Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Camry revealed

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-17, 01:13 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
All kidding aside, this Camry is the first "Toyota" I've seen coming up in a long time thats appealing in any way. I look forward to seeing one and driving one in person.

I hope they've made big improvements inside, the Camry's had a really terrible quality interior for the last 15 years or so IMHO...
dang.. i m pretty excited too.. might buy a SE 4-cyl as my permanent "drive to the ground" car.
Old 06-22-17, 03:49 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

As an owner of a car with apple car play and android auto, I can't really see the big deal here. I personally dont use it, and to be honest, is cumbersome if you still have to plug it in. I believe BMW is the only carmaker with cordless connection. Until that is more mainstream, forget about it.
Old 06-22-17, 06:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
As an owner of a car with apple car play and android auto, I can't really see the big deal here. I personally dont use it, and to be honest, is cumbersome if you still have to plug it in. I believe BMW is the only carmaker with cordless connection. Until that is more mainstream, forget about it.
The issue that I have read, and it's from a 2018 Camry article is that there are two issues, the first is that Apple and Google will not disclose the complete parameters of how each system works to Toyota. The second is that of security.
Old 06-22-17, 06:42 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The issue that I have read, and it's from a 2018 Camry article is that there are two issues, the first is that Apple and Google will not disclose the complete parameters of how each system works to Toyota. The second is that of security.
I have read that Toyota may eventually use Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto but are negotiating how much user data is collected (and retained) by these apps. I have also read that Porsche chose CarPlay over Auto because Google demanded too much more data than Porsche, on behalf of its users, was willing to give access to.
Old 06-22-17, 06:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I have read that Toyota may eventually use Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto but are negotiating how much user data is collected (and retained) by these apps. I have also read that Porsche chose CarPlay over Auto because Google demanded too much more data than Porsche, on behalf of its users, was willing to give access to.
This is also the story I've heard about automakers reluctant to adapt the technology.
Old 06-23-17, 06:48 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Good. I rather have autonomous cars be delayed as much as possible.
Old 06-28-17, 12:56 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default PMinCars Review - 2018 Camry

Summary:
If you've lived in America over the past 20 years, chances are you know what a Toyota Camry is, in fact, odds are that you yourself may have owned one. They're everywhere! The Camry has been the top-selling passenger car in America for the past 15 years; in 2016 they sold nearly 400,000 Camry's, that more than many BRANDS sell, let alone a single model line. While sedan sales are slowing down, that's not stopping Toyota from launching the biggest redesign for the all-new 8th generation Camry.

Design:
Toyota, and the Camry have often been described as vanilla, boring, and nondescript. The 2018 Camry shakes all of that off and comes to market with 2 distinct flavors for the Sporty side (through the SE and XSE trims) and the Elegant side (featured on the L, LE and XLE trims). The differences are immediately noticeable, with the sporty side of the house presenting unique bumpers, spoilers, lower side panels and the mesh grille up front that might hit a bit too close to home for the Lexus F-Sport models.

Regardless of flavor, all of the various trims are longer, lower, and wider, to achieve a sleeker design and presence on the road. More deeply sculpted character lines are evident around the entire car, A new set of wheels, specific to each trim, are also on offer including a Camry-first 19” wheel on the XSE. There are a lot of other design “firsts” for the Camry including an available two-tone contrasting black roof color, panoramic moonroof, narrow LED headlights, and a “Cockpit Red” leather available on the XSE. The XSE also has a dual exhaust system with quad tips to cap the sporting presence of the Camry. The extra sporty lines of the consumer driven Camry are closely mimicked and sculpted on the NASCAR vehicle as well, as the Toyota Design and Racing teams worked hand in hand to optimize aerodynamics for both.

Engineering:
The 2018 Camry is the first full implementation of Toyota’s New Global Architecture (TNGA), from the 3 new powertrains and the transmissions to the platform. As with other new vehicles that have been sprinkled with various TNGA components, this has allowed Toyota to achieve a lower center of gravity, increased visibility with thin pillars, improved structure and a noticeable reduction in any noise/vibration/harshness, or NVH in car-speak. The lower and wider stance that benefits design is made possible by all this engineering work.

As far as engines, most Camry’s will see a new 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine. High compression and Toyota’s dual D-4S fuel injection system. This works to boost horsepower from 178 to 203, with torque rising from 170 lb-ft to 184. XSE trims boast 206 horsepower and 186 torques. A new four-point engine mount system keeps things calm, even at full boil. Speaking of boost and boil, the Camry bucks the turbo, downsized cylinder count trend sweeping the industry and brings back a fully revised 3.5-liter V6 engine for the top end XSE V6 and XLE V6 models. This smooth and creamy engine churns out a whopping 301 horsepower, up from 268. How about that for vanilla? Even with the substantial increases in power, there’s a significant lift in fuel economy ratings as well, aided with the new 8-speed automatic transmission for both gasoline engines. 4-cylinder combined MPG ratings jump from 27 to 32 for most trims, the base L trim hits 34, while the V6 goes from 24 to 26 MPG combined. As before, regular old 87 octane gas is all that this Camry needs, impressive given all of the various combustion technologies being applied.

