Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Addiction

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-16, 11:26 PM
LexusDBN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Addiction

Is there such a thing as Lexus addiction? I owned BMW and Merc before, but just bought a Lexus 250 IS 2012 model. The other brands never moved me like this.
Sometimes i just sit in it and push all the buttons for fun. Adjust the seat, open and close mirrors. Just to feel the wonderfulness of the Lex.

Also i live 1 minute away from my work by foot. And i get upset cos i cant drive it to work.

Do others feel the same ever?

Last edited by LexusDBN; 11-19-16 at 12:01 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-19-16, 03:06 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel ya with the wanting to drive it more but not be able to.

i would love some quality time with my M if I can take 'her' out late at night, but my wife wouldn't approve :/ after owning it for year and 1 month, I barely put 6500 miles on it, sigh
Old 11-19-16, 07:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL.

As a longtime car guy myself, my advice is to not let yourself get truly addicted to anything on four wheels. Some things are relatively easy to get drawn to...Subaru's excellent AWD systems in the winter, minivan spaciousness when you need room inside or are carrying bulky items, Mazda Miatas when you want to canyon-carve in good weather, the comfort and refinement of luxury cars (especially before they went to low-profile tires and lost some of the ride comfort), the low operating costs and tax/HOV perks of small hybrids like the Prius, the fun of instant high-torque in muscle-cars, etc.....

But, no matter what you are driving, there is always another experience, another something to talk about, something to write about (or, in my case, both), the moment you get behind the wheel of something else. That's true even if it is a bare-bones econobox, like the Mitsubishi Mirage, that does little more than simply get you from Point A to Point B without walking LOL. In all my years of driving, once vehicles got rid of carburetors and breaker-point ignitions, only a few vehicles in the automotive world have truly disgusted me. One, driving the Smart-for-Two (which I don't even consider an automobile...it's a toy). Two, the giant Ford Excursion's handling....which was like a battleship on wheels (much worse than the Suburban's, and borderline dangerous.......the Excursion was simply too large and heavy for its suspension), and, Three, trying to shoehorn my big frame in and out of a Lotus Elise LOL....that was truly a PITA (though, once you actually got an Elise on the road, its handling, like the Miata's, is superlative).

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-19-16 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-19-16, 08:00 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Hello,

My name is Josh, and I...well...I have a problem. I am addicted to anything...and I mean anything, with 4 wheels and an internal combustion engine. Cars, trucks, vans, ATV's, anything. It borders on the unhealthy. Even clinically insane. I love my Ram so much, I have owned it for 18 months, and it has 62,500 miles on it. What makes me sad is knowing that they cost so much, because I am going to have to keep buying them I love them so much. I need a truck in my stable. If Lexus made one, I would own one. Lexus made me a customer with a 1990 ES250, then a 1996 LS400. I am on the hunt for an 03-05 LS430 now. But I have to have a truck, I do way to much ranch-type work, long trips towing and auto restoration not to have a pickup bed I can throw greasy engines/transmissions in and a big honkin V8 with torque for days to haul my 3 ton car I am restoring.

Its not an addiction, its a passion. Don't let it interfere with life, finances (too much debt), or take too much time away from family, and it isn't a problem, but rather a hobby.
Old 11-19-16, 09:08 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same car as you OP, while it certainly is a special car, I think you may be going a little overboard. The 250 is very underpowered, drinks gas, has delayed shifts in manual mode, and doesn't have very good fit and finish. My other car is an E90 BMW from the same era and there's no denying which is the superior car in pretty much every facet save for the maintenance costs.

Glad you love your car though.
Old 11-19-16, 06:19 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think each person that is into cars finds a particular style (especially interior) that suits him/ her. That may be what the OP is referring to. I loved the style of my 4GS interior, and I love the style of my A4 interior. I guess I just like a relatively flat, horizontal layout rather than the organic shapes in something like an Infiniti or a Mercedes C Class. It's great that each automaker has their own individual style and we have so much to choose from.

Last edited by dseag2; 11-19-16 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-21-16, 09:35 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

yep. ive had my 95 Ls400 for almost 4 years and I never get tired of driving and looking at it. im on my 4th one btw
any excuse I have to drive it I drive it. even if its just up the street. I still take the longest possible way to go home and other places just so I can drive it more, or just go on pointless drives wasting gas. ive racked up close to 100k on it thanks to that lol
Old 11-23-16, 01:19 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I have the same car as you OP, while it certainly is a special car, I think you may be going a little overboard. The 250 is very underpowered, drinks gas, has delayed shifts in manual mode, and doesn't have very good fit and finish. My other car is an E90 BMW from the same era and there's no denying which is the superior car in pretty much every facet save for the maintenance costs.

Glad you love your car though.
fit and finish? i think the 2IS' fit and finish was excellent. it's a solid, albeit (relatively) slow, machine.
Old 11-23-16, 02:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

You aren't addicted to Lexus, you are addicted to cars. There are several chapters of that throughout life. You are in the Lexus chapter now.
Old 11-23-16, 06:44 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
You aren't addicted to Lexus, you are addicted to cars. There are several chapters of that throughout life. You are in the Lexus chapter now.
Well said. We are all addicted to cars and will jump from brand to brand at times depending on what "speaks to us".
Old 12-18-16, 09:31 AM
bullhog
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Hello,

My name is Josh, and I...well...I have a problem. I am addicted to anything...and I mean anything, with 4 wheels and an internal combustion engine. Cars, trucks, vans, ATV's, anything. It borders on the unhealthy. Even clinically insane. I love my Ram so much, I have owned it for 18 months, and it has 62,500 miles on it. What makes me sad is knowing that they cost so much, because I am going to have to keep buying them I love them so much. I need a truck in my stable. If Lexus made one, I would own one. Lexus made me a customer with a 1990 ES250, then a 1996 LS400. I am on the hunt for an 03-05 LS430 now. But I have to have a truck, I do way to much ranch-type work, long trips towing and auto restoration not to have a pickup bed I can throw greasy engines/transmissions in and a big honkin V8 with torque for days to haul my 3 ton car I am restoring.

Its not an addiction, its a passion. Don't let it interfere with life, finances (too much debt), or take too much time away from family, and it isn't a problem, but rather a hobby.
Sir Josh, thank you for your service!! We need more men like you. You sound like a man after my own heart, its not an addiction. It sounds extremely healthy as a matter of fact. Merry Christmas to you and yours...