Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Book by Cadillac offers unlimited vehicle access for $1,500 per month

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 07:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Book by Cadillac offers unlimited vehicle access for $1,500 per month

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/b...500-per-month/

Would you like to (technically) command a whole fleet of cars, with paid insurance, for a flat monthly fee? If so, Book by Cadillac might be right up your alley.

Book by Cadillac is a new subscription vehicle service. For $1,500 per month, users get access to an entire fleet of Platinum-trim Cadillac vehicles, including Escalade, XT5 and CT6. The fleet also includes Cadillac's super-fun V Series, likely including the 640-horsepower CTS-V. Aww yeah.

You don't have to go anywhere to pick the cars up, either. They will be delivered and retrieved by "white-glove concierge," and I will be supremely let down if they don't actually wear white gloves. The concierge service is included in the cost, as is maintenance, insurance and cleaning.

There's no set time limit for the cars, either. Cadillac's release discusses how users might want to take out an Escalade for the whole freaking winter, only to swap it for a V Series car once the weather is better for driving.

A subscription vehicle service isn't necessarily new. The idea has been around for years. Back in 2005, Sun Microsystem's CEO tossed around the idea of a service where car ownership shifts to a subscription-type model without the large upfront cost typical with car ownership.

It's quite the sweet deal, but $1,500 a month is a tough pill to swallow, especially when gas and parking are not covered in that price. That's probably why Book by Cadillac's pilot is in the metro New York area. When $1,500 gets you a studio the size of a broom closet, sleeping in an Escalade sounds appealing.

_______________________--

Gotta give Cadillac some credit, they are trying to new things.
Old 01-07-17, 08:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

This sounds like it may (?) one of Cadillac's answers to Lincoln's Black Label program, though, of course, Black Label cars are purchased or leased, not simply rented by the day or month. Also, of course, Black Label vehicles are available everywhere in the U.S., not just in NYC. But I understand the reasons for Cadillac offering it there.....NYC and D.C. are arguably the country's two capitals of the limo/executive-car business.
Old 01-07-17, 08:44 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

This would not be a new service. It is just a shared-ownership or time-share service, or, more specifically, a car sharing service, like zipcar or the car2go service by Daimler (parent of Mercedes-Benz), except that it is offering a premium line of cars rather than the typical Toyota RAV4s (zipcar) or smart fortwo (car2go).

Time sharing is popular for vacation rentals and it is also used in the business jet business. Car sharing may be very convenient for people who need a car on a regular basis (weekends, for example) but do not need a car every day or want a car sitting in the driveway every day.
Old 01-07-17, 08:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Has nothing to do with black label vehicles, and nothing to do with limousine companies.

This is a really interesting idea...they've done this sort of thing in the boating world forever.

$1,500 sounds like a lot to people who aren't accustomed to driving cars at these price points. For instance, my LS is almost $1,000 a month, then I'm paying $120 a month to insure it, so I'm paying $1,100 a month, and thats a lease. Plus I have to maintain it. Plus I can't call up and get an LX570 to take on my ski weekend...or call up and get an RCF for my trip out to the mountains. That flexibility is worth a lot. The lease payments on a loaded Escalade are going to be $1200-1300 or so.
Old 01-07-17, 09:12 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Has nothing to do with black label vehicles, and nothing to do with limousine companies.

This is a really interesting idea...they've done this sort of thing in the boating world forever.

$1,500 sounds like a lot to people who aren't accustomed to driving cars at these price points. For instance, my LS is almost $1,000 a month, then I'm paying $120 a month to insure it, so I'm paying $1,100 a month, and thats a lease. Plus I have to maintain it. Plus I can't call up and get an LX570 to take on my ski weekend...or call up and get an RCF for my trip out to the mountains. That flexibility is worth a lot. The lease payments on a loaded Escalade are going to be $1200-1300 or so.
The flexibility and the immediate availability of these time-share services is what sells them. In the business jet time-share world, you "buy" a portion of a plane (half, quarter, etc.) based upon how much you will need it. The jets are maintained, repaired and cleaned, and ready to go at short notice. You may also be able to reserve a larger or smaller plane, depending upon your needs at the moment.

