Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Camry revealed

Old 10-15-17, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have always liked a brand new car. I like the idea that I am the first owner, I know everything about it. I like the idea that the tech or safety is all new and up to date. I have never bought a used car from a dealer, only time was from my parents

CPO's, today, generally lessen the risk...but I agree that there still is nothing like something brand-new. And, for various reasons, even CPO's don't always fit the hoopla they are given.
Old 10-15-17, 04:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
CPO's, today, generally lessen the risk...but I agree that there still is nothing like something brand-new. And, for various reasons, even CPO's don't always fit the hoopla they are given.
My sister had a CPO Lexus. It left her stranded half way to Montreal. She needed to be towed back all under warranty. It was a disaster after that as she had another $2000 repair. We later found out it was the dealer demo. She was royally pissed. Now she has a 3 series, she lives in Savannah Georgia. She is so happy with BMW.
Old 10-15-17, 07:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have always liked a brand new car. I like the idea that I am the first owner, I know everything about it. I like the idea that the tech or safety is all new and up to date.
Agree with you but recognize it's not everyone's pov.

Originally Posted by Sulu
If you wait for a year or 2 before buying a 2018 Camry, there will be more advanced cars available by that time.
That's a fact.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes cpo means checked over by the dealer, not more than 3 years old perhaps and an extended warranty, but apart from that it's just another used car that may or may not have been treated horribly in its short existence. How lucky do you feel?
Old 10-16-17, 12:00 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I think you get what you pay for, and a brand new car is better than a cheaper 2 year old used car.
After 2 years, the price has fallen, but there is also progress in technology, plus: progressive deterioration of the paintwork, "fatigue" fractures, and progressive loosening of screws and body parts - developing in an used car.

I've found Toyota products hold up really well to the miles/age. Currently rocking a 2004 Tacoma with 184,000 on it, interior doesn't have a single squeak/rattle, nothing inside has broke, everything works, the seats, carpet, dash, etc still looks mint. Feels tight as a drum.
Old 10-16-17, 12:50 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I've found Toyota products hold up really well to the miles/age. Currently rocking a 2004 Tacoma with 184,000 on it, interior doesn't have a single squeak/rattle, nothing inside has broke, everything works, the seats, carpet, dash, etc still looks mint. Feels tight as a drum.
The problem is that everyone has a different level of pickiness.
I'm super picky, supersensitive to engine idle and revving NVH, cruising noise and creaks and rattles.
That's why I'm a heavy critic of my own 4GS and new TMC President Akio who changed many core philosophies around, like making TMC products have more style and dynamics.
Problem is, if I didn't buy the 4GS, what else could I have bought.
A Genesis G80 has its own set of pros and cons.
So for me, I have little else to choose from.

I'd have to drive with you in your car to really find out.

Generally speaking, just as a house deteriorates with age, a car will only do moreso.
Old 10-16-17, 01:21 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The problem is that everyone has a different level of pickiness.
I'm super picky, supersensitive to engine idle and revving NVH, cruising noise and creaks and rattles.
That's why I'm a heavy critic of my own 4GS and new TMC President Akio who changed many core philosophies around, like making TMC products have more style and dynamics.
Problem is, if I didn't buy the 4GS, what else could I have bought.
A Genesis G80 has its own set of pros and cons.
So for me, I have little else to choose from.

I'd have to drive with you in your car to really find out.

Generally speaking, just as a house deteriorates with age, a car will only do moreso.
A house, like a car, you have to sink money into after a while. A well built and well designed house, if maintained, tends to be timeless and appreciates. Hell just about any sort of house, even a cheap ***, shoddily built 1500sq ft tract house with a tiny lot appreciates over time. I think your comparison between a house and a car is wack.

BTW those miles on the truck were pretty easy ones, just back and forth to work on the interstate, 50 mile round trip commute, smooth roads, it doesn't snow where I live, so zero rust on the truck.
Old 10-16-17, 02:32 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

A house, like a car, you have to sink money into after a while. A well built and well designed house, if maintained, tends to be timeless and appreciates. Hell just about any sort of house, even a cheap ***, shoddily built 1500sq ft tract house with a tiny lot appreciates over time. I think your comparison between a house and a car is wack.

