Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next car? A5, Allroad or QX30?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-16, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I've sat in a couple of them at auto shows. The interior would be a big thing to get past.
Yes, I agree. Jaguar interiors, for the most part, aren't really Jaguar anymore (e.g. rich wood and premium leather), having basically gone over the the metallic, high-tech look. Only the XJ sedan seems to retain at least part of the traditional Jag opulence inside.
Old 12-06-16, 07:10 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

My price range is $50-$55k, so the QX30 is well under. The A5 and Allroad are right there.

The older Infinitis have a ****, but you must use the arrows on the **** to scroll through addresses, etc. That means you keep hitting the arrow up/down/across until you input the information. It takes forever. Plus, it's high up on the dash, so honestly, my arm is tired by the time I've entered anything.

My A4 has a **** and you simply turn it to get to the letters/numbers and click on it. Or you can write the letters on the ****. It is so much simpler, and it is also right in front of the shifter handle that doubles as an armrest. Infiniti needs to seriously get up to speed. Infiniti and Audi systems...
Got it. I would use it as a touch screen to input addresses and such. And yes, the system Audi/BMW/Merc uses is clearly a generation behind with the ability to write letters on the **** and move around the menu with ease.

I've sat in a couple of them at auto shows. The interior would be a big thing to get past. I know they drive well, but lots of reports have said they are kind of rough around the edges.
I'd agree with that sentiment having gotten some seat time behind one. Was just a thought. Shame you don't like MB GLC300 as it's been getting great marks in reliability and there's deals to be had. There's great deals to be had on the X3/X4 too, for that matter.
Old 12-06-16, 03:36 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Of the three, most definitely the QX 30 is out as I'm not feeling it's tall hatchback on stilts look, like the GLA for which it's based on. I will admit though, the MB 2L Turbo is one heck of a smooth powerplant.

I like the F-Pace tough it gets pricey fast and I agree the interior is cheap-looking like the XE's...

What about an NX ?

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-06-16 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-06-16, 04:31 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I would get the 4series GranCoupe since you like the A5 Sportback.
If you custom order it with Msport - it will look amazing. BMW lets you lockin the lease pricing until the car arrives.
Old 12-06-16, 05:35 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

What about the new Mazda CX-5?

Mazdas invariably drive well and the new Mazda interiors are really great.

Old 12-06-16, 06:27 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations. Lots to think about!
Old 12-06-16, 06:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations. Lots to think about!
Yep, when you come to Car Chat, you're definitely going to get replies and recommendations.

Good Luck on your choice. I'll say the same thing I always do after reviews......Happy car Shopping.
Old 12-06-16, 07:22 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

That's why I love this forum!
Old 03-01-17, 10:02 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the A5 sportback. Haven't seen one in person but the car looks great in the pics so far.
Old 03-01-17, 10:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm a firm believer that cars should look like cars, SUV's should look like SUV's, and trucks should look like trucks. From what you listed, the Jeep is the only one that looks like what it's intended purpose is. It would be my choice. All the others, in my opinion, have a weak appearance.
Old 03-02-17, 09:26 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

If you aren't in a big hurry, the new Infiniti QX-50 is due soon. The concept is near production design and it will have a turbo V-6 option.
Steve
Old 03-02-17, 10:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
If you aren't in a big hurry, the new Infiniti QX-50 is due soon. The concept is near production design and it will have a turbo V-6 option.
Steve
I believe it's their new variable compression 4 cylinder turbo, and it switches away from the RWD/AWD based platform to a FWD/AWD one.
Old 03-02-17, 12:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I will have to say, the Jeep Grand Cherokee I sat in was incredibly impressive. However, that particular model was just shy of $60k. I still can't justify that amount for a Jeep.
i'm biased of course, but yeah, it's nice. for $60k i assume that was a summit? mine was a lot less than that because a) i got a good deal, and b) i bought rwd version but now they only have 4x4 for summit.
but since you're leasing (i presume) maybe not so bad anyway (i thought i heard resale on gc is pretty decent which should help lease). you also don't have to get summit trim of course!

about the qx30 was recently at a dealer and even the sales guy wasn't a fan because of it being a joint venture with mb. however, from my sitting in it (but not driving though) i thought it was great!

what about a lexus nx?
Old 03-02-17, 07:08 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Yes, it was a GC Summit I sat in. I've checked out their lease rates and they are pretty good. Re: the NX, I've posted on the NX forums to see how people like them and the reviews are mostly positive with the exception of a few owners who say the subwoofer rattles. That isn't good.

By all indications, the A5 SB won't be at dealers in time, although I can probably extend the lease on the G37. The Q5 looks to be arriving in April, so that may be a contender. So many cars to drive, so little time!
Old 03-03-17, 08:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm a firm believer that cars should look like cars, SUV's should look like SUV's, and trucks should look like trucks. From what you listed, the Jeep is the only one that looks like what it's intended purpose is. It would be my choice. All the others, in my opinion, have a weak appearance.
Though I can't quite agree with the second part of your statement, you get a hearty Thanks for the first (bolded) part. I feel exactly the same way.

Quick Reply: Next car? A5, Allroad or QX30?