It would be nice to have that flexibility with Lexus. Instead of picking up an abused minivan or Chevy Malibu at the airport on a family vacation, it would be nice to pick up a clean, well-maintained RX or ES or GS.
Old 01-07-17, 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
The flexibility and the immediate availability of these time-share services is what sells them. In the business jet time-share world, you "buy" a portion of a plane (half, quarter, etc.) based upon how much you will need it. The jets are maintained, repaired and cleaned, and ready to go at short notice. You may also be able to reserve a larger or smaller plane, depending upon your needs at the moment.

It would be nice to have that flexibility with Lexus. Instead of picking up an abused minivan or Chevy Malibu at the airport on a family vacation, it would be nice to pick up a clean, well-maintained RX or ES or GS.
Its the same way with boats, its called "fractional ownership", or with sailboats "fractional sailing". There are also memberships in yacht clubs where you have access to a wide variety of different types of boats for a set monthly fee.
Old 01-07-17, 09:17 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Its the same way with boats, its called "fractional ownership", or with sailboats "fractional sailing". There are also memberships in yacht clubs where you have access to a wide variety of different types of boats for a set monthly fee.
Yes -- "fractional ownership". I had forgotten that term.
Old 01-07-17, 09:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Way better than owning a boat, trust me!
Old 01-07-17, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I agree it is not a direct comparison, but it looks like some competition in a small-scale (NYC area)

On the comparison to your LS at over $1000 a month, plus operating costs, that was one of my first thoughts, too....people are paying almost that much ($1500 a month) to lease or purchase some high-level vehicles as it is.
Old 01-07-17, 09:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't see anything similar between this and black label trim Lincolns.

What similarities do you see?
Old 01-07-17, 09:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd be all over something like that if it was BMW, but not so much with Cadillac.
Old 01-07-17, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't see anything similar between this and black label trim Lincolns.

What similarities do you see?
The main one is that it involves Cadillac's Platinum-level trim, which is (roughly) comparable....though Black Labels do come in unique trim-colors and patterns that aren't necessarily available with the Platinums. Also, as I understand it, Black Label Lincolns, like with this program, are initially delivered as new cars, and picked up/returned for service or repairs to your driveway.
Old 01-07-17, 10:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The main one is that it involves Cadillac's Platinum-level trim, which is (roughly) comparable....though Black Labels do come in unique trim-colors and patterns that aren't necessarily available with the Platinums. Also, as I understand it, Black Label Lincolns, like with this program, are initially delivered as new cars, and picked up/returned for service or repairs to your driveway.
That's just it, this has nothing to do with trim levels or how a new car is delivered. This is a way to pay to use vehicles. It has nothing to do with the physical characteristics of the vehicles
Old 01-07-17, 12:52 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree it is not a direct comparison, but it looks like some competition in a small-scale (NYC area)

On the comparison to your LS at over $1000 a month, plus operating costs, that was one of my first thoughts, too....people are paying almost that much ($1500 a month) to lease or purchase some high-level vehicles as it is.

You both are absolutely right. My initial reaction was that $1500 is way too expensive until I realized I'm paying over that for my wife's NX and my IS leases with insurance and maintenance costs (though leases in Canada are significantly higher than in the US). Now, what's unclear is if it's 1.5K per person for one vehicle in possession, at any one time? Would be nice if it were for two vehicles per household at the same time with say the choice of one as an entry-level and one as a premium model.
Old 01-07-17, 01:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would say it's one vehicle at a time.

Remember you can drive $90k loaded platinum Ct6s and Escalades. Lease payments on which are going to be not far from there.

Quick Reply: Book by Cadillac offers unlimited vehicle access for $1,500 per month