.

self-driving cars are a) already on the road, b) have enormous investment from dozens of companies, and c) have way too much upside not to happen. even apple is allegedly in the game.
Bit, I'm not even sure if you're serious or just trolling. Yes, lets ban cars from the cities, lets ban non self driving cars, and lets have a bunch of little robots flying around anally punishing pedestrians who refuse to be conformist slowpokes.

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles