Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Static-Review: 2017 Lincoln MKZ Facelift

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-16, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Static-Review: 2017 Lincoln MKZ Facelift

A static review/inspection of the 2017 Lincoln MKZ mid-generation face-lift.

http://www.lincoln.com/cars/mkz/

IN A NUTSHELL: A massive improvement over the former interior and front end, but avoid the big-money Reserve/ Black Label models.

Those of you who follow my posts and reviews know that while I generally liked the first generation Lincoln Zephyr (remained to MKZ) entry-luxury mid-size sedan, I was not a fan at all of the follow-up, second-generation design, with its overly wing-shaped grille, bulbous-looking and too-raked rear-quarter /C-pillar areas, mediocre road manners/driving-experience for an upmarket sedan of this class, and (IMO) awkward, poorly-designed finger-slide sensors for several climate control and stereo features. In fact (and I've posted and commented on this in threads more than once), I thought the less-expensive Ford Fusion, done on the same platform, was better looking, more comfortable, and better-driving overall. The second-generation MKZ was only one of several classic examples of why Lincoln was getting plastered in the sales department by several of its competitors....not to mention the fact that Lincolns, in most cases, are sold and serviced out of existing Ford shops. Lincoln did not keep most of its old chain of dealerships from the Lincoln/Mercury days...after the Mercury division folded, they were sold off to cut costs, and Lincoln sales and service facilities moved into select Ford dealerships across the country. I say select, because not all Ford shops handle Lincoln facilities...only certain ones. (Where I live in the Northern Virginia D.C. suburbs, for instance, in one of the nation's most lucrative new-car markets, there are only two active Lincoln shops within 20 miles or so, vs. a dozen or so Ford shops).

The old, quirky, second-generation MKZ, though, is now history. For 2017, the MKZ gets a mid-generation (badly-needed, IMO), facelift/mild redesign, consisting of an all-new front end/grille/headlights, a reworked dash/console, and much better quality interior trim/hardware (with one exception, which I'll get to later). One big change is under the hood.....the old optional 3.7L V6 gets replaced by a wild 3.0 twin-turbo V6 with 400 HP and 400 ft-lbs. of torque, which is probably way more power than this car actually needs, but will satisfy lead-foots. The new, transversely-mounted, 3.0 TT engine fits underhood very tightly, but at least the battery and some other components are uncovered and easily accessible. Lincoln doesn't use the name "Ecoboost" for its turbo engines, like Ford does for equivalent powerplants, because the marketers don't feel that the "Eco" term is synonomous with premium or upmarket vehicles...it's an image thing.

Since a tropical storm, currently, over Florida and the southeast coast, may threaten us here in the D.C. area this weekend (though more likely areas closer to the coast), and my knee (Praise God) has reached the point now where I don't need the cane and/or brace at all any more, except for the most difficult motions, I decided to check out the new MKZ facelift today, in nice weather, before any rain and wind came. Lincoln had one at the D.C. auto show in January, but it was clearly eclipsed by the all-new Continental up on the turntable, Lincoln didn't bother to unlock it....even by specific request, and the darkly-tinted windows did not allow you to clearly see the new reworked interior inside. So, for the most part, it just sat there, while everyone else gawked at the Continental.

As the basic platform of the second-generation MKZ has not changed much with the new facelift this year (a complete redesign will come in a few more years), I decided not to do a formal test-drive, even though the prospect of 400 ft-lbs. of torque in a car that size, with the new optional engine, was clearly a temptation. However, that engine will also be available in the new upcoming Continental sedan debuting next month, and I plan to do a full-review of the new Continental, not just a static-review or inspection. I may (?) sample the 3.0 TT in a Continental, which IMO is probably more fitting for that powerplant. Besides, I may be wrong, but I don't think that engine is going to be a big seller in this year's MKZ, as most buyers of this vehicle aren't looking for a ton of power.

