Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger GT Unveiled: Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17, 04:44 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I had always thought that 4 exhaust tips meant there was something going on with the power train. Yesterday, I was behind a Range Rover, and it had 4 exhaust tips. This told me it wasn't the regular Range Rover.

Again, nobody has really ever answered and I don't remember, but I've always been curious who created the fake dual exhaust phenom. Honda and Toyota certainly had them dating back to the 90's, but I don't know if they started the trend. It's curious that many cos., say Subaru, followed the trend, and then backed off. I once saw an newer Outback wagon, where one of the two mufflers was totally rusted. My hunch was the rusted side sustained an accident and a cheap replacement part was used by a body shop....unless there is something under the hood to back up those tips, I would say remove them...
I am not certain when the fake or dual exhaust look started, but I do know that domestic manufacturers went to single muffler dual outlet exhaust on cars like the Camaro or Trans Am a long time ago back in the day. But that was an era of emissions too, and carburated cars. As technology has gotten better, you almost don't need dual exhaust as the deciding factor unless it's a very high end performance car or muscle car.

With the Stinger's uncluttered back end, I find the four tip exhaust a little too busy. They should have gone the BMW 750 route with a clean rectangular single tip on each side.
Old 08-02-17, 07:26 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
I am not certain when the fake or dual exhaust look started, but I do know that domestic manufacturers went to single muffler dual outlet exhaust on cars like the Camaro or Trans Am a long time ago back in the day. But that was an era of emissions too, and carburated cars. As technology has gotten better, you almost don't need dual exhaust as the deciding factor unless it's a very high end performance car or muscle car.

With the Stinger's uncluttered back end, I find the four tip exhaust a little too busy. They should have gone the BMW 750 route with a clean rectangular single tip on each side.
If I remember correctly, the 3rd-generation (1992 to 1996 model year) Camry V6 had a single-muffler, dual-tip exhaust. That was how you could tell that it was a Camry with the V6 and not the I4.
Old 08-03-17, 06:58 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Are you breaking embargo by admitting this?
No, I would not do that.
Old 08-03-17, 08:09 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
No, I would not do that.
Good to hear!
Old 08-04-17, 02:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

real dual exhausts have some value on a v6/v8 by allowing freer breathing for each bank of cylinders, but a quad exhaust is pointless (except for posing ) unless the engine is fire breathing monster.
Old 09-21-17, 11:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

coulple of MT reviews...

first drive
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/s...t-test-review/

track drive
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/s...-drive-review/
Old 09-21-17, 12:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
coulple of MT reviews...
Thanks. I'm also waiting to see what Alex Dykes (Alex on Autos) thinks of it when he gets a chance to drive one. The dash, BTW, IMO, looks almost eeringly like that of the last Audi A3 I sampled. I understand that at least some of the current Kia stylists, in fact, came over from Audi.
Old 09-23-17, 04:06 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Compared To The Competition ...

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Why would anyone buy this over say ... Infiniti's Q50 Red Sport 400?

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/infin...-drive-review/
Old 09-24-17, 06:07 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver

I feel like the Stinger is the sleeper of the hour atm. There's definitely an underdog appeal to it. If reliability is up to par, it will be hard to beat in its segmet bang for buck wise.
Old 09-24-17, 07:09 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i totally understand this sentiment, as i thought the same thing myself. then i watched a YouTube video of the kia being driven on a track, and noticed it had a heads up display (which the q50 lacks), as well as the ability to display digital speedometer in the information panel, which got me thinking what other features it may have that you cannot get on the q50. cooled seats? folding mirrors? window sunshades? LSD? you also have to think about features it may come with at a price either the same or less than a base (no options) RS400. blind spot monitoring? fwd collision? rear parking sensors? etc.?

right now pricing, mpg, and instrumented testing/dynamics of the kia are speculation and remain to be seen. but the kia could have the potential to present a value proposition to vehicles such as the RS400. we will have to wait (and wait and wait) & see.
Old 09-24-17, 09:55 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by BoDarville
i totally understand this sentiment, as i thought the same thing myself. then i watched a YouTube video of the kia being driven on a track, and noticed it had a heads up display (which the q50 lacks), as well as the ability to display digital speedometer in the information panel, which got me thinking what other features it may have that you cannot get on the q50. cooled seats? folding mirrors? window sunshades? LSD? you also have to think about features it may come with at a price either the same or less than a base (no options) RS400. blind spot monitoring? fwd collision? rear parking sensors? etc.?

right now pricing, mpg, and instrumented testing/dynamics of the kia are speculation and remain to be seen. but the kia could have the potential to present a value proposition to vehicles such as the RS400. we will have to wait (and wait and wait) & see.
Those features you mentioned are nice to have but these are compact sport sedans and I'm judging them on performance and handling. In terms of performance and handling the Stinger comes up short compared to the Q50 Red Sport 400. Q50 Red Sport 400 is faster to 60 mph, pulls higher G's, quicker through the slalom and stops shorter:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/s...t-test-review/

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/infin...t-test-review/

It's like the Genesis coupe vs. Infiniti G37 all over again. The original Genesis coupe was meant to compete with the Infiniti G37 but it came up short against the G37. By the way, the Q50 does have blind spot monitoring, fwd collision and rear parking sensors. Does the Stinger have: Backup Collision Intervention, Lane Departure Prevention, Blind Spot Intervention, Moving Object Detection, Auto leveling Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) or Around View Monitor? You get what you paid for.
Old 09-25-17, 06:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree. I would add in the Mercedes Benz C-class and 3 series. Why would anyone want a KIA over a MB for the price they want. This new KIA is going to be as successful as the Chevrolet SS a few years ago. Not even sure if the SS is still sold.
Old 09-25-17, 10:44 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree. I would add in the Mercedes Benz C-class and 3 series. Why would anyone want a KIA over a MB for the price they want. This new KIA is going to be as successful as the Chevrolet SS a few years ago. Not even sure if the SS is still sold.
SS is discontinued, mostly due to the shuttering of facilities in Australia. The SS was only available in basically one configuration, the V8 RWD. With a price that was in the mid to upper $40Ks.

The Stinger will be more successful (assuming you're measuring success solely by sales numbers) because it'll be available at a much lower price point, with the 2.0T, RWD and AWD configurations, as well as the 3.3 GT model, again with both RWD and AWD configurations.
Old 09-25-17, 10:46 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Motor Trend's latest video. Stinger GT, it's not meant to be an all-out track monster, but it is composed, capable and confident, while still being comfortable and luxurious.

Old 09-25-17, 12:06 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by pbm317
Motor Trend's latest video. Stinger GT, it's not meant to be an all-out track monster, but it is composed, capable and confident, while still being comfortable and luxurious.

https://youtu.be/tSWQTkbTYIQ
Sure, the Stinger's interior looks better than the average KIA but I would not call it luxurious. You want a luxurious interior, look at a C class or an A4.

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger GT Unveiled: Wow!