Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2017 Cadillac XT5

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 09:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Rather have luxury and comfort than handing. Frustrating thing about the X5 is that it's not even made in Germany. If I am buying a German brand, it better come from Germany and not Carolina
Why? If Coke, Pepsi and other soft drink companies can subcontract out to independent bottling companies to produce their drinks per a specific recipe, and have it taste the same, why can't a car manufacturer replicate what it does from one of its factories to another, where it controls everything?
Old 02-12-18, 09:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Why? If Coke, Pepsi and other soft drink companies can subcontract out to independent bottling companies to produce their drinks per a specific recipe, and have it taste the same, why can't a car manufacturer replicate what it does from one of its factories to another, where it controls everything?
Exactly. I believe BMW uses the Spartanburg, SC plant for most if not all of their CUV and SUV (with the exception of the X1) production for worldwide distribution. So if you live in Germany and want an X3, X5 etc. it came from the U.S.

I can see some people being hesitant, but the times are changing.
Old 02-12-18, 09:43 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Jil drives an American-made Japanese car (Toyota Corolla) so trying to understand her resistance against American-made BMW seems a bit strange.
Old 02-12-18, 10:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Jil drives an American-made Japanese car (Toyota Corolla) so trying to understand her resistance against American-made BMW seems a bit strange.
Sure I do. But if I were to pay a premium for any Toyota or Lexus, I would expect it to come Japan. A Corolla is a cheap car, made for low budgets. Price has to be kept low. An X5 should be coming from Germany. Given the choice, would much rather have my car made in Japan. Too bad the Toyota iM was not available at the time, would of got it as it is still imported from Japan.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-12-18 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-12-18, 10:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Actually. Coke and Pepsi cheaped out. Coke and Pepsi used to use cane sugar and were bottled in glass. The drinks today are not the same as drinks of yesterday. Funny enough, if you go to Mexico or other parts of the world you can still get Coke or Pepsi the original way it was made.
Old 02-12-18, 10:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

In theory, you are correct, but we all have our preferences....for example, when MANN moved filter production from Germany to Mexico, I said no can do. Rational? Maybe not, but preference. I switched to Hengst and Mahle, which are made in Germany and Austria. If the cost of the MANN filter went down by 60%, maybe I would have considered it, but there was no change.

People felt this way when Nissan OE filters went to China, from Japan. For the Lexus and my wife's car I use WIX XP filters, made in USA. I feel comfortable with them. If I saw Mexico, I think I'd still feel ok, since WIX is a USA co.

I like that most of the Lexus parts I have purchased, say made in Japan. Can they make them in China? Mexico? Philippines? To their specs? Sure, but I prefer Japan...

I thought that your question would be tested soon, with the next BMW 3 series. Snap On tools also has tested the waters, by removing U.S.A. from the tools was it in 2015? It was a total disaster...
Old 02-12-18, 10:29 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

That's what InBev thought when they purchased Anheuser Busch. Moving US production of Beck's Beer to St. Louis did not go unnoticed. It tastes nothing like it did before the move. Not even close. It now sells about half of what it did prior to the move. It used to be the number one imported beer in the US!

That said, I don't think moving production of vehicles from one part of the world to the US would be as impactful. It's much easier reproducing something mechanical vs something that is a sensory experience.
Old 02-12-18, 11:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Sure I do. But if I were to pay a premium for any Toyota or Lexus, I would expect it to come Japan. A Corolla is a cheap car, made for low budgets. Price has to be kept low. An X5 should be coming from Germany. Given the choice, would much rather have my car made in Japan. Too bad the Toyota iM was not available at the time, would of got it as it is still imported from Japan.
This idea that Japanese plants can produce the same car better than American plants do is often nonsense. Some of the best Hondas and Toyotas in history have come from the Georgetown, KY and Marysville, OH plants....as good as anything built in Japan.
Old 02-12-18, 11:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Exactly. I believe BMW uses the Spartanburg, SC plant for most if not all of their CUV and SUV (with the exception of the X1) production for worldwide distribution. So if you live in Germany and want an X3, X5 etc. it came from the U.S.

I can see some people being hesitant, but the times are changing.
People better be careful what they wish for on here. Leave it to American executives and they will find anyway to cheapen out a particular brand. Toyota is not immune to to American influence . Someone used Pepsi and Coke, well they are not made the same as they used to be.

Toyota USA vs Toyota Japan, there definitely is a difference. The issue is not in the reliability of the USA product but more in the overall design of the products. Japan designed Toyotas are built at a higher level of design.

Old 02-12-18, 11:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the XT5, hopefully the new buyer of this vehicle will find lots of satisfaction.
Old 02-12-18, 12:36 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This idea that Japanese plants can produce the same car better than American plants do is often nonsense. Some of the best Hondas and Toyotas in history have come from the Georgetown, KY and Marysville, OH plants....as good as anything built in Japan.
I remember as a young man, I heard the 986 Porsche was made primarily in Uusikaupunki, to the tune of 75% meaning 3/4. So that those in the used market would go out of their way to find one produced in Stuttgart, the vast minority. Were they the same quality? I just think when it's one's own hard earned money, one is free to spend it as they choose and have our own preferences. Right now, we have 2 cars made in Japan, one in Oppama, one at Tahara, 1 in Regensburg, and 1 in Michigan. I'm going to say the last of the bunch had some serious problems and was the most expensive vehicle of the 4. It got me to write a letter to Akerson to see what could be done to resolve the problems. He's long gone so I know he could care less, yet his office never had the decency to respond--so I will never purchase a vehicle from that co. again, no matter where it's made.

edit But I'll still look at them online for **** and giggles. And Snap On tools? No USA on the tool, no buy. Period. It really depends on the product we're talking about, as to where I would prefer it's produced.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 02-12-18 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-12-18, 01:56 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Back to the XT5, hopefully the new buyer of this vehicle will find lots of satisfaction.
Thank you! I was hoping this thread could stay on track and comment on the Cadillac XT5, there are plenty of other threads to discuss where you bimmer or Toyota is built.

I only revived this old thread because I did a google search for XT5's and this popped up. So I answered M Marshall's last question.
Old 02-12-18, 01:59 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Good for you and congrats. I do kinda like the XT5. Not so crazy looking. What trim level did you get?
I have the luxury version, which is one step up from the basic model which has nothing. I wanted the blind spot monitor, memory seats and other new electronic goodies.
Old 02-12-18, 02:06 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the reply.....I see you bumped up an old thread.

And congratulations on your lease.

Welcome to the world of cost-cutting....I can assure you the XT5 is not alone in that regard.
Again, welcome to the world of CUE. That's just the way they designed the system, and has been (just like yours) a common source of owner-complaints. Cadillac marketers.....are you listening? In my own opinion, twirl-***** for volume and tuning, not buttons, are actually best. Some recent Cadillacs (and Lincolns) also had a quirky finger-slide control for volume and fan speed that I thought was just awful....similiar complaints from customers forced a redesign of those, too.
Unfortunately my XT5 still has the quirky volume slide control that is hard to avoid when using the touch screen
Old 02-12-18, 03:04 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Congrats! I think the XT5 is a great overall package. All cars have their perks and quirks. You should share some pics.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2017 Cadillac XT5