Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Old 10-29-16, 07:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Lets look at how a 10 year old Hyundai has aged compared to a Lexus.
From what I've seen, most of them have aged pretty well. Yes, they have depreciated more than a Lexus or Toyota, but they have actually have depreciated more than they deserve to, given their build quality. IMO, the 5Gen 2006 Sonata, IMO, (now 10-11 years old) was the best Sonata ever built...better than the newer ones.

Or even better, let's look at how an early 90's Hyundai has aged compared to a Lexus.
Granted, 80s and 90s-vintage Hyundais were POS'es....no one is denying that. But you're talking apples and oranges. Today, it is a completely different automaker, with completely different (and FAR better vehicles)
Old 10-29-16, 08:53 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20 years back, there were a huge difference with which brand in reliability. Today, with so many new technology and each manufacture closing in on build quality, there are no longer that much difference anymore. And dare I say Toyota/Lexus has fallen before on many areas compare to other brands.
Old 10-29-16, 09:19 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I think if they want to dominate in the luxury field, they need to ramp up their RD efforts in the CUV space. Right at this moment, launching a CUV is more of a money maker then any other size of car. Back in the day when Lexus launched, they took on a popular lux segment of the time; full size sedan market. Nowdays no one cares if you launch a sedan, since most will make comparos with the sales success Cadillac has had with their sedan launches
Old 10-30-16, 06:53 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Granted, 80s and 90s-vintage Hyundais were POS'es....no one is denying that. But you're talking apples and oranges. Today, it is a completely different automaker, with completely different (and FAR better vehicles)
the memory of hyundais of the 80s and 90s is what's holding hyundai back, a factor toyota didn't have to deal with when it introduced lexus. hyundai has yet to overcome the stigma to an extent that they can sell luxury vehicles at the prices they are commanding. it will be interesting to see if they can break through that glass ceiling in the near future (and i think they will).
Old 10-30-16, 09:20 AM
eoph
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do think it is bland, but at the time, I thought Lexus pre-2013 (Except ISF) was pretty bland too. Being a younger guy the older Lexus' never interested me at all, and I would never buy one..........but that never stopped their sales, that's for sure.
Old 10-30-16, 11:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
the memory of hyundais of the 80s and 90s is what's holding hyundai back, a factor toyota didn't have to deal with when it introduced lexus. hyundai has yet to overcome the stigma to an extent that they can sell luxury vehicles at the prices they are commanding. it will be interesting to see if they can break through that glass ceiling in the near future (and i think they will).
That's just it, though....you hit the nail on the head. The fact that there is still a Hyundai stigma, after almost 20 years, is complete nonsense on the part of the public. There is no (remaining) grounds for a stigma at all....the company hasn't built lemons for almost two decades. The fact that there still is shows just how far much of the public is still from automotive reality. Only education can change that. And the best way to actually get educated is to do what a number of us here on Car Chat do......actually go look at today's cars and drive them.
Old 10-30-16, 11:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,496 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Nonsense or not, it is what it is and it's Hyundai's job to overcome that.
Old 10-30-16, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Nonsense or not, it is what it is and it's Hyundai's job to overcome that.
That's the point. They have, but people just don't acknowledge it.
Old 10-30-16, 12:26 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

That's just it, though....you hit the nail on the head. The fact that there is still a Hyundai stigma, after almost 20 years, is complete nonsense on the part of the public. There is no (remaining) grounds for a stigma at all....the company hasn't built lemons for almost two decades. The fact that there still is shows just how far much of the public is still from automotive reality. Only education can change that. And the best way to actually get educated is to do what a number of us here on Car Chat do......actually go look at today's cars and drive them.
Well, they clearly haven't overcome the stigma. Making better products doesn't mean you've changed the public's opinion on the brand overall. Of course this is more or less nonsense, we're dealing with humans here. Logic isn't paramount in this area- and that, as SW15LS said, is Hyundai's job to figure out.
Old 10-30-16, 01:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, they haven't. You don't understand what a stigma is. The fact ghost people won't acknowledge it IS the stigma.
Old 10-30-16, 03:46 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you want is a G80 then. Every full size luxury car is that length, including the LS460L. G80 is about 195 inches long. That's 5 series size now.
The G80? Hell NO!!! I might stick with 2017 Kia Cadenza instead.
Old 10-30-16, 03:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Well, they clearly haven't overcome the stigma. Making better products doesn't mean you've changed the public's opinion on the brand overall.
No, they haven't. You don't understand what a stigma is. The fact ghost people won't acknowledge it IS the stigma.
To try and make myself clear, what I was trying to say is that, yes, Hyundai/Kia have overcome the reason for the old and outdated stigma, and now, it's time for the heads-in-the-sand public to also do. But, one cannot do that by arguing on a forum, or by hiding behind an old wall....it takes a trip to the dealer to see and drive the products.

I've had people come to me for buying advice, and, for instance, when I mention (applicable) Hyundai/Kia products, simply rule them out ......sometimes just from the old public stigma, and not from any personal bad experience on their part from previous ownership.

Sometimes, though, people can surprise you. One lady talked with me about a replacement for her old Camry, wasn't sure she wanted another one, and, when I mentioned the Sonata, kind of shirked and backed off at first. She didn't ask me any further questions or advice, but then went shopping on her own...........and came home with a brand-new, red Hyundai Azera LOL.

(she probably got it at a steal, as many Hyundai shops couldn't give Azeras away)

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-30-16 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-30-16, 05:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by damtachoa
The G80? Hell NO!!! I might stick with 2017 Kia Cadenza instead.
LOL, why? The G80 is a much more robust package than the Cadenza, RWD/AWD, available V8, more substantial and quieter.
Old 10-30-16, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The G80 is a much more robust package than the Cadenza, RWD/AWD, available V8,
Not quite. Because of (supposedly) CAFE gas-mileage reasons, Hyundai sold the 3.8L Genesis with both RWD/AWD in the U.S. market, but restricted the 5.0L to RWD only. They seem to have continued that policy of no 5.0L/AWD with the shift in that vehicle's marketing to the G80 designation.

I'll agree with you, though, that, nice as the Cadenza is (and it's no turkey), the Genesis 5.0 RWD I sampled a couple of years ago simply blows it out of the water on road manners and refinement in almost every way. It is truly an excellent luxury car...especially for the price.

I'm waiting, though, to sample a new 2017 Cadenza...they aren't out yet in the D.C. area, delayed by strikes in South Korea affecting that country's trucking and shipping industries. Kia claims to have refined the ride and suspension this year.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-30-16 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-30-16, 06:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I said RWD/AWD comma available V8. Meaning the car is RWD layout, has available AWD and an available V8. Never said you could have both.

You can have AWD and the V8 in the G90.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news