Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2017 Cadillac XT5

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 07:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
, but like all Cadillacs the details are missing. You'll find a few buttons and switches from the GM parts bin, the cupholder cover (for example) is cheap and flimsy, etc. .
How is it any different that a what Toyota and Lexus do? There are parts inside a Lexus that originated from a Toyota.

Originally Posted by BrownPride
. Read Car & Driver and TTAC's recent reviews where they point out similar shortcomings, including premature sagging of the leather and squeaking seats.
A lot of the professional reviews have pointed out to the XT5 powertrain as a shortcoming. Not enough torque and too much weight to make it work.

I have also seen some of the quality concerns on some of the reviews, but GM is know for making products that cut some corners. I still absolutely love the design language of the new interior. I also like most of the materials. And I love where they put the wood on the steering wheel.

Here are some of the quality concerns from TTACs

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-14-16 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-14-16, 07:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How is it any different that a what Toyota and Lexus do? There are parts inside the a Lexus that originated from a Toyota.
There are (the one big holdover is the cruise control stalks), but the feel is different. Lexus uses different fonts for their markings, they use different materials and shapes/feel to their buttons and controls. I understand what he means, for some reason in a Cadillac those "GM" controls, buttons, typefaces just really stand out.

Even in an Acura where their interiors really feel like Hondas, those similarities don't bug me the same way they do in a Cadillac.
Old 09-14-16, 09:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

When I was shopping recently for a replacement for our Q5 I took a good look at the XT5. I think that it's a nice vehicle but my personal bias (same with the Lincoln MKX) isn't allowing me to buy a Caddy or Lincoln that lists at +$50k. Maybe in the future, but just not there yet. Same with a Genesis, but I'm warming up to them more now than when I replaced our last Lexus. It takes time and patience to change people's perception. . I hope both Caddy and Lincoln do well with their new directions.
Old 09-14-16, 09:42 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

When I drove the XT5 prior to leasing my RX350, I was a little disappointed that even at $60,000 it did not feel "special". It was nice inside, had adequate power, and the ride was OK but nothing outstanding. The MKX, however, was much nicer inside, had a great driver's seat, exceptional performance, and the best ride and noise of anything I drove. The only things that kept me from leasing the MKX was worry about reliability and distrust of the dealer to take care of any issues.

To move up in stature among the luxury competition is going to take exceptional products and time for these qualities to be recognized and accepted.
Steve
Old 09-14-16, 10:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
When I drove the XT5 prior to leasing my RX350, I was a little disappointed that even at $60,000 it did not feel "special". It was nice inside, had adequate power, and the ride was OK but nothing outstanding. The MKX, however, was much nicer inside, had a great driver's seat, exceptional performance, and the best ride and noise of anything I drove. The only things that kept me from leasing the MKX was worry about reliability and distrust of the dealer to take care of any issues.
Yes, reliability is definitely a issue for some people. In fact, that is the way I closed my review.....if it is an issue, the RX is probably the best way to go.
Old 09-14-16, 10:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
When I was shopping recently for a replacement for our Q5 I took a good look at the XT5. I think that it's a nice vehicle but my personal bias (same with the Lincoln MKX) isn't allowing me to buy a Caddy or Lincoln that lists at +$50k. Maybe in the future, but just not there yet. Same with a Genesis, but I'm warming up to them more now than when I replaced our last Lexus. It takes time and patience to change people's perception. . I hope both Caddy and Lincoln do well with their new directions.
Try out a Genesis 5.0L if you get a chance. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 09-14-16, 10:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Why do you keep posting what your next test drive is going to be? I have seen this exact post appear three other times in this thread, its almost like click-bait.
It got deleted a couple of times as I was doing some edits. Had to add it back. But I don't really know if it will be the actual next review or not...that's why I said planned review (I've still got a couple of other requests as well). Sometimes new-car introductions are delayed...as they were for the Lincoln MKC.
Old 09-14-16, 11:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun

