Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Chevrolet Traverse: She's a Big 'Un

Old 01-08-17, 10:07 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 2018 Chevrolet Traverse: She's a Big 'Un

They nailed the styling on this one. I think this is going to fly off the lots. It's huge and looks much more tough than the outgoing Traverse. Well done.

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Press Release
Chevrolet Introduces the 2018 Traverse

Bold, refined new look with expected segment-best cargo space, third-row legroom

DETROIT — Chevrolet today introduced the all-new 2018 Traverse. Wrapped in bold and refined styling, the completely redesigned Traverse offers technologies to help keep passengers of all ages and lifestyles comfortable and connected.

Traverse will deliver what is expected to be best-in-class third-row legroom, maximum cargo room and passenger volume with an enhanced roster of available active safety features.

“The all-new Traverse offers the ultimate in style and convenience for the segment, with the versatility customers need and a thoughtful, spacious design they’ll love,” said Alan Batey, president of GM North America and brand chief, Global Chevrolet. “It’s the midsize SUV designed to help keep you safe, comfortable and connected.”

When it goes on sale this fall, the 2018 Traverse will be the fourth updated crossover or SUV from Chevrolet within a year, joining the Trax, Bolt EV and 2018 Equinox, further strengthening the brand’s crossover and SUV lineup.

“Nobody in the industry offers a broader, fresher lineup of SUVs and crossovers than Chevrolet,” said Batey. “From the all-electric Bolt EV to America’s longest-running nameplate, Suburban, we’ve got something for every customer and lifestyle.”

Bold and refined

The 2018 Traverse has a new look inspired by Chevrolet’s full-size SUVs, with purposeful proportions complemented by premium cues such as chrome accents, LED signature lighting and available D-Optic LED headlamps.

Chevrolet is adding two new trim levels for the 2018 Traverse — the sporty RS and luxurious High Country — to offer customers more choices for a personalized appearance.

The new RS package includes unique, blacked-out exterior cues with a black chrome grille, black bowtie, 20-inch wheels and more.

The High Country trim features premium content and technology, including a unique interior trim featuring Loft Brown leather appointments with suede accents, 20-inch polished wheels, High Country badging, D-Optic headlamps, standard twin-clutch AWD and power-fold third row seats.

“The all-new Traverse blends Chevrolet’s characteristic SUV cues with capability and refinement,” said John Cafaro, executive director, Global Chevrolet Design. “Inside and out, it offers style with a purpose.”

With available seating for up to eight and a longer wheelbase than the current model, the Traverse has few peers when it comes to capacity and roominess. In fact, the new Traverse is expected to offer best-in-class passenger volume as well as max cargo room at 98.5 cubic feet (2,789 liters), while greater storage options and larger bins throughout the ergonomically optimized cabin are designed to enhance convenience and versatility.

Loading the Traverse is a breeze with a new Chevrolet bowtie logo lamp feature illuminating the ground to show where drivers need to place a foot to activate the available hands-free power liftgate.

A new split-folding second-row seat improves on the Traverse’s original Smart Slide® feature. The curbside seat is capable of tipping up and sliding forward, even with a forward-facing child seat in place, to provide open and easy access to the third row. Third-row legroom is expected to be the most spacious in the segment at 33.7 inches (856 mm).

Connected and protected

The 2018 Traverse offers purposeful technology designed to help keep passengers safe, comfortable and connected.

Chevrolet’s latest connectivity technologies include available 7- and 8-inch-diagonal MyLink infotainment systems designed to support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as an available OnStar 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot. (Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are products of Apple and Google and their terms and privacy statements apply. Requires compatible smartphone and data plan rates apply.)

Passengers will have access to USB charging ports in all three seating rows, available wireless charging and steering wheel-mounted phone and audio controls. Chevrolet’s Rear Seat Reminder feature is standard on all trim levels.

When it comes to helping to protect passengers, a comprehensive suite of available safety technologies and adaptive crash-avoidance features offers ease of use and added peace of mind, with new available features including:

Surround Vision
D-Optic LED headlamps (standard on High Country and Premier)
Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
Front Pedestrian Braking
Forward Collision Alert
Low and High-Speed Forward Automatic Braking.
Teen Driver is standard, allowing parents to set certain controls and review performance in order to help encourage better driving habits, even when parents are not in the vehicle.

