Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 10:09 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, I managed to mod my LSs with some characters

All of my previous Lexus were modded somehow except my LX470, because in stock
form they just look so plain and boring.
Old 10-29-16, 12:14 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I would agree that they lack character overall. I would also say that for many, many years Lexus vehicles also lacked character. Lexus vehicles that I purchased and enjoyed were devoid of character.

It's really only since 2012 that Lexus has been making cars with "character" and they get absolutely derided for it.
The SC400 came out in 1991 and had tons of character.

The GS300 that came after was designed by Italdesign and also had tons of character.

The RX300 invented the segment, including the popularization of clear lens taillights.

The IS300 was all about character.

Ditto the L-finesse cars starting with the 2006 GS.

Not sure what you're on about, the only Lexus car that has traditionally been generic and devoid of character has been the LS.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LOL

because earlier LS were paragons of soul and character

Never said the LS430 had character or even mentioned it. Not sure how that's relevant to the Genesis cars not having character in 2016 going on 2017.
Old 10-29-16, 12:27 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The good thing about this, much like Lexus, Genesis' smaller models are slated to have tons of character. Their upcoming 3-series fighting Genesis G70 and the upcoming Genesis coupe are going to feature very expressive designs.

G70:
Old 10-29-16, 01:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Not sure what you're on about, the only Lexus car that has traditionally been generic and devoid of character has been the LS.

Not sure how that's relevant to the Genesis cars not having character in 2016 going on 2017.
You mean the car that started and defined Lexus? Much like this G90 is the start of the Genesis brand?

Its relevant because Genesis is just in its formative stages. Not lighting the world on fire with style yet, but give them time. It took Lexus many years before they started taking any chances.

The vehicles you mentioned may have character to you, but to the automotive world Lexus has always built bland, characterless cars and that extends to the models you mentioned. Thats what they have a reputation for making, and really just now are breaking loose from that stigma.
Old 10-29-16, 02:20 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

You mean the car that started and defined Lexus? Much like this G90 is the start of the Genesis brand?

Its relevant because Genesis is just in its formative stages. Not lighting the world on fire with style yet, but give them time. It took Lexus many years before they started taking any chances.

The vehicles you mentioned may have character to you, but to the automotive world Lexus has always built bland, characterless cars and that extends to the models you mentioned. Thats what they have a reputation for making, and really just now are breaking loose from that stigma.
No again, it didn't take Lexus many years. Lexus started taking chances almost immediately with the SC400.

We are in 2016 going on 2017, there is no excuse for a luxury car that looks like the G80/G90, especially from an upstart brand in a dying segment looking to stand out amongst a much larger group of established competitors.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 10-29-16 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-29-16, 02:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why is the fact that it's 2016 of any consequence? Lexus could have taken more stylistic chances in 1989 too. The SC was a great looking car but so we're a lot of other coupes of the day. Didn't change Lexus' reputation for making bland cars. That didn't change until 2012.

In any event, the SC came out 2 years into Lexus existence. We're going on 2 months into Genesis existence and we've seen one model. More models are coming. The only reason you presume they're going to be boring is because of your own bias against the brand.

Like I said, I've had 3 LS sedans, if someone likes the Lexus LS they will love the Genesis G90.
Old 10-29-16, 02:32 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Why is the fact that it's 2016 of any consequence? Lexus could have taken more stylistic chances in 1989 too. The SC was a great looking car but so we're a lot of other coupes of the day. Didn't change Lexus' reputation for making bland cars. That didn't change until 2012.

In any event, the SC came out 2 years into Lexus existence. We're going on 2 months into Genesis existence and we've seen one model. More models are coming. The only reason you presume they're going to be boring is because of your own bias against the brand.

Like I said, I've had 3 LS sedans, if someone likes the Lexus LS they will love the Genesis G90.
If this car made me want it, I would want it, regardless of bias. There will always be bias against an upstart brand, the challenge is overcoming this bias.

2016 is important because the market is completely different.

The G90 demonstrates Hyundai's complete incompetence and lack of ability to think independently given current conditions. These randys are copying the Lexus 1989 luxury brand playbook in a decade that's long since moved on. The car that is currently shaking up the entire luxury segment is the Tesla Model S, making Tesla the modern Lexus, not Hyundai/Genesis. The Model S is how you do a luxury upstart in 2016. It's how you shake up the establishment and get noticed. It's how you come up with your own playbook for success.
Old 10-29-16, 02:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think anybody looked at an LS400 and said "I want that" either. They wanted it when they drove it and saw the value proposition. Same as with the G90, when I drove it and saw the value, I wanted it.

