Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports names '17 A4 #1 in the luxury compact class

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-16, 02:20 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wonder where would the Jaguar XE and Alfa Romeo Giulia would fall on this list?
Different source, but C&D ranks the segment: A4, C Class, Giulia, 3 Series, 4 Series and XE.
Old 12-30-16, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The 3 and 5 series have gone more mainstream and thus softer and more isolated to appeal to wider range of consumers.
But that's just it, Och. Except for the M3, the former 3 and 5-series weren't overly-stiff or uncomfortable. In fact, I thought the 335i, in particular, was one of the best combinations of ride and handling I had ever sampled. And the steering wasn't stiff per se....it simply had a excellent tactile feel that was virtually unique. One of the reasons (among several) why I like Buick's Verano is that it offers some (not all) of the older 3-series' road-manners, with German Opel engineering, in a package costing barely half as much.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-30-16 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-30-16, 04:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But that's just it, Och. Except for the M3, the former 3 and 5-series weren't overly-stiff or uncomfortable. In fact, I thought the 335, in particular, was one of the best combinations of ride and handling I had ever sampled. And the steering wasn't stiff per se....it simply had a excellent tactile feel that was virtually unique. One of the reasons (among several) why I like Buick's Verano is that it offers some (not all) of the older 3-series' road-manners, with German Opel engineering, in a package costing barely half as much.

But it seems that most consumers are looking for a numb, Camry like driving experience - and the new 3 series provides just that.
Old 12-31-16, 12:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I would have to agree with CR's rating of the A4 at the top and IS in 8th place based on its objective rating methods. Compared to the IS, the A4 is quieter, rides smoother, has better all around visibility, has more tech, is far better in fuel economy, has more interior room, and has more premium interior trim bits.
Old 01-05-17, 08:31 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I would have to agree with CR's rating of the A4 at the top and IS in 8th place based on its objective rating methods. Compared to the IS, the A4 is quieter, rides smoother, has better all around visibility, has more tech, is far better in fuel economy, has more interior room, and has more premium interior trim bits.
So predicted reliability and maintenance costs are not part of the calculation.
Old 01-05-17, 10:59 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by grayson73
So predicted reliability and maintenance costs are not part of the calculation.
Audi's have actually been doing very well in the reliability department lately.
Old 01-05-17, 11:32 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus has stopped trying, wants to cheap out, or plainly sucks in engineering. They're the only car maker that can't seem to figure out how to fit an AWD system without downgrading the transmission or protruding into the driver's legroom. The IS300 AWD's poor rating in this CR ranking is justified IMHO and should be a serious wake-up call to Lexus.
Old 01-05-17, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
and yet you still sold your new '17 a4 for an is300!
Old 01-05-17, 08:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and yet you still sold your new '17 a4 for an is300!

Yep, because the one thing that is most important to me which the A4 lacked is excitement. No objective test such as CR's can evaluate that.
Old 01-05-17, 11:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Lexus has stopped trying, wants to cheap out, or plainly sucks in engineering. They're the only car maker that can't seem to figure out how to fit an AWD system without downgrading the transmission or protruding into the driver's legroom. The IS300 AWD's poor rating in this CR ranking is justified IMHO and should be a serious wake-up call to Lexus.
Lexus offers a Torsen differential on their AWD cars and the full time 4WD SUVs. I don't think Lexus cheaped out at all.
Old 01-06-17, 12:40 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
The current Lexus AWD was developed in Japan where the car is right hand drive and does not protrude into the drivers foot. Unfortunately when converted to left hand drive, well, you know the issue. When the time comes to develop an updated AWD, they'll likely consider a more international approach to the infamous 'hump'. We should also see an application for RWD 2.0T models eventually, hence the IS300 AWD is a place holder till then so to speak.
Old 01-06-17, 03:49 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The current Lexus AWD was developed in Japan where the car is right hand drive and does not protrude into the drivers foot. Unfortunately when converted to left hand drive, well, you know the issue. When the time comes to develop an updated AWD, they'll likely consider a more international approach to the infamous 'hump'. We should also see an application for RWD 2.0T models eventually, hence the IS300 AWD is a place holder till then so to speak.
Besides the questionable visual aspect, to be honest, the hump never bugged me. In fact it's perfectly shaped to as a lower leg rest.