But, in most cases, they ARE looking for a nice interior and overall good looks, and, IMO, this is where the new 2017 MKZ, a least up front, absolutely smokes last last year's model. Gone are the wing-shaped grille and headlights that were shared by some other Lincoln models, and in its place is what is essentially a downsized version of the new Continental's front end. It makes an enormous difference up front, and IMO transforms what was an awkward look into a truly handsome appearance (Styling, of course, is subjective, but I notice, from some other reviewers, that my comments on that aren't alone). Word from Lincoln is that we are likely to see this type of design on more new Lincoln products down the road. Complimenting that once new front end are 10 relatively nice (and well-applied) paint colors, including Palladium White-Gold and Jade Green metallic (I'd probably choose one of those two). Unfortunately, the rear end and C-Pillar styling, which I didn't think was that well-done, remains....Lincoln didn't have the time or funds to tackle that right now, and we'll see it on the next redesign.

The new interior is also a vast improvement on the old one....perhaps even more so than the exterior. Gone are the awkward finger-slide controls on the console (which were a pain in the *** on a bumpy road)......replaced by nice round, traditional, easy-to-use, solidly-attached rotary-***** for stereo volume and tuning. Other functions are now controlled by video-*****, buttons, and switches instead of finger-slide controls. All of the interior hardware (now) seems good, with one exception....the cheap matte-black plastic shift-paddles on the steering column, which are right out of the Ford parts-bin. I don't know why Ford keeps on using them on Lincolns when they are found on Focus and Fiesta econoboxes. But they seems to be the only really cheap parts inside......almost everything else seems solid, well-attached, and pleasant to touch and use, although the small flip-open compartment covers on the console, like those on even other luxury-class vehicles, are a little thin and lightweight. The metallic covers for the speakers, as on other new Lincolns, feel solid as a rock, and have nicely-finished surfaces. The wood-tone trim on the dash and door-panels is not the most convincing-looking I've seen, but feels durable, solid, and well-attached (some upper-level Reserve models have carbon-fiber trim inside, instead of wood). The thick doors shut with a reasonably solid thunk, but the latches and alignment don't feel quite as precise as on the thinner-doored Lexus ES350 competition. The front seats are reasonably well-shaped and comfortably-padded, although, if you are big and burly like me, my recommendation is to avoid the black-and-white seats in the Reserve model. They are relatively narrow, confining for large rumps/wide torsos, and have a sharp, uncomfortable hard cord running along the inner edge of the side-bolsters and upper seat backs. Those seats would be a deal-breaker for me, and, like those in the Buick Envision that I recently looked at, the leather gave off a rather odd smell....not the usual expected for leather in a new vehicle. Also, the Reserve and Black Label models were quite pricey....a couple of them I looked at listed for over 60K (base-level MKZs start in the mid-to-high 30s). They were not, IMO, worth what they cost, even though Lincoln's Black Label does include added customer perks that are not available on lower-line ones. And the lower-line ones, IMO, not only have more comfortable seats for big people like me, but are also much less expensive to boot. The handy, Lincoln-exclusive, push-button transmission shifting remains on the dash.....handy for opening up more room on the console without the frustrations of trying to use some electronic stick-shifters or column-stubs. The old early-60s Chrysler products I learned to drive on had similar push-buttons for the Torquefilte automatic transmission...but they were heavy, electro-mechanical buttons and took a lot more effort to push. The new Lincoln buttons operate with just a very light tap.

So, overall, I have a lot of praise for both the new MKZ's front end and new interior, and think it will definitely help the car's image and give it a badly-needed boost. But it will also, of course, likely share the unimpressive road manners of the pre-facelift model, and, starting next month, it will be overshadowed by the larger, Big-Brother, all-new Continental flagship.

And, as always, Happy Car Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-02-16 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-02-16, 03:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Old 09-02-16, 04:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, Hoovey.....I got that earlier image-problem fixed.
Old 09-02-16, 05:40 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Hoovey.....I got that earlier image-problem fixed.
No problem.

