Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Say Goodbye to Audi’s MMI Rotary Dial

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 11:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Default Say Goodbye to Audi’s MMI Rotary Dial

I'm somewhat surprised to see this. I am not a fan of touchscreens and always thought Audi's MMI dial was one of the better solutions.

The Audi Q8 concept revealed Monday in Detroit previews a near future in which the brand’s Multi Media Interface (MMI) infotainment system—currently anchored by a rotary **** surrounded by shortcut buttons—will be reduced solely to touchscreen displays. Three dash-mounted buttons will remain for non-infotainment-related functions. The design of the interface may change somewhat from what is in the Q8 concept, but the touch-only MMI setup will launch later this year in a production vehicle, likely the new A8 flagship, Alexander Kendl, the Q8 concept’s project manger, confirmed.
Full article here.
Old 01-10-17, 11:27 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

You'd think that Audi and Porsche(the new Panamera uses a similar setup) would've learned that this is garbage tech and had stuck with real buttons. Lincoln figured it out and went back to real buttons and a rotary **** for volume, Cadillac is still lost in the woods with their hard to use CUE system. The thing with real buttons is you can feel with your finger tips and muscle memory where the button is without taking your eyes off the road. With touch screens, there is no tacticle feel, they FORCE you to look down at the screen to do something as simple as turn on the seat heater or adjust the blower fan.
Old 01-10-17, 11:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm with Aron on this one. Newer (and more complex) does not always mean better. And he's correct....Lincoln did absolutely the right thing.
Old 01-10-17, 11:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
You'd think that Audi and Porsche(the new Panamera uses a similar setup) would've learned that this is garbage tech and had stuck with real buttons. Lincoln figured it out and went back to real buttons and a rotary **** for volume, Cadillac is still lost in the woods with their hard to use CUE system. The thing with real buttons is you can feel with your finger tips and muscle memory where the button is without taking your eyes off the road. With touch screens, there is no tacticle feel, they FORCE you to look down at the screen to do something as simple as turn on the seat heater or adjust the blower fan.
but i don't think it matters much, because almost everything is also controllable by BUTTONS on the steering wheel, or by voice (or even hand gestures on a 7 series, lol). there's more options than just center console and other location buttons. i will agree with you that touch screen isn't always convenient. on my jeep the only way to turn on the heated/cooled seats is through the touch screen.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-10-17 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 11:51 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I mentioned this in the Lexus LS thread and somewhere else on this forum months ago. The new Audi A8 will be completely touch screen, even the headlight switch.
Old 01-10-17, 11:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I mentioned this in the Lexus LS thread and somewhere else on this forum months ago. The new Audi A8 will be completely touch screen, even the headlight switch.
Sorry I missed that.
Old 01-10-17, 12:06 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Sorry I missed that.
Oh I wasn't criticizing your post, just bolstering the point of the article and noting that Audi's been planning this move for some time.
Old 01-10-17, 12:58 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
on my jeep the only way to turn on the heated/cooled seats is through the touch screen.
Which is just absolute stupidity.

I'm all for cleaning up clutter of too many buttons. But cutting down to only 3, plus steering wheel controls, just doens't make sense either. My iPhone has more hard buttons than this Audi .
Old 01-10-17, 01:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

No surprise here that Audi is going this route. Porsche is also on a mission to remove buttons.
Old 01-10-17, 01:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Huge step backwards.
Old 01-10-17, 01:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
but looks to me like there's still tons of buttons on the steering wheel.
Old 01-10-17, 01:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

To be honest, I was not overly impressed with the MMI on my A4. Still lots of rotating of the dial to highlight the menu item you want and the "click-click-click..." sound while rotating the dial was irritating. Your eyes were still focused on the screen and not on the road. The Lexus RTI/screen combo is not stellar either but I am more used to it in terms of where things are and how to get to them. If the touchscreen on the new Audi interface allows for fewer navigation/easier access to items you need to select, then I'm for it but control via winter gloves may be a challenge.
Old 01-10-17, 01:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
To be honest, I was not overly impressed with the MMI on my A4. Still lots of rotating of the dial to highlight the menu item you want and the "click-click-click..." sound while rotating the dial was irritating. Your eyes were still focused on the screen and not on the road. The Lexus RTI/screen combo is not stellar either but I am more used to it in terms of where things are and how to get to them. If the touchscreen on the new Audi interface allows for fewer navigation/easier access to items you need to select, then I'm for it but control via winter gloves may be a challenge.
**** on BMW idrive which shows selection on the HUD in the newest 7 series is the best.
Old 01-10-17, 04:26 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

So Audi removed the high-mounted propped-up tablet and moved it down lower than the main instrument pod? You go from head-up to head-down. How is that progress in human factors? Unless that central screen is meant solely for control purposes and not for display purposes.
Old 01-10-17, 06:29 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sorry to see Audi go this route, since I think the MMI button is fairly easy and I hate touchscreens. Yes, the button is sometimes cumbersome (like for Nav), but scrolling through music tracks is a breeze.

I guess the main thing is that Audi now has the Virtual Cockpit and that is all controlled by buttons on the steering wheel. I've seen comments from many owners saying that is what they primarily use and the MMI screen has become secondary. There is also voice command for Nav and, at least for me, it works pretty well.

I still think it is a step backwards. I had touchscreens in my '01 and '03 GS and almost everything was controlled there. Hated it.

Quick Reply: Say Goodbye to Audi’s MMI Rotary Dial