Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 05:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
ya but the g80 is much bigger than the lexus gs, benz e350 and bmw 5 series. its in between midsize and full size.
It's bigger than the GS, but not really bigger than the 5 Series and E300. They are also bigger than the GS.
Old 10-28-16, 07:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

every time i see a g80/genesis on the road i do double take. seriously sharp car. a few have come by me while i'm standing in a parking lot and i can barely hear them at all. so i'm looking forward to seeing my first g90 sighting.
Old 10-28-16, 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
every time i see a g80/genesis on the road i do double take. seriously sharp car. a few have come by me while i'm standing in a parking lot and i can barely hear them at all. so i'm looking forward to seeing my first g90 sighting.
Have you driven a G80/Hyundai Genesis 5.0L yet ? If not, I highly recommend it...you're in for a real treat. I know you saw the review I did on one a couple of years ago....you commented on it.

I'm keeping an open mind, though, on the G90....Steve says it drives even better than the G80. We'll see.
Old 10-28-16, 08:52 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's one of the most soulless and derivative car designs on the market, fake Audi grill, bulbous headlights, generic BMW side bodywork. Double taking only because you mistook it for an Audi or BMW. The only cool part about it IMO is the rear taillight illumination design.

Maybe their compact sedan will be the first with some proper styling.
Old 10-28-16, 09:24 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

These cars lack character. Even cheap brands like Ford and Mazda stand out. Here you got Hyundai and Genesis charging outrageous prices on vehicles that have no originality whatsoever. They might be nice vehicles but I cannot respect them copying a little bit from everybody else. They have yet to find their unique design language. Right now all I am seeing is Jaguar, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, and BMW blended into one vehicle....
Old 10-28-16, 09:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
These cars lack character. Even cheap brands like Ford and Mazda stand out. Here you got Hyundai and Genesis charging outrageous prices on vehicles that have no originality whatsoever. They might be nice vehicles but I cannot respect them copying a little bit from everybody else. They have yet to find their unique design language. Right now all I am seeing is Jaguar, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, and BMW blended into one vehicle....
Hmmm...........you claim that these cars borrow from some of the classiest nameplates on the market, yet state that they still lack character?
Old 10-28-16, 10:11 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hmmm...........you claim that these cars borrow from some of the classiest nameplates on the market, yet state that they still lack character?
Just because you do a cheap imitation of someone else's character, doesn't mean you have any real character of your own.
Old 10-29-16, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Just because you do a cheap imitation of someone else's character, doesn't mean you have any real character of your own.
Fine. You guys are entitled to your opinions. I don't have problem with that. But I'd say drive it first (or at least, go check one out and sit in it)....then comment.

Old 10-29-16, 07:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would agree that they lack character overall. I would also say that for many, many years Lexus vehicles also lacked character. Lexus vehicles that I purchased and enjoyed were devoid of character.

It's really only since 2012 that Lexus has been making cars with "character" and they get absolutely derided for it.

As for "outrageous prices for Genesis cars". Lol, what?!? How is $69,000 an outrageous price for a LWB full sized luxury car? How is $50,000 outrageous for a loaded V8 midsize luxury car? That's $20,000 below their competitors for both vehicles.

It's really funny to me to see Lexus fans knock Genesis for being everything a Lexus has always been. Derivative, and amalgamation of everybody else's designs, soulless, devoid of character, an LS owner in another thread said "it's still a $70,000 Hyundai", it's absurd saying that while driving an $80,000 Toyota LOL

You're describing Genesis, but you're also describing what Lexus has always been.

There's really no reason for someone who has liked Lexus vehicles from 1990-2011 to not like these Genesis cars.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-29-16 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-29-16, 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I would agree that they lack character overall. I would also say that for many, many years Lexus vehicles also lacked character. Lexus vehicles that I purchased and enjoyed were devoid of character.
One could argue that the original 1Gen IS300 was the first true Lexus with character.. Its unusual (for Lexus) paint colors, slammer-style clear lens over the red taillights,Toyota-Altezza interior, chronograph-style gauge panel, polished chrome-steel ball shifter, and (imitiation) racing-pedals for the accelerator/brake/clutch were way out of line with anything else Lexus had produced up to then...and, to an extent, even since then. I owned a bright Solar Yellow IS300, BTW, for some five years....that's how I joined CL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-29-16 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-29-16, 08:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would agree with that
Old 10-29-16, 09:06 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair enough point but I guarantee that the Genesis G80 and G90 will age well. They have a restrained yet handsome look to them which tends to remain timeless. Cars with out-of-the-box styling elements like the new Lexus RX look flashy at first but will look very dated and garish in a matter of years.
Old 10-29-16, 09:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

It's one of the most soulless and derivative car designs on the market...
These cars lack character. Even cheap brands like Ford and Mazda stand out.
LOL

because earlier LS were paragons of soul and character

Old 10-29-16, 09:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe their compact sedan will be the first with some proper styling.
'proper'? who made you the arbiter of what styling is proper?
Old 10-29-16, 09:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL

because earlier LS were paragons of soul and character

Exactly! I've had three, I wouldn't even say my LS460 has "character". It's a great car and I enjoy it, but "character"? No. my GS on the other hand...

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news