Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 7 Best Lexus Engines of All Time

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-17, 02:30 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by curated content editor
2uz-fe 4.7
Old 04-29-17, 10:09 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
This did make me wonder what was NOT on the list. Correct me if I missed anything, as the list is longer than I thought:

2VZ-FE - ES250
3VZ-FE - ES300
1MZ-FE - ES300, RX300
3MZ-FE - RX400h
2UZ-FE - GX470, LX470
1UR-FE - GX460
1FZ-FE - LX450
3UR-FE - LX470
2GR-FKS - GS350, RX350
2GR-FXE - RX450h, GS450h
3UZ-FE - LS430
1UR-FSE - LS460
2UR-FSE - LS600h
4GR-FSE - IS250
2ZR-FXE - CT200h
2AZ-FXE - HS250h

Did I miss any?
The list should start with 1UZ-FE, first Lexus car was 1990 LS400.

Last edited by valex; 04-29-17 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-29-17, 11:35 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd have to say there are two Lexus engines that left big marks on my memory.

The first was the ES300 motor. My friend had an early ES250 which he installed an ES300 motor in and it was the most smooth, quiet engine I've ever experienced. He drove like a drunk comedian, and floored it every moment possible. It never sounded strained, even at redline. Same smoothness, quietness, and zero vibrations as if at idle. I never could understand how such a thing was even possible. This was the type of motor you'd have to look at the tach to see what was happening. Going by sound or feeling meant nothing.

The second Lexus engine memory was when I had an IS-F at the track for an afternoon. It was a WILD beast, with the same sounds as a modern Corvette. Normally I'd find something like that totally obnoxious. But somehow, Lexus found a way to make it sound sophisticated and intoxicating at the same time. I will never forget that day at the track in that car. It just begged you to be a bad person- and I have spent most of my adult life promoting safe and efficient driving. I'm not much into the car collecting thing at this stage in my life, but that car would be the first on my list if I were.
Old 05-01-17, 10:42 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'd have to say there are two Lexus engines that left big marks on my memory.

The first was the ES300 motor. My friend had an early ES250 which he installed an ES300 motor in and it was the most smooth, quiet engine I've ever experienced. He drove like a drunk comedian, and floored it every moment possible. It never sounded strained, even at redline. Same smoothness, quietness, and zero vibrations as if at idle. I never could understand how such a thing was even possible. This was the type of motor you'd have to look at the tach to see what was happening. Going by sound or feeling meant nothing.

The second Lexus engine memory was when I had an IS-F at the track for an afternoon. It was a WILD beast, with the same sounds as a modern Corvette. Normally I'd find something like that totally obnoxious. But somehow, Lexus found a way to make it sound sophisticated and intoxicating at the same time. I will never forget that day at the track in that car. It just begged you to be a bad person- and I have spent most of my adult life promoting safe and efficient driving. I'm not much into the car collecting thing at this stage in my life, but that car would be the first on my list if I were.
my sister currently has (and i've been driving it since she's up at school and i broke my crown vic transmission) my dad's old 2004 Camry SE V6 with the 3.3 liter and it's ridiculously quiet and smooth. it also has LOADS of torque and the car will literally spin it's wheels in 2nd in the DRY depending on how you come out of a corner. it's still no 1UZ but it definitely feels torquier than the new (basically 10 years old but still awesome) 3.5 V6 although the top end pull on the 3.5 is wayyyyy beyond the 3.3 liter. my LS dusts our camry, but a camry with the 3.5 is actually faster than the LS, rather annoyingly lol... nowhere near as much torque as the V8 but it's actually a bit faster if you rev it all the way out. in a 2013 camry V6 i've gotten 0-60 in 5.7 seconds!! not too shabby in my book
Old 05-01-17, 10:51 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
my sister currently has (and i've been driving it since she's up at school and i broke my crown vic transmission) my dad's old 2004 Camry SE V6 with the 3.3 liter and it's ridiculously quiet and smooth. it also has LOADS of torque and the car will literally spin it's wheels in 2nd in the DRY depending on how you come out of a corner. it's still no 1UZ but it definitely feels torquier than the new (basically 10 years old but still awesome) 3.5 V6 although the top end pull on the 3.5 is wayyyyy beyond the 3.3 liter. my LS dusts our camry, but a camry with the 3.5 is actually faster than the LS, rather annoyingly lol... nowhere near as much torque as the V8 but it's actually a bit faster if you rev it all the way out. in a 2013 camry V6 i've gotten 0-60 in 5.7 seconds!! not too shabby in my book
I always had a soft spot for the very short-lived ES330. I totally forgot the Camry got a 3.3. Was it the same one as in the Lexus ES? I do believe it's probably one of the smoother motors out there. There's a strange attraction I've always had to stealthy, smooth engines that don't announce rapid acceleration. Surprises and delights the passengers while making you look smart and sneaky at the same time.
Old 05-02-17, 05:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Was Lexus the first to completely shroud their motors in plastic? Long before I even bought a new car, I remember going to an auto show, and opening the hood of a LS (no clue what year), and thinking, not much is visible, it's all covered, interesting. Even today, BMW and Audi have plastic covers, but much of the motor is still exposed....

Since I bought my car used, and the selling dealer armor all'd and cleaned the motor, I keep it that way. I don't even think I could get my BMW that clean, prolly impossible (meaning by hand)....
Old 05-02-17, 07:54 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by valex
The list should start with 1UZ-FE, first Lexus car was 1990 LS400.
My list was a list of all the Lexus engines that were NOT included in the linked "best engines" article. The 1UZ-FE is on the list in the article.