---

MKZ looks better inside and out than the outgoing model. Better differentiation vs the Fusion. It's nice to see 4 different powertrain options, a 2.0T at 245hp, a hybrid 2.0 NA at 188 total system hp, and two 3.0TT V6's rated at 350 hp (FWD) and 400 hp (AWD) respectively.

The C-Pillar bothers me a bit. I think they could have done better. The front is very handsome though IMO.
Old 09-02-16, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
No problem.

---
You seem to be a Ford fan. What do you think of the MKZ's mild redesign/facelift this year? You haven't said.
Old 09-02-16, 06:14 PM
Hoovey689

You seem to be a Ford fan. What do you think of the MKZ's mild redesign/facelift this year? You haven't said.
You cut out my quote about the car after 'no problem'

I praised it for having 3 different powertrains and 4 different power levels. I'd have like to have seen Lincoln put a transmission with more than six gears in the car. I don't think Ford has a 7, 8, or 9 Speed to choose from though, and the upcoming 10-Speed is slated for the F-Series first. For what it's worth the ES350 still uses a 6AT though to. The exterior is very handsome especially the front. I like the new design language of the MKZ and Continental, and hope it translates to future models in the Lincoln stable. The C-Pillar bothers me though, looks awkward with the small window and where the belt crease meets the trunk. I'm sure this will be corrected when a full redesign comes to fruition. It's similar on the Continental but somewhat smoothed out. As for the interior, it still has some cheap bits as you mentioned, but is still light years ahead of the outgoing model.

I have to wonder if and when the MKZ will get a name change. Possibly back to Zephyr like the 2006 model. The name also pays homage to the Lincoln Zephyr line of lower priced midsize luxury cars from the 1936 to 1940, which is exactly what the current MKZ competes in. The Continetntal is coming back. The Navigator is staying put, and rumors say we'll see a seven seat Aviator return (probably to replace the MKT) around 2019.
Old 09-02-16, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You cut out my quote about the car after 'no problem'
Sorry about that, friend. Wrestling with that image-posting problem, I guess, got me a little irked, and I just simply overlooked it.

I praised it for having 3 different powertrains and 4 different power levels. I'd have like to have seen Lincoln put a transmission with more than six gears in the car. I don't think Ford has a 7, 8, or 9 Speed to choose from though, and the upcoming 10-Speed is slated for the F-Series first. For what it's worth the ES350 still uses a 6AT though to. The exterior is very handsome especially the front. I like the new design language of the MKZ and Continental, and hope it translates to future models in the Lincoln stable. The C-Pillar bothers me though, looks awkward with the small window and where the belt crease meets the trunk. I'm sure this will be corrected when a full redesign comes to fruition. It's similar on the Continental but somewhat smoothed out. As for the interior, it still has some cheap bits as you mentioned, but is still light years ahead of the outgoing model.

I have to wonder if and when the MKZ will get a name change. Possibly back to Zephyr like the 2006 model. The name also pays homage to the Lincoln Zephyr line of lower priced midsize luxury cars from the 1936 to 1940, which is exactly what the current MKZ competes in. The Continetntal is coming back. The Navigator is staying put, and rumors say we'll see a seven seat Aviator return (probably to replace the MKT) around 2019.
Good points. I agree with you on most of them. Personally, I thought the MKT was a laughingstock...the new Aviator can't come a moment too soon, though it's likely to be somewhat smaller. The MKZ's C-pillars, though not really that thick in themselves, make the rear end look somewhat too raked and awkward.....though it was probably more important to redo the old front end's even more awkward look. Also agree that some name changes are needed.....one of the things (among several) hampering Lincoln sales is the alphabet-soup naming system that confuses people. On the different power levels, I agree a little variety doesn't hurt, but I just wonder if this car really needs 400 HP? I doubt if the new 3.0TT gets a lot of buyers with the MKZ......it will probably be more popular on the Continental.
Old 09-02-16, 08:06 PM
Hoovey689

