Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW expands 5 Series range with M550i xDrive and 530e iPerformance

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-16, 05:40 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm sure it's going to be an amazing car, but the first thing that crossed my mind after reading the engine/hp numbers was Lexus' 5.0 naturally-aspirated V8 @ 467 or now 471 HP.

For a normal-breathing engine to push out that many HP is pretty amazing all things considered. That's why I covet that engine and can't wait to drive one provided the new LS has it, which I'm sure it will.

In any case, BMW has always been able to keep their cars light and why even a 330 HP engine can push their cars to fast numbers, so it isn't surprising how fast this thing is.

I always enjoy fast, comfortable cars.
Old 12-18-16, 06:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I'm sure it's going to be an amazing car, but the first thing that crossed my mind after reading the engine/hp numbers was Lexus' 5.0 naturally-aspirated V8 @ 467 or now 471 HP.

For a normal-breathing engine to push out that many HP is pretty amazing all things considered.
Mercedes has been doing it for years with their normally-aspirated AMG powerplants. Admittedly, though, AMG engines aren't really mass-produced as such, are hand-built, and each one is personally signed off by a Factory Technician.
Old 12-18-16, 09:15 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

For a normal-breathing engine to push out that many HP is pretty amazing all things considered. That's why I covet that engine and can't wait to drive one provided the new LS has it, which I'm sure it will.
GM came out with the 505hp Z06 Corvette back in 2006. 7.0 liter naturally aspirated V8. Same thing with the Viper, its had 500hp since 2003, heck it had 450hp since 1996. I have no problem with Lexus staying N/A for their performance V8, it just needs a big jump in displacement from the current 5.0 liters. Naturally aspirated engines, its go big or go home IMO.
Old 12-18-16, 09:20 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
That article above says "TwinPower" turbo, not twin turbo. BMW TwinPower turbos are twin scroll turbos, not actual twin turbos. So it seems like it's not the same engine.
Don't be confused by BMW's marketing department. Its the same IMO bad design they've been selling since 2008. Put the turbos and exhaust manifolds in the middle of the engine V, turning the thing into one big huge heat incinerator. Hopefully BMW has worked out the bugs, because the first few years of this engine are just awful, so much that BMW had a recall on them and has like 3 pages of parts they replaced with redesigned, better, more durable components.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N63
Old 12-18-16, 09:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
GM came out with the 505hp Z06 Corvette back in 2006. 7.0 liter naturally aspirated V8. Same thing with the Viper, its had 500hp since 2003, heck it had 450hp since 1996. I have no problem with Lexus staying N/A for their performance V8, it just needs a big jump in displacement from the current 5.0 liters. Naturally aspirated engines, its go big or go home IMO.
The old adage, from decades ago, that there is no replacement for displacement is generally true of normally-aspirated engines. But, more power without a turbo (or even with a turbo) is not necessarily just a measure of cramming in a larger mill under the hood. The engine-mounts, transmission, clutch (if applicable), drive line, U-joints/CV-joits, differentials, and other driveline components all have to be able to take the added torque without shredding their parts. The radiator and cooling system has to be able to handle the expected amount of engine-heat. It has to pass EPA tests or similar emissions regulations in other countries. Some countries tax vehicles by engine displacement...and that may (?) discourage some added sales. A larger engine may overcrowd the underhood compartment, and make some underhood components difficult to reach or service (I talk about that in my auto-reviews, if applicable). The larger engine may be heavier and change the vehicle's center of gravity, affecting handling, ride, braking, or steering response.....necessitating some changes/modifications to the chassis. There are reasons why auto engineers and designers are paid the kind of money and salaries they get.....they have to earn them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-18-16 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-18-16, 10:39 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The old adage, from decades ago, that there is no replacement for displacement is generally true of normally-aspirated engines. But, more power without a turbo (or even with a turbo) is not necessarily just a measure of cramming in a larger mill under the hood. The engine-mounts, transmission, clutch (if applicable), drive line, U-joints/CV-joits, differentials, and other driveline components all have to be able to take the added torque without shredding their parts. The radiator and cooling system has to be able to handle the expected amount of engine-heat. It has to pass EPA tests or similar emissions regulations in other countries. Some countries tax vehicles by engine displacement...and that may (?) discourage some added sales. A larger engine may overcrowd the underhood compartment, and make some underhood components difficult to reach or service (I talk about that in my auto-reviews, if applicable). The larger engine may be heavier and change the vehicle's center of gravity, affecting handling, ride, braking, or steering response.....necessitating some changes/modifications to the chassis. There are reasons why auto engineers and designers are paid the kind of money and salaries they get.....they have to earn them.
The 7.0 liter LS7 in the old Corvette Z06 is the same physical size as the 4.8 liter LY2 as found in pickup trucks. The LS7 also weighs less due to the block and heads being aluminum vs cast iron for the truck motor.

Although you do bring up a good point of some countries taxing engine displacement. I think Japan does that, along with some European countries. Thus you get odd-ball and totally lame things like the Ferrari 208 GTS, with a two liter V8 instead of a three liter V8.

