Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

As quickly as she came, she went - 2017 A4

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-17, 08:13 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I find it funny how, in 10 years, Audis went from ugly to boring. And how, in 5 years, Lexus has gone from boring to aggressive.

I remember 10+ years ago, when that large Audi Singleframe (trademarked) grille first came out, there was much the same reaction to it as there is now to the Lexus spindle grille. Now it is accepted and hardly ever described as ugly; Audis now are described as "elegant" or even "boring" (hints of Toyota Camry come in here).

And 5+ years ago, Lexus was described as "derivative" of other (read German) designs, or even "boring". Now Lexus is described as aggressive.
Do you consider the S5 and A7 "ugly" or "boring"? Please let me know. Can't wait to hear your answer.
Old 01-08-17, 08:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I didn't ignore the thread. I was actually out of the country on business when this twist of fate took place. I am very happy for Corrado because if there was one car that ticked all the boxes we would all be driving it. It is great that we have so many options these days. I wish Corrado all the best with his new IS. I am a multi-Lexus owner myself.
Never thought you did, and never assumed you'd be anything but happy for him. I was responding to people who were trying to imply you had I fired it.
Old 01-08-17, 08:20 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Never thought you did, and never assumed you'd be anything but happy for him. I was responding to people who were trying to imply you had I fired it.
Totally understand, my fellow car fanatic!
Old 01-09-17, 06:13 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

CorradoMR2, I agree Audi A4 is well rounded but lacking some excitement judging from the exterior. Originally I thought the driving dynamics is fun but your ownership says otherwise.

Congrats to your new IS! Hope your salesman has handled well about depreciation cost as you are one of his most important Lexus customers.
Old 01-09-17, 11:34 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
IS (almost 3 years) to HS (6 months) to A4 (6 weeks) to IS.
Interesting that you still found the A4 boring after 6 months of the HS! Not knocking the HS, but I've read that it was not exciting at all.
Old 01-09-17, 12:39 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

To Corrado, congrats on the return to Lexus and on the IS purchase. I am one of members who know exactly where you are coming from. I too traded an Audi for my RC-F for exactly the same reasons as you. I too got bored with the styling ( though still a pretty design in the eyes of many)
Taking an 18K bath out of the trade was hard to swallow but I knew where my heart was. It was an emotional and irrational decision for me. I am very happy with the RC-F.

Though, I made the mistake of test driving an M3 at the CES 2017 where BMW had a tent for it technologies. But that is another story....
Old 01-09-17, 04:02 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Totally understand, my fellow car fanatic!
Old 01-09-17, 04:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
CorradoMR2, I agree Audi A4 is well rounded but lacking some excitement judging from the exterior. Originally I thought the driving dynamics is fun but your ownership says otherwise.

Congrats to your new IS! Hope your salesman has handled well about depreciation cost as you are one of his most important Lexus customers.
Thanks AndyL. Yes, having bought several Lexus vehicles from him including the new RX too, I got two fantastic deals.

Originally Posted by grayson73
Interesting that you still found the A4 boring after 6 months of the HS! Not knocking the HS, but I've read that it was not exciting at all.
Good point. I had different expectations with the HS which I bought used at a third the cost of the A4. Fuel economy was number 1 in priority plus as much as the HS was criticized for its stodgy Corolla-like shape, it was unique and I truly liked the styling arguably more than the more common A4.

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
To Corrado, congrats on the return to Lexus and on the IS purchase. I am one of members who know exactly where you are coming from. I too traded an Audi for my RC-F for exactly the same reasons as you. I too got bored with the styling ( though still a pretty design in the eyes of many)
Taking an 18K bath out of the trade was hard to swallow but I knew where my heart was. It was an emotional and irrational decision for me. I am very happy with the RC-F.

Though, I made the mistake of test driving an M3 at the CES 2017 where BMW had a tent for it technologies. But that is another story....

Totally agree and same for me, this was an irrational and emotional decision. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-09-17, 04:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
Aren't we cute? Lol
Old 01-09-17, 07:31 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Aren't we cute? Lol
Yes we are, aren't we???
Old 09-29-17, 11:11 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
You can actually keep the Lexus more than 3 years without worrying that everything's gonna take a big dump on you. Good call on the switch.
lol so true!!

Congrats on the IS!
Old 09-30-17, 07:34 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
yeah - that's a no-go for me - I think the A4 looks excellent, not crazy and weird like the IS

Old 10-03-17, 02:15 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

But when you know what you like, you know what you like! Life's too short to drive something you don't like.
This.

Congrats on moving onto something that excites you. I made a similar move from a 430 to a 460. I have not driven an A4 but am sure it does everything well enough. Models below the A5 and A6 just don't look right to me when I see them on the road -- the proportions are stubby and inelegant. Still better than previous A4s but not as attractive as the older siblings.

I am conflicted on the IS styling. It definitely gets my attention when I see them on the road and they look faster than they're actually traveling. The IS would be a great car if I was in my 20s. It just lacks that grown-up look. I agree that the styling is "trying too hard". I still think the 2nd-gen IS looks great on the road, especially the old 250 C. I prefer the earlier 3rd-gen IS to the current one too, but will say white looks great on your new IS. Have fun with your mods and happy motoring.
Old 10-03-17, 07:54 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

When I learned the Audi S5 Sportback was coming to American shores I’ve been salivating for months. I’m currently considering one of these as my next car. I want to stay in the Lexus family but the interiors from the newer models are just too polarizing for my tastes. This sportback is just so darn sexy.

S5 Sportback
Old 10-03-17, 08:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Thought I'd give an update. 10 months into ownership and love my IS, from the steering/handling feel, V6 exhaust note, engine response, aggressive stance and styling. Dare I say I "enjoy" the IS more than the RCF??? Fuel economy of course is terrible but forgiven as everything else makes up for it!

Quick Reply: As quickly as she came, she went - 2017 A4