Performance and efficiency

A new 3.6L V-6 and nine-speed automatic transmission form the standard propulsion system, expected to offer nearly 10 percent more horsepower than the current model and a GM-estimated 25 mpg highway (FWD). The combination also supports an estimated 5,000-pound (2,268 kg) trailering capacity when properly equipped.

Sporting the new RS trim, the Traverse will exclusively feature a 2.0L turbocharged engine that provides a unique driving experience, with more maximum torque than the V-6. It is also paired with the nine-speed automatic transmission.

Both engines feature new intelligent stop/start technology that determines the best times for fuel-saving engine-stop events, based on a variety of driving factors.

New Traction Mode Select is standard on all models and allows the driver to make real-time adjustments to the vehicle’s driving mode to account for varying road conditions. On available AWD models, it also allows the system to be completely disconnected from the rear axle, which helps save fuel and enhances refinement.

High Country’s exclusive Advanced AWD system employs twin-clutch technology that optimizes traction for every condition it encounters. It is engineered for optimal performance in wet, snowy and icy conditions, while also providing enhanced stability in dry conditions.

Old 01-08-17, 10:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Interesting, I like it...
Old 01-08-17, 10:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

WOW, looks 100x better than the frumpy model on sale now. Love those fender flares. Also note how thick those C and D pillars are, I know roll-over standards now days are pretty crazy, will be interesting to see how much this effects visibility(I'm betting A LOT)
Old 01-08-17, 10:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks dated to me. The GMC version is much more interesting. Gear shifter looks old compared to the GMC buttons. GM has made two distinct exterior designs, good for them.
Old 01-08-17, 10:37 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
GM has made two distinct exterior designs, good for them.
They're also 2 different sizes.
Old 01-08-17, 10:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
. Also note how thick those C and D pillars are, I know roll-over standards now days are pretty crazy, will be interesting to see how much this effects visibility(I'm betting A LOT)
I remember someone claiming that GM has thicker A pillars on some of their vehicles because the strength of the metal GM uses is not as strong or modern as other competitors. Not sure if it was a member on her or a professional publication.
Old 01-08-17, 10:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Correct, the Terrain is not the GMC version of the Traverse, it's of the Equinox.
Old 01-08-17, 10:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
They're also 2 different sizes.
Thanks. I didn't quite catch that.
Old 01-08-17, 10:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Overall, a grand improvement. It does appear likable and should sell well. Rear taillights and hatch are especially well executed. And thank goodness for a normal gear shift lever. What I'm seeing elsewhere is a huge turnoff.
Areas I feel it could have been better: Front styling is too close to the Impala. A big, boxy SUV of this scale should have a more masculine front clip. Spelling out "Traverse" in chrome letters along the flanks is dated, tacky, and a bare to keep clean. Interior dash console is old-fashioned with the GM vertical air vents. And still too much cheap-looking chrome trim inside.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 01-08-17 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-08-17, 10:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Looks like a sleek Tahoe in crossover form
Old 01-08-17, 11:10 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

So now we have 2/3 of the large GM crossover trio. Acadia (smaller than before), Traverse (even bigger than before), and we'll have the Enclave which will be the same size as this Traverse. I wonder how slick the styling of the Enclave will be.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Looks like a sleek Tahoe in crossover form
Agreed. Smart move.
Old 01-09-17, 12:13 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks nice modern compared to the current one, I actually find the current one to be pretty roomy, this one should be even better!
Old 01-09-17, 06:18 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

I had the current one as a rental for a week and I liked it. This one looks much better all around though
Old 01-09-17, 12:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
WOW, looks 100x better than the frumpy model on sale now. Love those fender flares. Also note how thick those C and D pillars are, I know roll-over standards now days are pretty crazy, will be interesting to see how much this effects visibility(I'm betting A LOT)
True, large rear-pillars don't help visibility. But, as of this year, back-up cameras are standard in all new American-spec vehicles...and a number of them have the Rear Cross-Traffic Alert as well.
Old 01-09-17, 12:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
And thank goodness for a normal gear shift lever.
+1

And still too much cheap-looking chrome trim inside.
Chrome is one of the things that helps sell GM products. Many typical GM buyers like it. And if you want to see some REAL bling inside (arguably even more so than the Escalade) go look at the new Continental.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Chevrolet Traverse: She's a Big 'Un