Good points. I agree with you on most of them. Personally, I thought the MKT was a laughingstock...the new Aviator can't come a moment too soon, though it's likely to be somewhat smaller. The MKZ's C-pillars, though not really that thick in themselves, make the rear end look somewhat too raked and awkward.....though it was probably more important to redo the old front end's even more awkward look. Also agree that some name changes are needed.....one of the things (among several) hampering Lincoln sales is the alphabet-soup naming system that confuses people. On the different power levels, I agree a little variety doesn't hurt, but I just wonder if this car really needs 400 HP? I doubt if the new 3.0TT gets a lot of buyers with the MKZ......it will probably be more popular on the Continental.
Yeah it would likely be based on the Explorer again like the 2003-2005 was. Coincides with the next generation Explorer release.

Definitely important to redo the front. While the latest MKC and MKX have a pleasant exterior and snoz, the sedans were lacking.

Does anyone really need 400 hp in day to day driving? Naw, but this one has AWD to put the power down and is found on the highest level trim. It may not be a big seller but it does show that Lincoln is serious, and helps elevate the Marques image. By 2021 I'd wager Lincoln has a revamped stable of very competitive vehicles (even if sales don't reflect it), new nomenclature, and a RWD coupe.
Old 09-02-16, 08:07 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree about that awkward C-pillar; I believe it was a compromise styling design to allow for that retracting roof (which looks like a similar engineering design to what was known as the Totonto SkyDome -- did Ford have to pay licencing fees?). Is that opening roof option still available?
Old 09-02-16, 09:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I always liked the exterior design of the MKZ when it debuted, I thought it had a definite, unique luxury car look. But, once seated inside, I was always amazed at how poor the interior was. The execution was not very good, neither where the materials. The stupid PRDNL buttons took up too much space. It felt like you were piloting a space ship.

Now with the new front end and the black label interior with revel audio, I think Lincoln is on to something. 400hp doesn't sound bad and neither does AWD. I just built a loaded Black Label with Vineyard theme and as many options as I could find, I got up to $61K which is just insane. But one will likely be able to get it down to $50K once employee pricing is offered.

The best direct competitor to the MKZ is the Lexus ES350 which still has more brand cache, a more sophisticated interior, better reliably, resale value...I would be scared to find out what the repair costs are on a 400hp turbo MKZ once the car is out of warranty.
Old 09-03-16, 06:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I always liked the exterior design of the MKZ when it debuted, I thought it had a definite, unique luxury car look. But, once seated inside, I was always amazed at how poor the interior was. The execution was not very good, neither where the materials. The stupid PRDNL buttons took up too much space. It felt like you were piloting a space ship.
The controls, buttons, and switches are much better executed with this mid-generation facelift. Material trim quality also has been noticeably improved...it basically uses the same type of materials inside as the new MDX. On the shift buttons.......they are (probably) large for two reasons. First, the average buyer-age of this car is probably going to be old enough that they will need rather large lettering and buttons to easily read. Second, on bumpy roads or surfaces where the car might rock a little, having large buttons like that deceases the chances that your finger would slip and accidentally hit the wrong button, next to it....though nowadays the engine/transmssion computers are programmed not to allow shifts that would damage the powertrain. And the dash-buttons DO free up space on the console, just like getting rid of the old pull-up parking-brake handles. The one remaining problem on the interior hardware is the cheap-looking, flat-black plastic set of shift-paddles that are right out of the Ford econobox parts-bin...but that is purely a cosmetic issue; they work perfectly well.

Now with the new front end and the black label interior with revel audio, I think Lincoln is on to something. 400hp doesn't sound bad and neither does AWD. I just built a loaded Black Label with Vineyard theme and as many options as I could find, I got up to $61K which is just insane. But one will likely be able to get it down to $50K once employee pricing is offered.
Yeah, I looked at a 61K Reserve model (among others) yesterday. I agree....an insane price for a car in that class. That price was slightly more than the loaded, top-line 60K MDX I tested last year........remember how you commented several times about THAT price, on a much larger AWD vehicle? Anyhow, the Reserve model I looked at also was one with those custom two-tone seats and those uncomfortable bolsters and long cords....so, in addition to a lot more money, for people my size at least, there's a lot less seating comfort. The seats in the base models were far more comfortable for large frames and torsos.

