Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G80 Sport and G80 5.0AWD announced

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-16, 06:27 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sharp-looking car. Really like the contrast with the dark chrome!
Old 11-18-16, 07:50 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Beautiful car
Old 11-18-16, 08:49 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't understand the negative comments about the interior. To me, the interior is superior to the ES which is the nearest price competitor and close to the GS which is a bit more expensive. The G80 interior is also much larger than the GS.

I expect the next Genesis will be a slicked up version of the Santa Fe, then a smaller sedan to compete with the 3 series. The 3.3 turbo engine seems well suited to either.
Steve
Old 11-19-16, 09:10 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice. I haven't been able to find a picture of the interior. My beef with the G80 is it's very mundane interior design. Looks too Hyundai Sonata from inside from a design standpoint.
Old 11-19-16, 09:16 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I hope the people in the Lexus front end & grill department look at these pictures.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
...........better yet, act upon them.
You mean take the mesh pattern out of a Jaguar XJ grill and put it into a bastardized version of the Audi single frame grill and put a generic winged badge from a Bentley on it?

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 11-19-16 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-19-16, 09:29 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Genesis looks great on the road and this new Sport model is even better.

its crazy that Hyundai has more advanced engine in its Genesis than Lexus has in the GS.
Plus they offer a V8.

This is a stunning achievement in a short period of time.
Once they bring out a SUV - the brand will really take off.
Old 11-19-16, 12:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I don't understand the negative comments about the interior. To me, the interior is superior to the ES which is the nearest price competitor and close to the GS which is a bit more expensive. The G80 interior is also much larger than the GS.

I expect the next Genesis will be a slicked up version of the Santa Fe, then a smaller sedan to compete with the 3 series. The 3.3 turbo engine seems well suited to either.
Steve
I'm a big Genesis fan, but I also agree about the interior of the G80. The materials are good quality, but they don't look and feel luxurious, and overall the shapes and design theme feel too much like a Hyundai. They did a much better job on the G90, and I expect they will do a better job on the next G80.

The interior is better than the ES, but not nearly as nice as the GS IMHO.
Old 11-19-16, 12:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
You mean take the mesh pattern out of a Jaguar XJ grill and put it into a bastardized version of the Audi single frame grill and put a generic winged badge from a Bentley on it?
Not necessarily...although that indeed is one option. What I meant by Lexus "acting on it" is basically to come up with something better than the spindle grill. I know some people don't have a problem with the spindles, but IMHO they are ugly on all but the ES350.
Old 11-19-16, 12:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not necessarily...although that indeed is one option. What I meant by Lexus "acting on it" is basically to come up with something better than the spindle grill. I know some people don't have a problem with the spindles, but IMHO they are ugly on all but the ES350.
How can you think the spindle looks okay on the ES350 yet not on the other cars? The current ES350 is one of the more dramatic spindles.

Plenty of people think this Genesis shield grill is ugly too, its all a matter of taste.

Spindle grill is here to stay folks, they're not going to abandon it anytime soon. They designed it to be their signature look, and for the next several decades its going to exist.
Old 11-19-16, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
How can you think the spindle looks okay on the ES350 yet not on the other cars? The current ES350 is one of the more dramatic spindles.
No, I disagree. Subjective, of course, but IMHO, the ES350's spindle, though similar in shape to the others, seems more muted and less in-one's-face. The one on the new RX, for example, is especially garish.

Spindle grill is here to stay folks, they're not going to abandon it anytime soon. They designed it to be their signature look, and for the next several decades its going to exist.
We'll see. Acura was forced to finally abandon their parrot-beaks, though, admittedly, sales of most of their products (MDX excepted) haven't been in the same league as Lexus.
Old 11-19-16, 04:05 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If sales decline (no sign of that right now), or there is pushback from consumers, I expect the current styling trend will be revised or softened. This happens with all trends eventually. Remember L-finesse? That seemed to have lasted about one generation.

Last edited by LexBob2; 11-19-16 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-19-16, 06:14 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Looks nice. I haven't been able to find a picture of the interior. My beef with the G80 is it's very mundane interior design. Looks too Hyundai Sonata from inside from a design standpoint.
Here you go...
Attached Thumbnails Genesis G80 Sport and G80 5.0AWD announced-2017-genesis-g80-interior-center-stack.jpg  
Old 11-20-16, 01:18 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good I must say, the rims look straight off the RX F Sport line.
Old 11-20-16, 08:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
its crazy that Hyundai has more advanced engine in its Genesis than Lexus has in the GS.
Plus they offer a V8.

Both their V6 and V8 engines from Genesis are more advanced than the GS and LS engines. I think when the dust settles, Lexus and Genesis are going to be the perfect competitors for each other as it seem MB and BMW are further separating themselves from Lexus. Just IMO, I believe Lexus has the most to lose from Genesis.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-20-16 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-20-16, 08:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Once they bring out a SUV - the brand will really take off.
You are right, when their SUV comes out, the brand is going to take off. It will be interesting to see what type of RX fighter they might make.

Quick Reply: Genesis G80 Sport and G80 5.0AWD announced