Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scout gps app on 2017 Toyotas.

Old 09-05-16, 08:22 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Scout gps app on 2017 Toyotas.

bought my wife a 2017 Camry Hybrid XLE this weekend, we traded in her 10 year old Camry Hybrid for it.

Rain (my wife) loves her Camry, this is her 4th one, I was a little surprised to find out that a hardware navigation is not an option for a fully loaded top trim level Camry, instead Toyota has switched to Scout GPS which is a smart phone app that can hand off to the car and display the navigation on the screen.

now for me personally I have no issue with this, I think it is a brilliant idea, the nav maps stay up to date with no expensive disc or chip to buy, you can program in the destination on the phone before leaving and the car grabs it when you get in, the down side is that it uses your data plan, but again not an issue for me as I typically use Waze anyway because the built in navigation on the last 3 car I've had has been horrible.

i wish I could get this in my 2015 RC F.

So so what do you guys think about this? Looks like the all the 2017 Toyotas now use this and the 2017 Lexus RX also got Scout GPS, and I was reading that all 2018 Lexus models will receive this option and a hardware option gps will no longer be offered by 2019.
Old 09-05-16, 08:52 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Good riddance, DVD based navigation is so 2001. We are in the connected age, your car should be downloading software updates automatically via the cellular network without you having to do a thing. Tesla has been on the leading edge of just constantly updating/improving the software in their cars, something the rest of the industry should be taking note of and implementing. We live in the age of instant gratification with smart phones, its nice to FINALLY see some of this tech that has been pretty standard on our phones for the past 4-5 years finally get into our cars.

Old 09-05-16, 09:15 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought scout GPS is a stand alone app for entune plus systems which don't come with navigation. XLE should have entune navigation as part of the premium audio option.
Old 09-06-16, 05:36 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The reality is that Toyota is ignoring the writing on the wall - Make it Apple car play or Android car play. Phone, GPS, Maps, and everything else mirrors from your phone to the large screen.
Old 09-06-16, 06:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
The reality is that Toyota is ignoring the writing on the wall - Make it Apple car play or Android car play. Phone, GPS, Maps, and everything else mirrors from your phone to the large screen.
Yup I agree. I test drove the new Honda Civic Turbo coupe the other day, the product adviser said that they have people buying the car just for those features alone. I tried out the Apple version and it was impressive and makes so much sense.
Old 09-06-16, 07:56 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We just had this thread on the topic: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...nthusiast.html

As I noted there, this is a pretty random/awkward solution (not sure if i'd call it that actually, more of a workaround), when Android Auto/Apple CarPlay are much more seamless and are actually what people are using.
Old 09-06-16, 08:06 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sorptd
I thought scout GPS is a stand alone app for entune plus systems which don't come with navigation. XLE should have entune navigation as part of the premium audio option.
for 2016 that was the case. Apparently for 2017 navigation is no longer available.

Our car car is fully loaded with the higher end audio option and scout it the only nav option.

I was rather surprised and now after playing with the system am a bit disappointed in it. No live maps. No map follow along. Apparently it is directions only.

Works great for my wife she is incredibly non technical and she never used the old gps because it confused her too much. This one she likes because it's just put in the address and follow the directions.

I personally like a follow along map.

Last edited by mjeds; 09-06-16 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-06-16, 10:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Good riddance, DVD based navigation is so 2001. We are in the connected age, your car should be downloading software updates automatically via the cellular network without you having to do a thing. Tesla has been on the leading edge of just constantly updating/improving the software in their cars, something the rest of the industry should be taking note of and implementing. We live in the age of instant gratification with smart phones, its nice to FINALLY see some of this tech that has been pretty standard on our phones for the past 4-5 years finally get into our cars.
Pretty sure 2009 Gen5 was the last DVD. They ran maps on USB from 2010-2013 Gen6 and 7, and most recently Gen8 and 9 the maps are on a micro SD.
Old 09-06-16, 12:43 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
for 2016 that was the case. Apparently for 2017 navigation is no longer available.

Our car car is fully loaded with the higher end audio option and scout it the only nav option.

I was rather surprised and now after playing with the system am a bit disappointed in it. No live maps. No map follow along. Apparently it is directions only.

Works great for my wife she is incredibly non technical and she never used the old gps because it confused her too much. This one she likes because it's just put in the address and follow the directions.

I personally like a follow along map.
That is surprising since the higher end audio option (i.e. JBL) has integrated Navigation. I have it on my 2014.5 Camry. Even on Toyota's website 2017 still offers integrated navigation with premium audio. Do you have other apps like Pandora, Open table, Yelp etc that come with the Entune app suite?
Old 09-06-16, 01:01 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sorptd
That is surprising since the higher end audio option (i.e. JBL) has integrated Navigation. I have it on my 2014.5 Camry. Even on Toyota's website 2017 still offers integrated navigation with premium audio. Do you have other apps like Pandora, Open table, Yelp etc that come with the Entune app suite?
yes I just set them up last night.. entune is there, the sticker shows Technology package, Entune Premium JBL Audio with integrated Navigation and App suite, Both the dealer and Toyota care (I called and asked) stated that the Navigation is provided via the Scout GPS app. there is no GPS hardware in the vehicle, no disc, no chip, nothing. It is only provided via the app.
Old 09-06-16, 02:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Pretty sure 2009 Gen5 was the last DVD. They ran maps on USB from 2010-2013 Gen6 and 7, and most recently Gen8 and 9 the maps are on a micro SD.
Its still the same thing, just a different memory format. Its not going to update itself and the dealer still charges you for the updates, which is stupid considering how much better google maps or waze on your phone works.

And Toyota not offering Apple/Android Car Play is a result of very very very conservative and risk averse management that has been running Toyota for the past 15 years or so. Let others innovate, see if the idea takes off or flops, then implement it into the Toyota is how I look at their philosophy. About the only thing on the tech front Toyota has really innovated/led the industry in has been hybrid cars.
Old 09-06-16, 04:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Its still the same thing, just a different memory format. Its not going to update itself and the dealer still charges you for the updates, which is stupid considering how much better google maps or waze on your phone works.

And Toyota not offering Apple/Android Car Play is a result of very very very conservative and risk averse management that has been running Toyota for the past 15 years or so. Let others innovate, see if the idea takes off or flops, then implement it into the Toyota is how I look at their philosophy. About the only thing on the tech front Toyota has really innovated/led the industry in has been hybrid cars.
You're correct, everything should be up to the minute updated
Old 09-06-16, 07:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

And Toyota not offering Apple/Android Car Play is a result of very very very conservative and risk averse management that has been running Toyota for the past 15 years or so.
it's probably also because they don't want to pay apple/google any licensing fees too. (NIH)
Old 09-06-16, 08:17 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's probably also because they don't want to pay apple/google any licensing fees too. (NIH)
Eh, just jack the base price of the car up $50 or $100 or whatever it costs, nobody will notice.
Old 09-06-16, 09:33 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are two options for Toyota navigation now (they finally got rid of the Garmin-looking Display Audio System).

Connected Navigation (Which is ScoutGPS) and Integrated Navigation (which is the Toyota system we've always known but it's run off a flash-based drive inside).

For the Camry Hybrid XLE, Connected Navigation is standard while Integrated Navigation is optional. Both units have JBL Audio.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scout gps app on 2017 Toyotas.