Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can you I.D. this disguised car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-16, 01:14 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Let's not play the guess it game, this is the next big Lexus attraction caught testing. This isn't the entire car itself though. In seeing many prototypes and studying "spy shots" over the years, I learned to differentiate between various OEMs. Definitely a Toyota of some sort and yes, it is RWD. Unless the 4LS body is now serving as an early mule for the 5GS or the 7ES is being engineered as now a longitudinal FWD product, this is a 5LS mule. That is the only alternative, in that Lexus is using this to test GA-L products.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Heading to the hospital to visit my dad Wednesday afternoon, I spotted this heavily disguised sedan heading down the truck lane of I-5 between Weldon Canyon and Calgrove. Not the greatest shot, but it was the best I could get while still watching brake lights in front of me. Kinda looked like the size of an Impala, but with extra ground clearance, wide tires, and distinct cut-outs for the exhaust. Also had Michigan plates. It was a she, and she exited Lyons in Stevenson Ranch, which is a bit peculiar unless she was just turning around to go back south on the 5. Mind you this was all in the year's worst traffic day for this stretch of highway.

https://youtu.be/FJrOLTPPxyI
Extremely ironic in how you (a Lexus owner) that regularly posts in a Lexus forum, casually comes across this (of all things). Many people might disagree about this, but that is very much a 5LS (200B program) test mule. Very weird composition of the test vehicle, as I can see that most of the body panels are from the outgoing XF40. They already are in deep testing of LHD US-market prototypes, so why are they using a mule with the production-intent front end and the XF40 body? Only early on for cooling purposes, does that make sense. I find it very interesting when you Lexus owners stumble upon some of rarest things, especially something very important at the moment to this brand. You're now a spy photographer, doing a much better job than most mainstream outlets.

This is essentially the same mule from May, now without patterned camouflage and more of a sheathing.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My guess is the next-generation Ford Taurus (if Ford does not drop it from the American market, which I doubt because of its heavy police sales).
How is that a Taurus or a Ford in any respect? There is not going to be a new Taurus in the U.S. until the CD6 platform goes into production and that is barely being tested on mules of the U502 Explorer replacement. Ford prototypes don't look like that in general. I do look forward to when a large monocoque RWD Lincoln (CD714) is built on that platform in 2020.

Originally Posted by RXSF
It looks like a current gen LS to me...except for the rear deck lid. Im going to guess some sort of Hyundai
Well, it is an LS most certainly. Not a Hyundai on any level though. The rear foglights are the biggest confirmation, as well as that of the overall profile. 4LS body testing something alright.

Grandeur-Clearly not it.

Genesis G70 Prototype

G80 Prototype

Genesis G90 (2015)

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm thinking the new LS...
You got it, exactly what it is. I'm a little bit surprised many of us didn't pick up on this being a prototype from the Toyota Motor Company. Every company has unique camouflaging/disguising and that of trademark cues to give them away. This car likely came from the Ann Arbor technical center, hence the plate. This isn't the full body, which I can confirm based off of the actual MY2018 LS500h. Outside of that, I will primarily hold off on 5LS discussion until press introduction next year.
Old 11-28-16, 02:46 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

How fun, I did catch the new LS afterall! I just did a comparison to the lower rear bumper of each car. They are exact! The cut-outs for the exhaust on each side of the pipes are identical. Same with the position of the rear reflectors. And lastly, the third brakelight lines up with the other LS test mules.

Now it makes more sense why this lady was where she was at when she was there. Traffic crawled for hours on this section of the 5, on the most known busy driving day of the year. Why would anyone purposely drive in the worst conditions of the year, only to go ten miles? Overheating tests.

So where and when do I get to pick up my paycheck? ; )
Attached Thumbnails Can you I.D. this disguised car?-lexusls.jpg