Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

in a world of distracted drivers, I cannot believe this is a thing:

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 09:34 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts
Default in a world of distracted drivers, I cannot believe this is a thing:

dashboard desk:
http://www.dashboardstodesktops.com/...CIAL-ORDER.htm

Old 12-28-16, 09:46 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

He's going to need to sell a lot of those to upgrade that beater.
Old 12-28-16, 12:05 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The cops integrate computer terminals/laptops into their pursuit cars but then, that is done at the factory, not a geek special.
Old 12-28-16, 12:11 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
The cops integrate computer terminals/laptops into their pursuit cars but then, that is done at the factory, not a geek special.
and cops are usually exempt from distracted driving laws
Old 12-28-16, 12:13 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Not even close to being distracted

Originally Posted by tex2670
He's going to need to sell a lot of those to upgrade that beater.
that's his daughter's car, unless he likes Hello Kitty steering wheel cover
Old 12-28-16, 12:14 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

dont forget the VIP champagne tables!
Old 12-28-16, 12:45 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

that's his daughter's car, unless he likes Hello Kitty steering wheel cover
that makes it better how? just what the world needs a dumbass teenager with a laptop in their face posting on social media while putting on makeup and eating a burger all while attempting to weave in and out of traffic
Old 12-28-16, 12:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, Officer, you see.......I was just trying to make a left turn while logging onto my E-Mail, and........
Old 12-28-16, 12:55 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mjeds
that makes it better how? just what the world needs a dumbass teenager with a laptop in their face posting on social media while putting on makeup and eating a burger all while attempting to weave in and out of traffic
Hint: This symbol after a statement usually indicates sarcasm or some type of joke.
Old 12-28-16, 03:17 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
Oh, I definitely agree with you.
I even get scared when I see these petite women driving excursions while putting on their make up.

I was joking in response to tex2670 response about recouping his cost since the beater is not worth that much
And what grown man would want that steering wheel cover
Old 12-28-16, 03:49 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
And what grown man would want that steering wheel cover
Don't ask a question that you don't want the answer to....
Old 12-28-16, 05:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

so now its just like a cop car then
Old 12-28-16, 06:28 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

In all seriousness, I feel like I'm in "defensive mode" all the time now while driving. I stopped commuting 10 years ago and work from home, but 10 years ago commuting wasn't as bad because everyone wasn't trying to send that damn last text. I love driving, but it is just becoming a pain these days because I'm constantly dodging distracted drivers cutting into my lane, poking along while reading texts, cutting over 3 lanes because they missed their turnoff, and... not that rare anymore... cutting across an oncoming lane and almost hitting me head on.

The big phone companies and the automakers know how to disable features based on car speed, but they won't do it because it is a cash cow for them. But then, it makes my insurance premiums go up because I have to cover those other drivers' distracted asses. The companies offering these car desk tops should be shut down.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Old 12-29-16, 06:17 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's no worse than the "Jotto Desk" I installed in my '00 RX300. It would carry a laptop that ran my Delorme Street Atlas navigation software, piloting me over 6,500 miles from Texas through the Rockies, Pacific Northwest, Great Basin, and back over the Rockies before returning home. This was long before Garmin and Tom-Tom offered palm-size GPS devices - and certainly before such capabilities existed for a smartphone.

The advantage to using the laptop (and serial port-connected antenna I tucked into the moonroof shade) was that it offered not only outstanding driving directions, but did so on the 14" screen of my laptop that gave me wide coverage of the territory I was passing through. One mouse (touchpad) click would turn on the "radar" function that would show me what POI's were available within a one, five, or ten miles of my position. Another advantage was that I could quickly shift my route between shortest, quickest, or most scenic, on the fly. Being able to unstrap the laptop from the desk and take it into my hotel room at night let me use a whole suite of trip-planning functions to set my route for the following day.

Like today's compact GPS systems it would allow me to explore the backroads of America without concern for finding my way to my intended destination - even if it would require a few extra hours. During my exploring I always had the option to go back to "fastest route" if I was running late. If weather blocked my path, or forest fires were burning ahead of my route (they were), I could link to the internet and get timely traffic information too. Of course that's all available in your smartphone today, but nearly 17 years ago it was a revelation for long-distance touring. I still miss that big screen, though.
Old 12-29-16, 06:32 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

You know I would like to blame technology for the distracted drivers. The reality is I saw plenty of it before cell phones tablets and so on. People with novels in the center of the steering wheel. Maps unfolded blocking most of their view, then trying to fold it back up. People put on makeup, shaving , brushing teeth. The same people will find something else to distract them from what should be there full focus driving.

Quick Reply: in a world of distracted drivers, I cannot believe this is a thing: