Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Camry revealed

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-17, 04:46 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
In a half year, no Camry will sell for $40k or even $36k. Historically, the Camry-Accord-Altima rivalry is one of the hottest segments in the industry. Incentives and easy bargaining will drop the price once the initial hype is over. These manufacturers have stringent sales goals and numbers to meet, and that will move these cars out at the appropriate price slot- all likely between $20k to $30k.
is it really typical to see as much as $5K-$10K off msrp?
Old 10-10-17, 05:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by airahcaz
It's fascinating to see a Kia Forte commercial, and then see that the price as shown is almost $27k. I get the definite feeling people are willing to spend more of their income towards a vehicle today...
Old 10-10-17, 05:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
It's fascinating to see a Kia Forte commercial, and then see that the price as shown is almost $27k. I get the definite feeling people are willing to spend more of their income towards a vehicle today...
Yes this is the case I believe. The new generation allocates so much of their income to new vehicles IMO.
Old 10-10-17, 07:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
i hear that toyota is doing 0% for 60 months on the 2018 camry.

Now THAT's a bargain....if they will actually honor it (Toyota has 0.9% on their website, but they don't list all of the local specials). I can remember, though it was a fair number of years ago, when people were lined up outside the front door at Toyota shops to buy new Camrys. The salespeople and managers were in a position to pretty much dictate their own terms....and often did.
Old 10-10-17, 07:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can remember, though it was a fair number of years ago, when people were lined up outside the front door at Toyota shops to buy new Camrys. The salespeople and managers were in a position to pretty much dictate their own terms....and often did.
Funny, I don't remember that.
Old 10-10-17, 08:03 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Now THAT's a bargain....if they will actually honor it (Toyota has 0.9% on their website, but they don't list all of the local specials). I can remember, though it was a fair number of years ago, when people were lined up outside the front door at Toyota shops to buy new Camrys. The salespeople and managers were in a position to pretty much dictate their own terms....and often did.
They are running a boat load of commercials here in Georgia for the 0% for 60 months for the 2018 Camry.
Old 10-10-17, 10:14 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

That does not happen. They will tell you it's happening, but it does not. Every car company is in the business to make money, not lose it. Leaving it up to the wild west salesmen to make up pricing would never fly.
Old 10-10-17, 10:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Here in competitive CA, it's common to see the top models of these marked down at least $5k+. And going along with what a poster originally mentioned earlier about cutting into Lexus pricing, a dealer knows that as well. Doesn't want their cars seeping into that territory or the customer will start considering Lexus. So big discounts once the initial hype wears off. Also bare in mind, the white XSE V6 shown here had rip-off factory/dealer accessories that artificially inflate the sticker. Most dealers are wise enough not to do that, or at least won't bother with that once initial demand tapers off. So a $40k Camry will probably not be seen much longer, making all this a non-issue.
Old 10-10-17, 11:15 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Snow

Anyone have an idea of the Camry vs ES in snow?
(perhaps a bit difficult since no snow yet since 2018 Camry came out but maybe based on 2017 vs 2017...)
Old 10-10-17, 11:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That was me, trying to buy my first new car.....1997 Camry CE 5-spd. They were willing to give me $500 off but I had to give a CC deposit before I hung up the phone, or the deal is off hahahahahahahahahaahhaaha The salesman told me I am pretty confident you either won't find one discounted at all, or no better than $500, in the tri state area (NY/NJ/CT). I did the right thing and hung up without making the deal, but wondered if I lost my chance at a Toyota Camry....ooooohhhh, Camry!
Old 10-10-17, 12:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats just dealership BS. Had you called another dealer you'd have had a different experience.
Old 10-10-17, 12:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Were you living here in the 80s and 90s? Accords and Camrys were both VERY difficult to deal on. I was being somewhat facetious about a literal line out the front door, but, in fact (that's not an opinion, but a fact), if you were shopping for a Camry, Accord (or, in some cases, even a Taurus, which was also extremely popular at the time, though part of it was fleet-sales), you usually had to be prepared for a less-than-pleasant experience at the stealership. The stellar reputations of these vehicles, though, kept the customers coming despite indifferent treatment. The Reagan Administration also enacted tariffs and import-restrictions on Japanese-sourced vehicles, which made the situation even worse until the Honda and Toyota plants opened in the U.S.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-10-17 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-10-17, 12:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i think this new camry is a big step up overall, but i think it's nickname needs to be buttaface
Old 10-10-17, 12:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Were you living here in the 80s and 90s? Accords and Camrys were both VERY difficult to deal on. I was being somewhat facetious about a literal line out the front door, but, in fact (that's not an opinion, but a fact), if you were shopping for a Camry, Accord (or, in some cases, even a Taurus, which was also extremely popular at the time, though part of it was fleet-sales), you usually had to be prepared for a less-than-pleasant experience at the stealership. The stellar reputations of these vehicles, though, kept the customers coming despite indifferent treatment. The Reagan Administration also enacted tariffs and import-restrictions on Japanese-sourced vehicles, which made the situation even worse until the Honda and Toyota plants opened in the U.S.
Yes... I've lived here my whole life.

Theres a difference between "being hard to deal on" and having lines around the block and dealerships dictating terms. We bought two Explorers in the 90s, talk about a popular vehicle, no lines around the block. Sure, you didn't get $10k off like you do today but you overstate it.
Old 10-10-17, 01:15 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think this new camry is a big step up overall, but i think it's nickname needs to be buttaface
I'm okay with it, just not that thrilled with white. Car and Driver ruined it for me when they commented that the front looks like an athletic supporter hanging on a chain link fence...

Quick Reply: 2018 Camry revealed