Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drove a Chevy Suburban Premier (LTZ) Today...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-16, 09:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Default Drove a Chevy Suburban Premier (LTZ) Today...

So I'm approaching a year left on our Kia Sedona lease and in my normal fashion...I'm getting ready to start considering whats next. Sedona has been a great van, but I don't see us keeping it after the lease (considering its been on fire and in a flash flood lol).

We will probably wind up in another minivan. We'll have the new Odyssey and Sienna to look at before we have to decide also. The van is great for getting around with two young kids. Very adaptable seating, space isn't an issue. Traveling with us and them is very easy, back swallows everything. Sliding doors make loading and unloading a breeze.

My one criticism (aside from, its a minivan) about the van is when it comes to traveling on long trips and taking my Mom with us. We go to the beach once a year and she comes along, and as they get older we'll want her along for even more trips. The issue is when you put up one of the third row seats you dramatically reduce the available cargo space to where putting three adults, two kids and all our stuff for a week in there isn't possible without a roof rack, hence why the past two years since they were born I've also driven the Lexus to the beach.

So...hence why I decided to check out a Suburban. I've driven Tahoes, but not a Suburban in several generations.

The model I drove was a very loaded Premier model (no more top LTZ trim for Chevy in 2017, all LTZ vehicles are now "Premier"), an attractive metallic shale color outside and black leather interior inside. Overall I liked it, but I was disappointed in a few areas and ultimately those areas will eliminate it most likely from earning a spot in our garage. Or driveway...because it won't fit in the garage. Seriously its friggin gigantic.

Moving on:

Exterior:

Its big. I mean, really big. Comically big. For some reason the new ones look a lot bigger than the old ones. Maybe its the boxier shape? Who knows. But its imposing. I like the styling of this new generation of GM SUVs, good paint quality, nice trim. They have a lot of very attractive wheels, my tester had polished 5 spoke 20s. Running boards...a must have.

Interior:

This is where I was a little let down. Quality is quite good, hard plastic here and there which one can excuse in a big SUV, albeit one with a $74,000 price tag. Seat comfort was quite good in all 3 rows actually. I like the dash layout, although I find the column shifter a rather comical blast from the past. Controls and switchgear all good quality, gauge displays are a mixture of traditional gauges and a big TFT center screen. All quite good. Infotainment system is fine. HUGE wide center console with tons of storage.

I was surprised by the lack of legroom in the second row. Second row seats flip forward and recline, but there is no sliding base like you see in minivans or crossovers, and the second row is close enough to the front row that with my seat adjusted for me my knees touch the seat back when I'm sitting in the second row. Third row space is quite good, and access is easier than in the van.

Rear cargo space is obviously very good, even with the third row seat up. The load floor is obviously much higher than the van, so my guess is cubic space its actually no bigger, but its an easier setup to pack. Dual entertainment screens, one for each row. Slick.

On the road:

Did I mention its big? Real big. When I first got in it to pull out of the parking space its size was immediately apparent. Once I was out on the road however you do quickly become accustomed to the overall size. I was able to drive it in a mixture of suburban roads and on the highway. Ride is okay, not great...jouncier than I remember from other big GM SUVs I've driven from other generations...doesn't ride as well as my Jeep Grand Cherokee did for instance, or as well as a Lexus LX570. Remember too, this unit had the 20" wheels...with the 21s or 22s those road irregularities would punch through the cabin for sure. Road noise very well controlled, wind noise also well controlled.

On an open highway with the cruise set at 75 is where this shines. Very solid on the road, very comfortable. Great for hauling the whole family on a long trip, I'm sure it tows great.

Powertrain was quite smooth, but it definitely felt burduned by the Suburbans weight. Passing requites forethought. Its not a vehicle you want to do anything abruptly in.

By the time I got back to the dealer I piloted it in through the crowded lot and backed it into a parking space like a pro.

Conclusion:

Isn't going to be for us. Way too big for my wife to pilot around every day around town, mall parking lots, grocery store, etc. In a perfect world with limitless funds I'd keep the van and get one just to drive on trips. I know a few people that have them and just use them for that, and I totally get that. On top of the size is the expense, even more modestly optioned models are mid $60s...honestly at that sort of price point something like a Q7 or a QX60 for less even would just make more sense for us, and when you can get a totally loaded minivan for high 40s, to spend $25,000 more for a loaded Suburban doesn't equate for me in my situation.

Overall though, if you're going to buy a big huge SUV like that, the Suburban is most likely the one to buy.
Old 12-23-16, 12:38 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Still don't trust FCA with their Pacifica? Obviously there's the lingering question of reliability and truthfully I haven't heard how they're doing yet. Also don't forget the Odyssey will be using the same transmission as the Pacifica.

In any event, your review meshes well with my own personal assessment. I frequently get these GMT K2XX platform vehicles and used to get the GMT900 SUV's for rentals all the time. The lack of 2nd row space was always comical in my mind. I'm personally not a big fan unless they're in Yukon Denali/Denali XL or Escalade/Escalade ESV form. The suspension tuning and magnetorheological shocks make a world of difference imo. I really only think the interior is acceptable in Escalade form, and then there's still some blatant cheap plastic lurking about.
Old 12-23-16, 05:33 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I drove a 2015 with this trailer for a week in DC area last year, and it was BIIIG. I had to plan where I was going ahead of time. It did a great job towing it. Never had an issue. Seemed like it had plenty of power for it. Was a nice enough ride, but I could never own one. Just too big an animal for me. I have zero need for that.