Last edited by JDR76; 05-02-17 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-02-17, 11:00 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I always had a soft spot for the very short-lived ES330. I totally forgot the Camry got a 3.3. Was it the same one as in the Lexus ES? I do believe it's probably one of the smoother motors out there. There's a strange attraction I've always had to stealthy, smooth engines that don't announce rapid acceleration. Surprises and delights the passengers while making you look smart and sneaky at the same time.
yes is it the same one, the 3MZ

they used it in a couple of other things too, definitely a low key sleeper of an engine. the transmission in that camry though has nothing "SE" about it, it's so laggy and sluggish shifting lol... in a way sort of gives the car character once you learn how to better modulate the pedal, you can start to predict how it'll act after awhile and it becomes pretty fun to drive. only problem with it is that the 4 cylinder camry will be ruined for you lol, but yea many at the dealership also didn't realize it has a 3.3 liter. back then the SE V6 had a bigger engine than the XLE V6, which they don't do anymore. nowadays i'd just get the XLE since it's nicer inside but if the XSE was actually faster that'd be a significant selling point
Old 05-03-17, 04:07 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
My mom has a 2012 Camry SE, V6 Sport Package, every single damn option, 18" wheels with low profile tires, holy **** is that car fast. Stupid fast, yet torque steer is not a major concern when you mash the pedal, nor is excessive wheel-spin(my buddy's old Grand Prix GTP with the supercharged 3.8 was the king of low end torque and front tire smoke if you were abusive with the right foot, but it never torque steered either, maybe the bigger/wider/lower profile tires on the newer Camry helped the traction situation). Main thing with this engine/trans combo, it feels pretty strong in the low RPMS, but man if you floor it, it straight up screams and pulls hard to at least 120mph(don't tell mom lol). Handling is great too, it doesn't lean over in the corners like past Camrys. Steering is a bit numb though, its hard to tell what's going on in the road below you. Still its very precise and direct, short of some vintage 90's Hondas, its one of the better handling FWD cars out there.

Still though, I prefer my RWD SC300/5 speed over that 2012 Camry V6 SE as a driver's car. Yes its slower, but damn there is something about flooring your car, banging gears, and not grossly exceeding the speed limit. Also the 2JZ -GE inline six just absolutely sings when you rev the **** out of it, the Camry's 2GR-FE V6 stock sound, when you rev it up, just flat out sucks. Sounds like a damn vacume cleaner, I can't think of a more horrid engine note. Yes the Camry is fast, and it handles well, but it just lacks soul, the dead feeling steering, the awful souding V6, if Toyota had just spent a bit of time in R&D getting those things right, man I'd be driving a 2012 Camry V6 SE. Its like the got the suspension right, power right, but totally forgot about the driver feedback and the sound coming from the engine.

Last edited by Aron9000; 05-03-17 at 04:19 AM.
Old 05-05-17, 11:50 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
My mom has a 2012 Camry SE, V6 Sport Package, every single damn option, 18" wheels with low profile tires, holy **** is that car fast. Stupid fast, yet torque steer is not a major concern when you mash the pedal, nor is excessive wheel-spin(my buddy's old Grand Prix GTP with the supercharged 3.8 was the king of low end torque and front tire smoke if you were abusive with the right foot, but it never torque steered either, maybe the bigger/wider/lower profile tires on the newer Camry helped the traction situation). Main thing with this engine/trans combo, it feels pretty strong in the low RPMS, but man if you floor it, it straight up screams and pulls hard to at least 120mph(don't tell mom lol). Handling is great too, it doesn't lean over in the corners like past Camrys. Steering is a bit numb though, its hard to tell what's going on in the road below you. Still its very precise and direct, short of some vintage 90's Hondas, its one of the better handling FWD cars out there.

Still though, I prefer my RWD SC300/5 speed over that 2012 Camry V6 SE as a driver's car. Yes its slower, but damn there is something about flooring your car, banging gears, and not grossly exceeding the speed limit. Also the 2JZ -GE inline six just absolutely sings when you rev the **** out of it, the Camry's 2GR-FE V6 stock sound, when you rev it up, just flat out sucks. Sounds like a damn vacume cleaner, I can't think of a more horrid engine note. Yes the Camry is fast, and it handles well, but it just lacks soul, the dead feeling steering, the awful souding V6, if Toyota had just spent a bit of time in R&D getting those things right, man I'd be driving a 2012 Camry V6 SE. Its like the got the suspension right, power right, but totally forgot about the driver feedback and the sound coming from the engine.
yea the sound isn't all too exciting lol, in terms of a V6 i'd have to say the honda/acura V6 is the best sounding one out there... especially once the VTEC kicks in yo. i'd have to assume the toyota V6 being so quiet is a result of the efficiency and very low internal friction. example, the V8 in my lexus is very quiet and gets great mpgs whereas the V8 in the crown vic is so goddamn loud and gets terrible efficiency lol
Old 05-06-17, 02:58 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm down with 1UZ & 3UZ for Life!!
Old 05-06-17, 06:00 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I'm down with 1UZ & 3UZ for Life!!
Add me to that list. I'll also include the 4.7 2UZ which is a beast of a motor that came on the LX and Land Cruiser. Sounds incredible at full throttle.
Old 05-06-17, 06:23 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Pretty broad window. If its truly the 7 best piston engines, there is nothing from Lexus that fits. If its the 7 best in automotive world then maybe there is a place for it, I'd have to run the list.
Old 05-06-17, 06:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't know the engine codes but the current 3.5, 4.6, 5.0 and 5.7 are far superior than the engines that proceeded them in their perspective models. From a hp, fuel efficiency, and a maintenance perspective there is no question.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-06-17 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-06-17, 08:11 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Add me to that list. I'll also include the 4.7 2UZ which is a beast of a motor that came on the LX and Land Cruiser. Sounds incredible at full throttle.
I had a 4runner with 4.7 V8.. wow Thats one torquey motor!