Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Second-Generation Toyota GT-86/Subaru BR-Z on the way.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-16, 08:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Second-Generation Toyota GT-86/Subaru BR-Z on the way.

While the Scion FR-S/Subaru BR-Z/Toyota GT-86 was always too noisy, too cramped, too low on winter traction, and too stiff-riding for my tastes, it is still an excellent, moderately-priced competitor to the Mazda Miata if you don't want or need a convertible. It's nice to know that a second-generation version seems to be on the way, though, of course, the Scion version died with the Scion nameplate.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...-expected-2019

Next-generation Toyota GT86 expected by 2019

Toyota has confirmed plans for a second generation of the 197bhp rear-wheel-drive sports car; soft-top version of the current generation is unlikely

by Julian Rendell
7 December 2016
Toyota has confirmed that the GT86 sports car will continue into a second generation, with a likely onsale date of 2018-2019.

“The GT86 is at the stage where it’s being decided on the next one,” Toyota Europe boss Karl Schlicht revealed. “Then a chief engineer will be assigned and away we go.”

The 197bhp rear-wheeldrive GT86 has carved out a niche as a fun driver’s car, but like most sports models, its strong early sales have subsequently subsided.

“The GT86 will carry on,” said Schlicht. “The car serves a big purpose. We are not getting out of that business. Sporty cars go through their phases. It’s our intention to continue with that car.”

Continued co-operation with Subaru also looks likely but is as yet unconfirmed.

“Will it be with Subaru?” said Schlicht. “I don’t know. But for the concept to carry on, with the low engine, we’d have to do that. There are a lot of reasons to continue with Subaru.”

A key engineering feature of the GT86 is its low-slung Subaru flat four engine, which keeps the centre of gravity low for better handling.

Schlicht also suggested that a soft-top version of the GT86 was unlikely. “We wouldn’t do it on the current model,” he said. “That doesn’t mean dealers wouldn’t like one, but there are so many other priorities that I don’t think we’ve got spare capacity for that.”

The new GT86 will sit below the reborn Supra in Toyota’s sports car line-up. The bigger coupé is currently in development with BMW, whose version will replace the Z4 roadster.

“That co-operation is going well,” said Schlicht. “It’s on track. It’s being done in Europe. Our version is a different car from BMW’s.”
Old 12-10-16, 10:21 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

That car would sell really well if they had an STi variant. Otherwise it's way too slow aside from being a terrific vehicle.
Old 12-10-16, 11:06 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Give it another 50hp and the car will be near perfect.
Old 12-10-16, 11:39 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, it does need some extra power and it be golden. It was my favourite car I have owned to date. I do hope in the future, I will get my hands on another one.
Old 12-10-16, 07:39 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If the next model is really only 2 years away, there are no ifs about it; the decision has been made and we should start seeing camouflaged models out testing very soon, if we have not already seen them.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-11-16 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-13-16, 01:00 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

The TNGA is suppose to have a low center of gravity to begin with. Dont see why it needs a boxer engine. Use the updated 2.5L 4cyl as a base engine and the 2.0t as the top engine. Both engine will be torquey and lively in such a light car. Then again, it is probably a lot more cost effective to share a platform with Subie.
Old 12-14-16, 08:56 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Excited for this. I waited for a long time when it was revealed but one test drive later I jumped into a Miata instead. Thing definitely needs more torque and it's quite apparent when you look at the 5-60 times that it's a slouch. Great used car to mod, but spending $25k+ new no way.
Old 12-14-16, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Seems like no sports-oriented vehicle ever has enough power. No matter how much is put in, there is always a demand for more. Actually, given this car's size and weight, the power level isn't bad. It's not supposed to be a Corvette or Dodge Viper.
Old 12-14-16, 04:34 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Seems like no sports-oriented vehicle ever has enough power. No matter how much is put in, there is always a demand for more. Actually, given this car's size and weight, the power level isn't bad. It's not supposed to be a Corvette or Dodge Viper.
nah, drop the WRX 268hp motor in this thing and you're set!
Old 12-14-16, 04:36 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wanted to like this car but I don't think it did so hot on the market due to (a) no power and (b) a putrid interior. The boy racer looks probably didn't help either. Wishing them the best of luck with the next one.
Old 12-14-16, 04:37 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was adequate but nothing exciting. It's like driving a BMW 328 vs. a 340. Yes, the 328 works, but it is mostly just entertaining in the corners. The 340 is entertaining everywhere.
Old 12-15-16, 07:22 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

When even the ND Miata is quicker than you and you have to clutch dump it at 4k rpm to get 0-60 below 7 ticks, you know you need more power. Yes, I can agree it doesn't need 300hp(though an STI/TRD trim vs the Z/Genesis would be great) but the torque is what kills the car. It's tough to spend $27k+ when you can get a cheaper WRX that is much quicker and more practical from the same dealer. It's a great chassis but people have been clamoring for more power for 3+ years and at this poinst anyone who wanted one bought one. One test drive made me reconsider spending $25k+ and just spend $5k on an NA and have just as much fun.
Old 12-15-16, 07:25 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrownPride
It was adequate but nothing exciting. It's like driving a BMW 328 vs. a 340. Yes, the 328 works, but it is mostly just entertaining in the corners. The 340 is entertaining everywhere.
328i is still a 14 flat quarter / nearly 5 flat car. This is more akin to the 320i "Jalopnik" edition with 180HP and great chassis.
Old 12-15-16, 07:29 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Always been a fan of the FRS/BRZ but like others stated a little more power would have been nice maybe I'm that way because of the Supra lol.
Old 12-15-16, 01:03 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

at least make the turbo a $5000 option to shut people up, LOL.

Quick Reply: Second-Generation Toyota GT-86/Subaru BR-Z on the way.