I have seen and driven the Tesla, it doesn't appeal to me at all. Not everybody wants a Tesla.
Old 10-29-16, 02:52 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll buy this car if they fix 3 things:
1) Make this car 195" inches long, not 205" inches. It's too long and waste of space.
2) Make a better rear end, especially tail light. It's ugly.
3) Can you come up with better 19" inches rim design. (if I buy it, i'll change it to aftermarket rims anyway)
Old 10-29-16, 02:52 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

I don't think anybody looked at an LS400 and said "I want that" either. They wanted it when they drove it and saw the value proposition. Same as with the G90, when I drove it and saw the value, I wanted it.

I have seen and driven the Tesla, it doesn't appeal to me at all. Not everybody wants a Tesla.
Meanwhile Tesla is on track to selling 25k+ Model S this year, more than any of its competitors and at higher ATPs than the G90 ever will. The G90 will struggle for 1/5th of that, and Hyundai will call it a success.

Both of these are upstart brands. One is following its own innovative playbook fit for the times, the other can't think independently and is copying a 25 year old playbook that is simply outdated.

When the brand who's playbook you're copying is itself struggling to sell its own version of the cars you're knocking off, maybe its time to do something different.
Old 10-29-16, 02:57 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Tesla are bland and boring, more so than anything in Hyundai's lineup. Here in Miami, where people have some of the biggest ego's in the SE. I don't see people flaunting Tesla's. Tesla's biggest appeal is the lack of a combustion engine. Just preposterous to give kudos to Tesla on a design, which is even more boring than the current LS460.
Old 10-29-16, 03:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by damtachoa
I'll buy this car if they fix 3 things:
1) Make this car 195" inches long, not 205" inches. It's too long and waste of space.
2) Make a better rear end, especially tail light. It's ugly.
3) Can you come up with better 19" inches rim design. (if I buy it, i'll change it to aftermarket rims anyway)
What you want is a G80 then. Every full size luxury car is that length, including the LS460L. G80 is about 195 inches long. That's 5 series size now.

Tesla is very innovative and is doing very well. Still don't want one. I like the electric idea but I don't like their cars inside.
Old 10-29-16, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The good thing about this, much like Lexus, Genesis' smaller models are slated to have tons of character. Their upcoming 3-series fighting Genesis G70 and the upcoming Genesis coupe are going to feature very expressive designs.
Thanks. I didn't know they had a G70 in the works. That's probably going to be another very interesting product.

As far as the Genesis coupe is concerned, I can understand them dropping the old one and replacing it. The old one was nothing like the sedan, had a second-rate interior, and, although the 3.8 Track model had superb handling/steering/brakes (where, IMO, it could pass for a BMW), it was just not plush or refined enough to really be a member of the new Genesis division.
Old 10-29-16, 06:23 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I would agree that they lack character overall. I would also say that for many, many years Lexus vehicles also lacked character. Lexus vehicles that I purchased and enjoyed were devoid of character.

It's really only since 2012 that Lexus has been making cars with "character" and they get absolutely derided for it.

As for "outrageous prices for Genesis cars". Lol, what?!? How is $69,000 an outrageous price for a LWB full sized luxury car? How is $50,000 outrageous for a loaded V8 midsize luxury car? That's $20,000 below their competitors for both vehicles.

It's really funny to me to see Lexus fans knock Genesis for being everything a Lexus has always been. Derivative, and amalgamation of everybody else's designs, soulless, devoid of character, an LS owner in another thread said "it's still a $70,000 Hyundai", it's absurd saying that while driving an $80,000 Toyota LOL

You're describing Genesis, but you're also describing what Lexus has always been.

There's really no reason for someone who has liked Lexus vehicles from 1990-2011 to not like these Genesis cars.
You kindly left out the part where Lexus came into the market with bulletproof reliability that completely sht all over the Germans... What was Genesis (Hyundai's) roots? Oh yeah, making cheap, unreliable, very crappy cars. Lets look at how a 10 year old Hyundai has aged compared to a Lexus. Or even better, let's look at how an early 90's Hyundai has aged compared to a Lexus. Please do not compare Lexus roots to Hyundai, that is laughable my friend.
Old 10-29-16, 06:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No doubt Toyota was further ahead than Hyundai is now. However, I've owned a lot of high quality cars, including 6 Lexus sedans, 3 LS sedans. My Kia Sedona is the highest quality vehicle I have owned outside of probably that original LS400. It's an incredibly well built car, excellent materials, it's been dead reliable. No rattles, tight as can be, great paint and trim. Really impressed with it to the point where I honestly feel my time of Toyota/Lexus ownership may draw to a close when I'm done with my LS460.

Don't count them out, they're making very good cars now, I would have a ton of confidence getting a Genesis based on my experience with the Sedona.

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news