Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-16, 03:34 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I wish more companies would do a cream color for luxury cars. I think that looks really good, especially on cars with more roundish shapes. I think some shades of copper can look pretty good too on certain cars. My dad had a copper Honda hatch that looked really nice.
Old 11-08-16, 08:00 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Generally luxury purchases are made by an "older" demographic and that type of consumer has already been there and done it with "wild" colors and making a splash. At this end of the market you're seeing grey hairs who don't really worry about getting attention so all they worry about is how nice it is to sit inside the car and how conservative it looks on the outside so that you don't stand out from the crowd.

If you wouldn't be caught dead wearing that color on your wedding day, or the color of your mansion you live in, you don't want that color on the ultra luxury car you drive.
Old 11-08-16, 08:45 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Generally luxury purchases are made by an "older" demographic and that type of consumer has already been there and done it with "wild" colors and making a splash. At this end of the market you're seeing grey hairs who don't really worry about getting attention so all they worry about is how nice it is to sit inside the car and how conservative it looks on the outside so that you don't stand out from the crowd.

If you wouldn't be caught dead wearing that color on your wedding day, or the color of your mansion you live in, you don't want that color on the ultra luxury car you drive.
I'm not saying they should offer wild/crazy paint colors or over the top options like those Range Rover seats, but I mean come on, tell me these aren't great looking colors . . .

I also really like the "flop" paints, like this old Cadillac I had. Look at it one way its black, sunlight hits it, its a very dark navy blue metallic.

Old 11-09-16, 07:29 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with some of those color choices for lower level cars Aron9000. I like deep blue metallic hues and even deep cherry reds, but certainly not on the top of the class cars. The problem at this top end of the market is that you are already buying a flagship car and that automatically implies: "I'm rich, look at me, but not too long and hard".

If it's a roadster, or S class convertible for Pebble Beach snootiness, that is one thing but day-to-day, nobody goes for anything outside of the usual black, white, grey, slate shades. That's reality. It's kinda like showing up on Wall Street in a big bold neon blue suit. You don't do that. Silicon Valley maybe, but not Wall Street.

Look at the past. Mercedes and BMW cars are always collectible in their usual colors. The Germans know a few things about color choices among the upper crust.

Hyundai and its Genesis division are just following marketing tradition that has been around for decades. You're a fan of Caddy's. Did NY mobsters or Florida types ever go for wild colors?
Old 11-09-16, 11:20 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
I agree with some of those color choices for lower level cars Aron9000. I like deep blue metallic hues and even deep cherry reds, but certainly not on the top of the class cars. The problem at this top end of the market is that you are already buying a flagship car and that automatically implies: "I'm rich, look at me, but not too long and hard".

If it's a roadster, or S class convertible for Pebble Beach snootiness, that is one thing but day-to-day, nobody goes for anything outside of the usual black, white, grey, slate shades. That's reality. It's kinda like showing up on Wall Street in a big bold neon blue suit. You don't do that. Silicon Valley maybe, but not Wall Street.

Look at the past. Mercedes and BMW cars are always collectible in their usual colors. The Germans know a few things about color choices among the upper crust.

Hyundai and its Genesis division are just following marketing tradition that has been around for decades. You're a fan of Caddy's. Did NY mobsters or Florida types ever go for wild colors?
Not that this convo needed to be carried on much longer, but let's not forget your average S-class owner also has something wild in the garage for weekends. They don't need a bright blue S-class if there's a Guards Red or Miami Blue Porsche 911 parked next to it.
Old 11-10-16, 12:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Not that this convo needed to be carried on much longer, but let's not forget your average S-class owner also has something wild in the garage for weekends. They don't need a bright blue S-class if there's a Guards Red or Miami Blue Porsche 911 parked next to it.
very good point.
Old 01-13-17, 09:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Alex on Autos really likes the G90. says it's quieter than an s-class. of course Lexus has now upped the ante with the new LS although that won't be out until the end of the year.

thing that blows me away about the G90 (besides the value and the car itself) is the warranty/service. 10yr powertrain warranty, i think 3 or 4 years of included maintenance. you don't have to set foot in the dealer, they'll bring a loaner TO YOU and meet you after to give you your car back.

Old 01-13-17, 09:51 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll be excited when the flagship stops being a generation behind at debut. It's still quality goods and actually quite an attractive car inside and out imo, if a bit anonymous. This is a car that should've come out around 2013-2014.
Old 01-13-17, 10:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'll be excited when the flagship stops being a generation behind at debut. It's still quality goods and actually quite an attractive car inside and out imo, if a bit anonymous. This is a car that should've come out around 2013-2014.
but look at the rate they're stepping up their game.

looking forward to the first genesis suv.
Old 01-13-17, 10:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Alex on Autos really likes the G90. says it's quieter than an s-class.
I like the way Alex does reviews, too (very thorough...more so, in many cases, than mine). But the few times I've posted them, I've gotten some negative comments from other CL members.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-17 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-13-17, 11:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I like his reviews a whole lot. Not really all that "entertaining" but very informative. Both styles have their place.
Old 01-13-17, 03:05 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I like the way Alex does reviews, too (very thorough...more so in many cases than mine). But the few times I've posted them, I've gotten some negative comments from other members.
I for one always read your reviews and enjoy them as they are geared more towards the 'every man', as Alex's are. They are down to earth and cover what over 90% of most drivers would be interested in- looks, comfort, convenience, etc.
Old 01-13-17, 06:15 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You and Alex both do great, thorough reviews.

Re: the G90, after seeing it at an auto show and watching the video, I will have to say the car is very impressive.
Old 01-13-17, 06:25 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I like the way Alex does reviews, too (very thorough...more so, in many cases, than mine). But the few times I've posted them, I've gotten some negative comments from other CL members.
Can you link your YouTube? I've wanted to watch your reviews for a while but never found your channel
Old 01-13-17, 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Can you link your YouTube? I've wanted to watch your reviews for a while but never found your channel
Thanks, but my reviews are not video. I do them, write them up, and post them here in Car Chat.

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news