Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Overtakes BMW in U.S. Luxury Sales

Old 12-07-16, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I also may be the only one on the planet that doesn't care for the orange lights, but that's just a personal preference. I know they are based on aircraft lights for better visibility, but I prefer white.
I'm with you on the red/orange instrument-panel lights....they have never been my cup of tea either, even in an airplane cockpit (I also have a pilot's license). Audi and Pontiac used the red/orange for years, and Nissan/Infiniti a weird yellow/orange color for several years. White is much nicer...and if they get too bright, you can always turn the intensity down. The light blue/aqua color, though, used in some Chevy, Buick, and GMC products is the nicest of all....my Verano has that light blue. The Ford Mustang had a nice (though complex) solution to the problem several years ago, but I don't know if the latest Mustangs still have it......a control-setting that lets you choose the dash-lights from any one of over a hundred colors.
Old 12-07-16, 07:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I've found the material quality and fit and finish of BMW interiors to be very good. The styling is on the spartan/dated side vs.the competition though. Controls are well positioned and easy to use.
Old 12-07-16, 07:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't think BMW interiors are crappy. Just dated. They are where the previous Audi A4/A5/S4/S5 interiors were before the new ones were introduced. Nicely finished, but dated. I'm sure the new 3 and 5 Series will bring new, modern interiors.

I also may be the only one on the planet that doesn't care for the orange lights, but that's just a personal preference. I know they are based on aircraft lights for better visibility, but I prefer white.
I agree and I have always wondered how BMW gets away with their interiors sometimes. I always thought the leather was coarse and too firm. Hate the gauges as well. Most things I can't stand about BMW. With that said, my sister moved on from her 10 IS250 and into Twin Turbo 3 series and she simply raves, and raves about. Idrive is fantastic and the interior is just great, her Lexus has been completely forgotten. She says everything feels more solid.
Old 12-07-16, 07:55 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree and I have always wondered how BMW gets away with their interiors sometimes. I always thought the leather was coarse and too firm. Hate the gauges as well. Most things I can't stand about BMW. With that said, my sister moved on from her 10 IS250 and into Twin Turbo 3 series and she simply raves, and raves about. Idrive is fantastic and the interior is just great, her Lexus has been completely forgotten. She says everything feels more solid.
I can understand the comment re: solidity. German cars in general feel very solid. I've also heard great things about iDrive. After all the complaints they received about the original iDrive setup they apparently turned things around.
Old 12-07-16, 07:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I've found the material quality and fit and finish of BMW interiors to be very good.
What I meant, though, was that, in this category, Audi and Lexus usually lead in the interior fit/finish department...though the new Lincoln Continental interior is also quite impressive. BMW interiors aren't crappy as such, but they don't seem to have as fine detail and/or fit/finish as some of the better Audis. And I never was much impressed with that Navajo "Leather" that BMW used, which, to me, looked and felt like much cheaper perforated-vinyl.
Old 12-07-16, 08:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I don't think BMW interiors are crappy. Just dated. They are where the previous Audi A4/A5/S4/S5 interiors were before the new ones were introduced. Nicely finished, but dated. I'm sure the new 3 and 5 Series will bring new, modern interiors.

And even on aircraft we've switched to white...
Old 12-08-16, 12:07 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Maybe next year(?) when the X7 comes out, it will bring up the #

On another X4s are here and there but the 7 series.......anybody see them at all? I only saw 2, seriously
The X7 will be a high priced beast. Probably won't move the needle much.
Old 12-08-16, 12:09 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Let's not forget Audi, as they've been steadily growing in the U.S. in terms of popularity. They've definitely been taking a chunk out of BMW's pie in some categories.
It won't last long if Audi keeps following the trend of one sausage many sizes that all German brands are following, including VW. I wouldnt be able to tell which Porsche is new even if you offered me $1m
Old 12-08-16, 02:21 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Surprised all the SUVs in their lineup, X1, X2, X3, X4 and X5 didnt really help them.
They need to focus on making better interior. I didn't see any character inside the BMW cabin.
Old 12-08-16, 06:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

I see new 7s a lot around here. I actually quite like them...
Old 12-09-16, 08:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

bmw/mb interiors tend to use a lot of hard plastic, which while it feels 'solid' still feels and looks cheap to me.
Old 12-09-16, 11:27 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
bmw/mb interiors tend to use a lot of hard plastic, which while it feels 'solid' still feels and looks cheap to me.
You must be kidding, Lexus interior use far cheaper (harder) plastic than MB.
Old 12-09-16, 12:29 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW interiors are perfectly fine. Not as flashy from a design standpoint, but they use the highest quality materials and are built very solidly. Aside from the aging current 3-series and X3 their entire lineup is fine.

If anybody, it's Lexus whose interiors are lacking. Yes their interiors are much better than they used to be, but they still lack the attention to detail their competitors have. Lexus has, for years, used that ugly charcoal colored plastic copiously throughout their cabins. And the Toyota parts bin special doesn't help either.
Old 12-09-16, 12:31 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have both those cars and the BMW is more solid by a mile. From the quality of the carpets, headliner, buttons, controls, attention to detail, build quality, driving experience, etc. it's in an entirely different league of its own. Unfortunately, when it comes to the F30, BMW didn't really improve on the interior whereas the C-class and A4 not only caught up, but overtook the 3-series.
Old 12-09-16, 12:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by sears1234
You must be kidding, Lexus interior use far cheaper (harder) plastic than MB.
depends on model. the ES certainly uses hard plastic and looks pretty cheap. but i was recently in (now last gen) e-class and was pretty unimpressed with the interior.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus Overtakes BMW in U.S. Luxury Sales