BTW those miles on the truck were pretty easy ones, just back and forth to work on the interstate, 50 mile round trip commute, smooth roads, it doesn't snow where I live, so zero rust on the truck.
Many people confuse houses for property.

Land + Building/House = Property

It is the land & overall property that appreciates.
It is land & overall property when you pay capital gains tax on the sale.

The house depreciates just like a car & electronic goods.
Though the house deteriorates more slowly & therefore depreciates more slowly than the car.
Electronic goods depreciate very rapidly and even faster than a car, because unlike home & car, the value of electronics isn't in the sheer size, but in high tech involved that is replaced very rapidly.

It is house, car & electronics depreciation that is claimed annually as expenses on your tax returns.
If houses appreciated as you say they do, then we wouldn't be able to write-off home expenses annually on our tax returns.

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-16-17 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-16-17, 05:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

A I think your comparison between a house and a car is wack.
Agreed. The house comparison with cars make no sense.
Old 10-16-17, 06:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

I agree, houses and cars are very different. For one, a house can be easily upgraded to be more modern and have all the latest amenities, it can be rebuilt, restyled, expanded, etc. cars really can’t be.

And by the way the value of the structure itself does not depreciate. You can depreciate a house on your taxes as a tax strategy, but look at the improvement value on your property tax bill. It doesn’t go down, it goes up.
Old 10-16-17, 06:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Agree with you but recognize it's not everyone's pov.

That's a fact.

Yes cpo means checked over by the dealer, not more than 3 years old perhaps and an extended warranty, but apart from that it's just another used car that may or may not have been treated horribly in its short existence. How lucky do you feel?
There's definitely a misconception that helps push CPOs....some out there think it's an extension of the B2B warranty, when in fact it excludes a ton. A general example, if a radiator hose bursts, and the motor overheats, not covered. The root cause of the overheating was the hose, a component that is not covered, therefore the entire subsequent damage is not covered. The argument that people will make, kind of reminds me of when I was on my first job and issued a corporate AMEX. I was totally responsible for the charges, end of story. I would hear my coworkers say since the co. is slow to reimburse, I'm not paying one cent. Then they would be arguing with AMEX and getting nowhere.

Again look at my buddy's wife's Q5....stalled for no apparent reason, CPO, and $360 charge because the dealer could find nothing wrong....
Old 10-16-17, 07:58 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Probably drowned out by all the other noises
Old 10-16-17, 08:11 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1998 GS400 with 140K miles and also tight except for some common repairs. Hard for me to think about giving it up but it may have an end of life in the next few, or rather would like newer safety technology
Old 10-16-17, 09:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Currently rocking a 2004 Tacoma with 184,000 on it, interior doesn't have a single squeak/rattle, nothing inside has broke, everything works, the seats, carpet, dash, etc still looks mint. Feels tight as a drum.
of course on an '04 tacoma there are few features to go wrong.
Old 10-16-17, 02:06 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Had to take my LS in for Paintless Dent Repair and was given a 2018 Camry SE as a rental for the day. After about 50 miles behind the wheel I feel it is an okay car.

The SE looks sharp and is roomy inside. The 18-inch tires and new TNGA platform combine to produce the best handling Camry I've ever driven. Taking sweeping turns and clover onramps put a smile on my face. However, to maintain the flat cornering the suspension can be jarring at times. The example I drove has the 4-cyclinder and is quite buzzy, but power is adequate. The car is a little noisy from what I would expect for a Camry. Moderate wind noise and significant tire noise intrudes into the cabin. The lower parts of the dash also utilize then plastics and you feel significant flex when pulling on covers over the USB and power ports. The window switches are feel cheap and stiff. Surprisingly, with only 1350 miles on the car, there was a fluttering nous above my head that only stopped when I pushed up against the headliner.

Overall, the car drives smaller than it is but I expected the level of refinement to be higher in this competiive segment. It seems the quality was higher in past Camry models. A decent car but not really compelling. I haven't experienced the competition but just expected more from the once dominant Camry name.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 10-16-17 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-16-17, 02:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Was it a 2017 or a 2018 Camry? The 2017 is not the new version, 2018 is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Camry revealed