But anyways, there is a horsepower war going on now and Lexus/Toyota is the laughing stock of the crowd. If they want to be taken seriously, they need a real answer to BMW's M, AMG, Audi's S line and Cadillac's V line. Not even in the upper top 550-700hp range, I'm talking about Lexus having no good answer to things like BMW's 335i, the lower line V8 in the A8, S6, S550, etc and Benz's new turbo six coming up in the E-class. Lexus is coming up short with 10 year old designs on its V8 and a warmed over V6 Camry engine.
Old 12-19-16, 12:40 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Impressive performance. I'd be curious to see if BMW has fixed all the horrid reliability issues with its twin turbo V8, including that ridiculous 15,000 mile oil change.
That was fixed in the last generation of cars once the "N63tu" motors debuted. They've further evolved the design with the N63tu2 in the M550i.

Don't be confused by BMW's marketing department. Its the same IMO bad design they've been selling since 2008. Put the turbos and exhaust manifolds in the middle of the engine V, turning the thing into one big huge heat incinerator. Hopefully BMW has worked out the bugs, because the first few years of this engine are just awful, so much that BMW had a recall on them and has like 3 pages of parts they replaced with redesigned, better, more durable components.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N63
So you have enough engineering expertise to call it a bad design? You know there's lots of positives involved with designing an engine like that right? Both Audi and Mercedes use that same "hot Vee" engine design to great effect.
Old 12-19-16, 04:07 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A lot of the NA engines mentioned are huge. The point I was making was that the HP/displacement is pretty amazing in my opinion, that is not found on some exotic.

It's easy to bore out a huge V8 to 6 or 7 liters, whereas this 5 liter meets or exceeds some of those.

Ford's famed 5 liter only pushes 435 HP (actually pretty good all things considered), while Chevy's 6.2 liter is only good for 445 HP. Hey Toyota beats them both at 467 or 471 HP.
Old 12-19-16, 08:53 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

Very nice, but I still wish they'd import the M550d xDrive that's been available overseas since 2012. 550lbft from a 3.0L Straight six diesel with three turbos, yummy!
Old 12-19-16, 09:54 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

An M550 drive has to be close to $100k. At that price point, I would think most buyers would opt for the faster and more advanced Tesla Model S.
Old 12-19-16, 09:59 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckNX
An M550 drive has to be close to $100k. At that price point, I would think most buyers would opt for the faster and more advanced Tesla Model S.
Whelp, you'd be surprised. There's very much so still a market for those who want an ICE car with a very high quality interior. BMW would be leaving money on the table by not offering this variant.

A lot of the NA engines mentioned are huge. The point I was making was that the HP/displacement is pretty amazing in my opinion, that is not found on some exotic.

It's easy to bore out a huge V8 to 6 or 7 liters, whereas this 5 liter meets or exceeds some of those.

Ford's famed 5 liter only pushes 435 HP (actually pretty good all things considered), while Chevy's 6.2 liter is only good for 445 HP. Hey Toyota beats them both at 467 or 471 HP.
Let's also not forget that just because the displacement is huge, it doesn't mean the engine is huge. Chevy's 5.7L LS1, for example, is actually a very compact motor.

Last edited by TangoRed; 12-19-16 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-19-16, 02:00 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That was fixed in the last generation of cars once the "N63tu" motors debuted. They've further evolved the design with the N63tu2 in the M550i.

So you have enough engineering expertise to call it a bad design? You know there's lots of positives involved with designing an engine like that right? Both Audi and Mercedes use that same "hot Vee" engine design to great effect.
I'm sure the design has its pluses and minuses, like being much easier to build and better packaging. Routing the exhaust manifolds to the turbos is a lot more efficient with this design. It just makes A TON of heat which can fry underhood components, which was part of the problem on the early BMW engines. Anyways, I think BMW gave us a half-baked engine with the original N63, that they really didn't do the sort of durability testing on it and rushed it out the door. Historically BMW's with the V8 and V12 engines have been huge money pits with questionable reliability once out of warranty, even before the N63 twin turbo came along. The specs are impressive with the new 550i and M5, but IMO I'd be very leery of buying one due to their historically bad service record and horrid depreciation
Old 12-19-16, 03:22 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Some--sure. "Most"? No way. The technology is not yet at the point where "most" people will make the compromise for an EV--not to mention the nosedive that Tesla's reliability rating has taken, and substandard quality as compared to other cars of that price.
Old 12-19-16, 04:31 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

They are very different cars. Most buyers don't want range limited cars and want something that can simply be gassed up and taken on long trips without the inconvenience and worry about re charging if it is even possible in certain areas plus the Tesla is so heavy and nowhere near as sporty and the interior is pretty lackluster for what you pay, reliability is a issue too. I do agree the M550 is ridiculously overpriced. Why is it so expensive now to just get a optional V8? It makes a affordable V8 Genesis G80 or G90 even more of a consideration.

Last edited by UDel; 12-19-16 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-19-16, 09:11 PM
dr Lu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a current M5 owner, i hated tesla's cheap finishes. tons of things to like about tesla, but the interior isnt one.

regarding the OP. I am really excited for the new M5. the car needs AWD bad.

Quick Reply: BMW expands 5 Series range with M550i xDrive and 530e iPerformance