Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Overtakes BMW in U.S. Luxury Sales

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 02:44 PM
Club Lexus Editor
CL Editor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus Overtakes BMW in U.S. Luxury Sales

Lexus has overtaken BMW and jumped into second place for U.S. sales among major luxury auto makers.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Old 12-06-16, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Look at that big decline in CT sales, though.....an almost 40% (39.6) drop from last year. Cheap gas seems to be taking its toll.

I disagree, BTW, with the CT200h being listed in the SUV column....IMO, it is not an SUV by any stretch of the imagination.

Looks like that big (and much-discussed) spindle grille is not damping RX sales any. So far (and 2016 is not over yet) RX sales are up over 8%.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-06-16 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-06-16, 07:28 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Great to see this for Lexus! No wonder the lease deals on BMWs are so good. Now, if I only wanted one...

Last edited by dseag2; 12-06-16 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-06-16, 08:44 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While its nice news, it just seems like a dumb article from NASDAQ because no company shoots to be #2.
Old 12-06-16, 08:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
While its nice news, it just seems like a dumb article from NASDAQ because no company shoots to be #2.
Not only that, but it's unusual for a company to overtake one of its main rivals by losing so many sales. Only the RX and NX seemed to increase by any real numbers. The LX had a 71% increase, but that was in few actual numbers.
Old 12-06-16, 11:25 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Lexus was #2 last year in total registered vehicles and BMW was #3, a lot of their cars were either fleet deals or simply exported. BMWs weren't hot for exports this year so I figure its natural that their overall sales were down, they lost their buffer.
Old 12-07-16, 03:27 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

BMW needs to make more models ASAP! They should start filling the gaps in between the models as well, create 3 1/2 series, 4 3/4 series and so on
Old 12-07-16, 04:20 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not only that, but it's unusual for a company to overtake one of its main rivals by losing so many sales. Only the RX and NX seemed to increase by any real numbers. The LX had a 71% increase, but that was in few actual numbers.
If anything it tells us how late Lexus brought NX to the game and how they failed to recognize huge CUV market. If they knew back then what they know now CT200h would have been Mazda CX3 competitor instead of Mazda 3 competitor.

My reasoning is that they were afraid to rebadge RAV4 one generation ago cause they were chasing others in SUV game. They strived for that premium SUV segment and thought of all SUVs as their flagship products cause GX was more expensive than RX and LX was more expensive than GX. They blindly went head to head with BMW and MB who only had premium SUVs at the time. Toyota gave head start to BMW and Audi to get into premium CUV game even though they already had their own CUV ready. That was an amazing botch and that usually happens when you are chasing others instead of doing your own thing from time to time.

If NX was released five years ago its numbers would have been same as RX numbers by now.
Old 12-07-16, 06:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
If anything it tells us how late Lexus brought NX to the game and how they failed to recognize huge CUV market. If they knew back then what they know now CT200h would have been Mazda CX3 competitor instead of Mazda 3 competitor.

My reasoning is that they were afraid to rebadge RAV4 one generation ago cause they were chasing others in SUV game. They strived for that premium SUV segment and thought of all SUVs as their flagship products cause GX was more expensive than RX and LX was more expensive than GX. They blindly went head to head with BMW and MB who only had premium SUVs at the time. Toyota gave head start to BMW and Audi to get into premium CUV game even though they already had their own CUV ready. That was an amazing botch and that usually happens when you are chasing others instead of doing your own thing from time to time.

If NX was released five years ago its numbers would have been same as RX numbers by now.
The NX is not really a rebadged or upmarket RAV-4, as many believe. Though it is true that both were derived from the same basic platform, there are a number of engineering and powertrain changes in the NX......I outlined them in my NX review.
Old 12-07-16, 06:31 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I disagree, BTW, with the CT200h being listed in the SUV column....IMO, it is not an SUV by any stretch of the imagination.
Agreed. Unless the definition of SUV has recently been changed to "any vehicle with five doors", the CT is clearly a car. Classified correctly, it'd be in good company, as sales have dropped on all the other cars in the lineup.
Old 12-07-16, 06:45 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Surprised all the SUVs in their lineup, X1, X2, X3, X4 and X5 didnt really help them.
Old 12-07-16, 08:00 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi

Now imagine what their sales numbers would be with a strong offering in the 3 row CUV market... This is another lost opportunity for Lexus.
Old 12-07-16, 08:43 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Slow and steady is the Toyota and Japanese mantra... continuous improvement. It likely means they can't fully take advantage of certain upswings, but they also hope that it shelters them from the deepest valleys of the downturns.

BMW's lineup is also fairly aged at this point. All-new 5 Series is launching now, followed by X3, then all-new 3 in a few years. With the market the way it is now, I think it's hard for one company to maintain position at the absolute top for a string of years such as Lexus enjoyed in the past. It's becoming much more competitive on all fronts. Which is great for the consumers!
Old 12-07-16, 09:04 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Surprised all the SUVs in their lineup, X1, X2, X3, X4 and X5 didnt really help them.
Maybe next year(?) when the X7 comes out, it will bring up the #

On another X4s are here and there but the 7 series.......anybody see them at all? I only saw 2, seriously
Old 12-07-16, 10:24 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Maybe next year(?) when the X7 comes out, it will bring up the #

On another X4s are here and there but the 7 series.......anybody see them at all? I only saw 2, seriously
I see plenty of the new 7 around LA. I think it takes a sharper eye to notice them, as it's quite evolutionary in design change. Sales through November are up over last year, and it's the only car in that competitive set to achieve a gain this year. Of course it still trails the S-Class by a fairly large margin.

Quick Reply: Lexus Overtakes BMW in U.S. Luxury Sales