Old 12-23-16, 05:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

check out the pacifica... seriously nice.
Old 12-23-16, 06:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If I were to buy a new van today it would be the Pacifica. I've driven it and it's very nice. We'll see what the new Odyssey and Sienna are like when they come out.
Old 12-23-16, 07:16 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

While looking at a 2013 LX570, the salesperson persuaded my wife and I to look at a CPO 16 Tahoe LTZ. I had higher expectations of the highly-touted magna-ride suspension. But while it was comfortable, it was a harsher-than-expected ride, less than expected room on the inside, and my wife could not stand the numb acceleration. Granted, the Tahoe/Suburban gets superior gas mileage compared to the LX570, but that initial hesitation when you press on the gas pedal did it no favors. The build quality wasn't there, and Consumer Reports just came out with the 2016 most unreliable vehicles....the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/YukonXL/Escalade all made the top 10. Hoorah.

I do like the looks, and the tech they have is superior than what the LX570 has. But no thanks.
Old 12-23-16, 07:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Just a few comments on the Suburban, though they may be redundant, since you seem to have ruled it out anyway. You don't necessarily have to pay 70-80K for one....they start around 50K with RWD and low-trim levels. The column shifter, yes, while dated, is not unusual on full-size pickups and SUVs...it saves space between the seats, though, in general, bench seats aren't available any more to carry three people up front. I know you aren't a particularly big fan of Consumer Reports, but CR does not give the line of full-sized, truck-based GM SUVs good marks for reliability. Also, did you find the brakes acceptable? That used to be a BIG sore spot on GM trucks and SUVs....poorly-engineered brakes. GM finally gave it some attention several years ago, and I understand the new ones are much better.

On the Pacifica I sampled, there were several things I disliked (mostly in the interior), but the rotary-**** shifter was the main complaint. If you can get by that (and any potential reliability issues, being a Chrysler product), it's a good and competitive minivan. But, of course, it doesn't really matter what I think.....it's your money and family.

If you decide on a Pacifica, and aren't satisfied with the salespeople in your area, the guy who sold me my Verano can (probably) sell you one......the huge Chevy/Buick/GMC franchise also includes a big Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler shop right next door under the same owner. But I know you like to stay in MD if possible.

We'll see what the new Odyssey and Sienna are like when they come out.
The Sienna, up to now, has been the only American-market minivan with an AWD option.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-23-16 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-23-16, 07:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In order to get the equipment we want it has to be a higher end model. Brakes seemed fine on my limited test drive.

I have no problem going to VA, I've bought many cars in VA. Which dealer is that?
Old 12-23-16, 11:37 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

We had the shorter Yukon as a rental for 2.5 weeks on our vacation last year, and liked it well enough that we just booked another for this year. Within a day or so, you get used to the bulk, and it's almost as easy to maneuver around as something much smaller like our RX. Space and comfort were quite good, and the A/C front seats were a godsend in the 116F Las Vegas heat (though a very poorly placed vent tends to burn the knees of the 2nd row passengers). There were only four of us, so we left the 3rd row down, and had plenty of cargo space for anything we needed to carry.

Brakes were fine, but the 5.3L V8 isn't adequate for the vehicle's 6,000 lb bulk. If I were to get one, it'd have to be the Denali, because that and the Escalade are the only models that offer the 6.2L. Cylinder deactivation operated smoothly, but didnt seem to improve mpg any.
Old 12-23-16, 12:21 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Way too big for my wife to pilot around every day around town, mall parking lots, grocery store, etc.
Agreed, way too big....I wouldn't want of these if something GAVE one to me. .....and I don't see how anyone would want to navigate one of these in grocery store parking lots.
Old 12-23-16, 01:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice review SW15LS.

Overall though, if you're going to buy a big huge SUV like that, the Suburban is most likely the one to buy.
The next Expedition will definitely be something to check out too. Historically the Expedition has been the champ of 3rd row seat room comfort. Alternatively rumormill has it the Aviator from Lincoln will return when the next Explorer comes out, and these also have third rows.
Old 12-23-16, 02:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah interested to see the new Expedition. The current one is ancient.
Old 12-23-16, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah interested to see the new Expedition. The current one is ancient.
Although we'll see it at the Detroit and (hopefully) the D.C. shows, it probably will not be released until next fall. The new one will (supposedly) keep the steel-box-ladder-frame, but, like the F-150, shift to an aluminum body. The long-wheelbase EL version, of course, competes with the Suburban you sampled.....as does the standard wheelbase version with the Tahoe. Since you are accustomed to the level of plushness inside, though, that an LS460 provides, you would probably be happier with the Lincoln Navigator version....even though a loaded Navigator would probably cost as much, if not more, than a new LS.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ng-for-feature

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-23-16 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-23-16, 05:37 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Just wanted to point out that the above pic is not an actual picture of the new Expedition, before anyone gets confused.
Old 12-23-16, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Just wanted to point out that the above pic is not an actual picture of the new Expedition, before anyone gets confused.
Car and Driver themselves used it on the article-cover as an artists rendering. But, your point is taken....if it will cause confusion, I'll delete it.

(inside the slide show in the article, BTW, are a number of other photos)

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-23-16 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Drove a Chevy Suburban Premier (LTZ) Today...