If fuel economy is to your liking, then you’ll be excited for the new Camry Hybrid, where fuel economy leaps to 52 combined on the Hybrid LE (that’s nearly Prius level!) and 46 MPG for the SE and XLE hybrids. The Camry Hybrid also relocates its battery stack from the trunk to under the rear seat, allowing for split folding seat capabilities, now you can have your hybrid and still buy that flat screen tv!

Content:
Aside from sexy styling and sporty dynamics, Toyota also upped the premium content throughout the Camry lineup. First and foremost is the standardization of the Toyota Safety Sense suite of technologies, this includes their pre-collision system with pedestrian detection, dynamic radar cruise control, lane departure alert with steering assist, and automatic high beams. Not all vehicles have the same radar cruise control systems though, some can bring you do a complete stop and provide low-speed following capabilities, but others will require driver intervention below a certain speed.

A 7-inch touch screen radio interface is standard, with an upgraded 8-inch available. Entune 3.0 is enhanced with additional connectivity that will allow for available Remote Connect, in which you can remotely start and lock/unlock doors through an app on your phone. You’ll also need a smartphone to utilize the Connected Navigation Scout GPS Link on all 4-cylinder models. An embedded navigation system is available on the V6 Camry models. Toyota does not yet offer any sort of Android Auto/Apple CarPlay compatibility.

A 10-inch color head-up display, once only for fighter pilots and luxury cars, is also newly available on the 2018 Camry (standard on V6 models and the Hybrid XLE). There are also more USB charging ports, but unfortunately none for the back seat area. Front and Rear parking sensors are standard on the XLE and XSE, as well as the V6 models and Hybrid XLE. This can work in conjuction with the Blind Spot Monitor with rear cross traffic alert, and rear cross traffic braking.

Driving Impressions:
When it comes to driving, Camry’s have long been written off as simply numb appliances, the 2018 is in fact a very very good appliance, maybe now it’s one of those nice stainless steel refrigerators or front loading washers that are now mainstream. The driving experience is smooth, but not floaty. Toyota does a superb job of calibrating the engine and transmission to work in harmony, across all engine variants. The 4-cylinder has enough punch to get around town and onto the highway with relative ease, whereas the 6-cylinder is velvety smooth and effortless in all situations. Sweetspot of the lineup may be the hybrid, which provides more punch than the base 4-cylinder, but with a healthy boost in fuel economy as well.

Steering response and braking are greatly improved over the outgoing Camry, benefitting from the stiffer structure and optimized suspension geometries. No, it’s not going to out-slalom a BMW M3, but the Camry imparts a heightened sense of confidence to its driver, even in spirited maneuvers. The SE and XSE sharpen the focus a bit more with a sport suspension that firms things up a bit more, but is never harsh, even with the 19-inch alloy wheels and shorter sidewall tires.

Whether you’re looking for a reliable appliance, a fuel sipping hybrid, a 301-horsepower rocket, or a stylish sedan, Toyota has a flavor of vanilla that’s right for you, maybe with some sprinkles on top.
Old 06-28-17, 01:07 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Why no Apple Play/Android Auto?

No V6 in the Accord will add to Camry sales.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-28-17 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-28-17, 01:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I continue to be very impressed with these cars, and am actually finding myself excited about a Camry.
Old 06-28-17, 01:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That red on the XSE is wild!
Old 06-29-17, 09:34 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I continue to be very impressed with these cars, and am actually finding myself excited about a Camry.
Same here! I'm definitely going to check it out
Old 06-29-17, 12:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

car is impressive overall, but something about that center stack design i really don't like...

reminds me of this.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-29-17 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-29-17, 01:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^^ Gonna be ticked at you if I see whitey tighties every time I see that dash...
Old 06-29-17, 01:23 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The one think I don't like with a lot of the new design wheels on some auto manufacturers is the black trim.Looks cheap to me.
Old 06-30-17, 07:29 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Camry Hybrid to match Prius MPG!!!????

VERY smart move by Toyota IMO!

When Toyota releases its next-generation 2018 Camry Hybrid this summer, eyes will be on how it does in taking back sales in the competitive midsized hybrid sedan segment.

To come in three trim levels, the most-efficient and base-level 52-mpg LE will match the fuel economy of the 52-mpg Prius – a remarkable 30-percent better than the outgoing Camry Hybrid which relied on a powertrain dating back to 2012.

Toyota’s introduction of the 46-52 mpg sedan lineup is expected to help project its nameplate and hybrid expertise in global markets, says Michigan-based analyst Alan Baum, and this of course includes the all-important U.S.
http://www.hybridcars.com/will-toyotas-2018-camry-hybrid-rise-back-to-the-head-of-its-class/?utm_source=hyc06282017&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_newsletter

Last edited by bagwell; 06-30-17 at 07:33 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 Camry revealed