Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Discussion: Chevy Trucks vs. GMC...is there a real need for it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 03:19 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
They're getting additional sales from each GMC model that generates profit above what the platform engineering costs. The best part is their transaction prices are higher than the Chevy equivalent. Here's an srticle
on the subject: http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...mc-flying-high

Yeah, its all about the $$$$ that GMC makes GM, I'm sure its their most profitable division if you look at the % of profit per unit sold. That was long true before GM went bankrupt, they aren't going to cancel their golden goose that prints them $$$$. Even having a seperate dealer network that seems redundant, GM is still making a ton of $$$ with GMC.

Also just to get into some marketing psychology with GMC, lets look at the Yukon Denali buyer vs the Escalade buyer. At least where I live, in the very conservative south, the Escalade is too shouty, too bling, too much excess. The Denali is a bit more stealth, less flash, but just as nice as the Escalade, and its cheaper to boot. With the current generation of GM SUV's, I'd argue the Denali is superior to the Escalade in outright terms anyways, the infotainment system is way easier to use than that CUE mess Cadillac has on the Escalade.
Old 12-28-16, 03:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Also just to get into some marketing psychology with GMC, lets look at the Yukon Denali buyer vs the Escalade buyer. At least where I live, in the very conservative south, the Escalade is too shouty, too bling, too much excess. The Denali is a bit more stealth, less flash, but just as nice as the Escalade, and its cheaper to boot. With the current generation of GM SUV's, I'd argue the Denali is superior to the Escalade in outright terms anyways, the infotainment system is way easier to use than that CUE mess Cadillac has on the Escalade.
Really, really great comments. The buyers are likely different. Similar to Land Cruiser vs LX570 buyers.
Old 12-28-16, 04:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Even having a seperate dealer network that seems redundant, GM is still making a ton of $$$ with GMC.
They aren't always sold through separate dealerships, though. In my area (D.C. suburbs), there are several combined Chevy/Buick/GMC dealerships...I suspect that's also the case in some other areas too. GMC used to be sold out of Pontiac shops (Pontiac/GMC) in many places, but, of course, that stopped when Pontiac folded.

Depends on where you are in the South. Escalade bling would probably be right at home in some of the larger Southern cities......especially New Orleans and Atlanta. All of that chrome and plushness would fit in perfectly with the Jazz/music, restaurant, and entertainment atmosphere in New Orleans. It would probably also go over well in and around Miami and Miami beach.
Old 12-28-16, 05:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,565 Likes on 1,849 Posts

I understand why GMC exists, it's a more upscale feel than Chevy, which is a little blue collar. For instance, I wouldn't buy a Tahoe LTZ (or Premier) for myself because it feels too mainstream, an Escalade is too flashy and showy for me, but I would buy a GMC Yukon Denali.

Ford had the same idea for Mercury, but the product was weak and Lincoln was weaker at the top than Cadillac is for GM. (Ie nobody thinks a Lincoln is too flashy)
Old 12-28-16, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I understand why GMC exists, it's a more upscale feel than Chevy, which is a little blue collar.
Sometimes, though, both GMC and Buick are providing (or trying to provide) the same upscale feel from Chevy...perhaps the best example is with the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave. Both the Acadia and Enclave seemed to be more or less splitting the same market....though the Enclave definitely had more bling inside and outside.

nobody thinks a Lincoln is too flashy
I think we'd both agree, though, that the new Continental might just put a stop to that kind of thinking LOL.
Old 12-28-16, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

BTW.....a number of good comments here on both sides. That's why I opened this thread......because I knew I could get a round of good credible opinions and views, on both sides, from everyone. As usual, I'm not disappointed.
Old 12-28-16, 06:16 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I understand why GMC exists, it's a more upscale feel than Chevy, which is a little blue collar. For instance, I wouldn't buy a Tahoe LTZ (or Premier) for myself because it feels too mainstream, an Escalade is too flashy and showy for me, but I would buy a GMC Yukon Denali.

Ford had the same idea for Mercury, but the product was weak and Lincoln was weaker at the top than Cadillac is for GM. (Ie nobody thinks a Lincoln is too flashy)
Understanding why there's a separate GMC, and making the financial case to support both Chevy and GMC trucks are two different things. And that's what none of us knows. To the layman, it would seem to be a waste. But, especially after the GM bankruptcy, and shedding of brands, it must make financial sense to keep both lines--as counterintuitive as it seems.
Old 12-28-16, 06:30 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 227 Likes on 173 Posts

This is where I'm at exactly. The Denali gets most of the substantive luxury features (and the bigger engine) of the Escalade that I would want, but I wouldn't feel like a douchebag driving one.

The only Trucks/SUVs in the entire GM stable I'd consider buying are under the GMC marque. To the degree that my opinion is common (and I'm not saying that it is), eliminating the GMC brand would be a mistake.
Old 12-28-16, 07:44 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Also, this is just personal taste, but I like the front end styling better on the GMC Sierra trucks than the Chevy trucks. Just for that reason alone I'd buy a new GMC over a new Chevy. Previous two generations of trucks I've preferred the GMC over the Chevy Silverado, but anything pre 1999ish, I'd go Chevy all the way.
Old 12-28-16, 08:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sometimes, though, both GMC and Buick are providing (or trying to provide) the same upscale feel from Chevy...perhaps the best example is with the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave. Both the Acadia and Enclave seemed to be more or less splitting the same market....though the Enclave definitely had more bling inside and outside.
i think Buick and GMC have similar missions for GM just in different market segments.

I think we'd both agree, though, that the new Continental might just put a stop to that kind of thinking LOL.
I actually wouldn't agree. The Lincoln is not showy or ostentatious, it will go unnoticed by almost everybody. An Escalade is very in your face and gaudy. It's like wearing a giant diamond ring.

Like geko said perfectly, I feel like a Douchebag in an Escalade.
Old 12-28-16, 09:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Lincoln is not showy or ostentatious, it will go unnoticed by almost everybody.
This is not showy? Well, I'll respect your opinion...each to his own.

Like geko said perfectly, I feel like a Douchebag in an Escalade.
It's hard for me to feel like a douchebag behind the wheel of almost anything. As a car enthusiast, I feel at home driving almost anything with four wheels. The only modern vehicles I've sampled that really tested my patience behind the wheel were the diminutive Smart-for-Two (it was a joke.....more of a toy than a true automobile) and the gigantic Ford Excursion, which, at over 7000 lbs. empty, simply weighed too much for its underpinnings, and had, IMO, borderline-dangerous road manners if you were not extremely careful.
Old 12-28-16, 09:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Continental is just not the same as the Escalade. Rap stars dont roll around in Continentals. The Kardashians don't drive Continentals. The Escalade has become a symbol of conspicuous wealth...
Old 12-28-16, 09:55 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 191 Likes on 170 Posts

Lol, where in TN are you? Yes, it's like that here also. Yukon Denalis are all over the place and Escalades are much rarer. Also, there are lots of Infiniti QX80s here too, another cheaper but worthy competitor. I always wonder to myself, "QX or Denali if I were buying?" and I'd have to say Denali for looks and 6.2L alone, although the QX has a light years better interior.
Old 12-28-16, 10:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts

Much prefer the modern and edgy styling of GMC over Chevy. If they dump anyone, I rather see them dump Chevy. Their unevenly divided triple front grilles look terrible.
Old 12-28-16, 10:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 191 Likes on 170 Posts

I also wouldn't buy Chevy when there's GMC. I've always thought the GMC treatment looked better. So, it would be a mistake to axe the brand.

Quick Reply: Discussion: Chevy Trucks vs. GMC...is there a real need for it?