To move up in stature among the luxury competition is going to take exceptional products and time for these qualities to be recognized and accepted.
Steve
I preferred the MKX to the XT5 by a good margin,but had the same concerns as you.
Old 09-14-16, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I preferred the MKX to the XT5 by a good margin,but had the same concerns as you.
They're both far better machines, overall, than their predecessors. But one thing that seems much-better designed in the MKX are the large, clear, easy-to-use push-buttons for the transmission, which beat the XT5's electronic joy-stick by a mile.
Old 09-14-16, 12:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But one thing that seems much-better designed in the MKX are the large, clear, easy-to-use push-buttons for the transmission,.
The push button experience by Lincoln maybe easy to use, but it is still super lame.
Old 09-14-16, 01:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The push button transmission seriously would make me hesitant to buy one.
Old 09-14-16, 01:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The push button transmission seriously would make me hesitant to buy one.
Perhaps so. But, try fiddling with the XT5's joystick (or on a BMW), and you just might (?) find the buttons preferable, as I do. I was looking forward to the new LaCrosse, until I found it was going to use the same joystick as the XT5. Even the new CT6 wisely avoided it.

I first learned to drive on a push-button automatic (before learning on a clutch). I'm sure you can remember the push-button TorqueFlite automatic Chrysler products of the early-mid 60s. The Ford Edsels of the late 1950s also used push-buttons for their automatics (mounted in the steering wheel hubs)....but I never had a chance to sample one; they were about a decade before my time.
Old 09-14-16, 01:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The push button experience by Lincoln maybe easy to use, but it is still super lame.
Well, it gets back to what we were discussing earlier about the intended market for these vehicles. The average senior citizen is (probably) going to have some problems adjusting to, or figuring out, the awkward way that the XT5's joystick works. That usually will not be the case with the big, clear, easy-to-use buttons in the Lincolns. But that does not mean that the buttons are always foolproof. On a bumpy road, of course, one's finger could accidentally slip and hit the button above or below it, but most people wouldn't be shifting under those conditions. And, for auto-manual functions, some Lincolns come with the handy (but cheap-looking/feeling and flimsy) flat-black plastic shift-paddles right out of the Ford parts bin. Another problem with the buttons, in their early design, was that the engine start/stop button was right next to the transmission buttons, so that some unattentive drivers were accidentally shutting off the engine when they did not intend to. Ford had to do a recall and re-program the system to prevent that from happening.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-14-16 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-14-16, 04:58 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
also, looks like a bmw shifter!
Caddy is mimicking the BMW style shifter, which, by the way, I really like in my BMW.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 8-speed auto-manual transmission shifts seamlessly, but the electronic shifter-stick on the console, is another example of auto manufacturers trying to fixing something that wasn't broken.
C'mon now. Automakers should only innovate when some system or component is "broken"? That's ridiculous. Yes, it's different. Yes, it may take some people some getting used to (particularly, the prototypical Cadillac customer). But if it's space saving, and better functioning, why should manufacturers just say "Why bother?" As a car guy, I'd think you would have appreciation for that, even if it's not a feature you love.

By the way, people quickly got used to those fancy-shmancy iPhones when they came out in 2007 and there had previously been nothing like them before (just ask Blackberry), so let's have some little bit of faith in our fellow humans, who can learn something new when they want to.

Last edited by tex2670; 09-14-16 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-14-16, 05:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Caddy is mimicking the BMW style shifter, which, by the way, I really like in my BMW.

C'mon now. Automakers should only innovate when some system or component is "broken"? That's ridiculous. Yes, it's different. Yes, it may take some people some getting used to (particularly, the prototypical Cadillac customer). But if it's space saving, and better functioning, why should manufacturers just say "Why bother?" As a car guy, I'd think you would have appreciation for that, even if it's not a feature you love.
I respect the fact that you may like that type of shifter, and have no problems with its use. I don't necessarily agree....and, as far as "saving space"goes, the dash buttons on the Lincolns save a lot more space. I have no problems with the buttons......which shows that I'm not against change when I think it makes sense.

Not all car guys, BTW, think alike. If you believe the images of "car guys" fostered by the auto press, we'd all be driving BMWs or Porsches......or at least those BMWs up to a couple of years ago. But that is clearly not the case.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-14-16 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2017 Cadillac XT5