The Black Label models,of course, also include a number of customer perks that regular models don't......but still are probably not worth what they cost.

The best direct competitor to the MKZ is the Lexus ES350 which still has more brand cache, a more sophisticated interior, better reliably, resale value...
The ES350 is indeed a good competitor (and is likely to be more reliable in the long run). But, the MKZ's 2017 refresh brought new interior materials that IMO are now better than their Lexus competition....though I'll admit the ES350 still has a beautifully-done polished-wood steering wheel that the MKZ can't match.

I would be scared to find out what the repair costs are on a 400hp turbo MKZ once the car is out of warranty.
Standard warranties for American and Japanese-badged vehicles in this class are typically 6/70 on the drivetrain and 4/50 bumper-to-bumper. Lincoln, Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, Buick, and Acura all use a warranty of this length. The Germans aren't quite so generous......usually 4/50 bumper-to-bumper and drivetrain (one reason, among several, why their cars can become money-pits). The Koreans, of course, give you 10/100 on the drivetrain...but it is not transferable to a second owner outside of the immediate family.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-03-16 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-03-16, 07:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

front now looks like a cross between an A6, a Sonata, and a Jag XF. still, overall it looks good, and with the AWD/400hp-TT combo, it oughta fly.

Old 09-03-16, 08:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
front now looks like a cross between an A6, a Sonata, and a Jag XF. still, overall it looks good, and with the AWD/400hp-TT combo, it oughta fly.
Yeah, there does seem to be some Jag influence with the grille. Perhaps some of Ford's current stylists were around before the company sold Jaguar off to Tata.
Old 09-03-16, 08:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Yeah, I looked at a 61K Reserve model (among others) yesterday. I agree....an insane price for a car in that class.
I just built a loaded Black Label with Vineyard theme and as many options as I could find, I got up to $61K which is just insane.
not insane at all for all the goodies. more later...

The best direct competitor to the MKZ is the Lexus ES350 which still has more brand cache, a more sophisticated interior, better reliably, resale value...I would be scared to find out what the repair costs are on a 400hp turbo MKZ once the car is out of warranty.
disagree on all points. the ES is successful because it's very low key - doesn't say look at me, but it's very refined, comfortable, and as you say, rock solid reliable. but it does not to me have a 'more sophisticated interior' - a lot of the plastic is rock hard.
the ES can't be had in AWD in the u.s. at least, and while still a nice vehicle, it's now pretty old.

back to the price and lexus competitor, even the GS can't be had with a 400HP AWD setup (the rwd GSF is $85k+ i believe), but i'd say a closer competitor is the GS AWD - if you configure a non-fsport GS AWD with all the goodies you end up at, guess what, $61K, but for a car with 100 less HP.
Old 09-03-16, 08:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
disagree on all points. the ES is successful because it's very low key - doesn't say look at me, but it's very refined, comfortable, and as you say, rock solid reliable. but it does not to me have a 'more sophisticated interior' - a lot of the plastic is rock hard.
the ES can't be had in AWD in the u.s. at least, and while still a nice vehicle, it's now pretty old.

back to the price and lexus competitor, even the GS can't be had with a 400HP AWD setup (the rwd GSF is $85k+ i believe), but i'd say a closer competitor is the GS AWD - if you configure a non-fsport GS AWD with all the goodies you end up at, guess what, $61K, but for a car with 100 less HP.
I see what you are trying to say about the GS, but I am not convinced.

The ES350 starts at $38K, the MKZ starts at $35K, both are FWD, both are based off a Fusion or Avalon, both are now made in America. The GS starts at $45K.

Quick Reply: MM Static-Review: 2017 Lincoln MKZ Facelift