Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Lambo to feature Carbon Fiber Engine Parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-16, 01:50 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Next Lambo to feature Carbon Fiber Engine Parts

Carbon fiber body panels, seats, wings and even wheels are not unheard of, but now Lamborghini wants to use the lightweight material to make internal engine components.

Speaking with Automotive News, Lambo CEO Maurizio Reggiani admitted that the Italian supercar maker is developing carbon fiber connecting rods for the next-generation Aventador. “I [hope] that in one, one-and-a-half years, we are able to finish development and say this can be a part that can be in the future in the engine,” said Reggiani. “I hope that we are able to have something in production soon.” Carbon fiber is certainly not foreign to Lamborghini, which has built the body of cars like the Centenario (picture above) nearly entirely from the material.

These new lightweight connecting rods are 40 to 50 percent lighter than the current steel units, allowing the engine to get more of its power down to the wheels improving acceleration. The successor to the Aventador is expected to arrive in 2020 as a 2021 model.

Lamborghini’s new Advanced Composite Structures Laboratory located in Seattle, Wash. will produce the new parts using forged composite, a method that is much faster than traditional carbon fiber forming. Rather than laying the cabon-fiber cloth in a mold and baking it or injecting resin into the mold at high pressure, Lambo’s method takes premixed carbon fibers and resin and presses it into a mold with massive force and heat, needing only three minutes to prepare a piece for finishing, compared to the hours the other methods take.

Seattle was chosen the facility as Lambo has a partnership with Boeing, working towards carbon fiber innovations that benefit both automatic and aerospace.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ting-rods.html
Old 07-13-16, 02:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

These new lightweight connecting rods are 40 to 50 percent lighter than the current steel units, allowing the engine to get more of its power down to the wheels improving acceleration. The successor to the Aventador is expected to arrive in 2020 as a 2021 model.

Lamborghini’s new Advanced Composite Structures Laboratory located in Seattle, Wash. will produce the new parts using forged composite, a method that is much faster than traditional carbon fiber forming. Rather than laying the cabon-fiber cloth in a mold and baking it or injecting resin into the mold at high pressure, Lambo’s method takes premixed carbon fibers and resin and presses it into a mold with massive force and heat, needing only three minutes to prepare a piece for finishing, compared to the hours the other methods take.
Old 07-13-16, 02:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Let's hope that Lambo has better success with this project than Ford did several decades ago with its plastic-engine project (which was really a plastic block and minor hardware, with many of the main moving parts remaining as metal). That project was not considered a success, and was never actually used in a production vehicle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_automotive_engine

Old 07-13-16, 07:05 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

1982 was the stone age marshall. Composites have come a long way, although I didn't think carbon fiber would hold up with the heat inside an engine. But then again what do I know.

It will be interesting to see if Formula 1 uses this first or if production car tech is outpacing racing tech because of stifling spec rules.
Old 07-13-16, 07:45 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Seattle was chosen the facility as Lambo has a partnership with Boeing, working towards carbon fiber innovations that benefit both automatic and aerospace.
This is supposedly similar carbon fiber technology used by Boeing on the 787 Dreamliner.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
1982 was the stone age marshall. Composites have come a long way, although I didn't think carbon fiber would hold up with the heat inside an engine. But then again what do I know.

It will be interesting to see if Formula 1 uses this first or if production car tech is outpacing racing tech because of stifling spec rules.
Lamborghini is only talking about using composite connecting rods, not a part exposed to high-stress or high-heat. Ford's plastic 2.3-litre Pinto engine also used non-metal (plastic) connecting rods.
Old 07-13-16, 08:03 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
This is supposedly similar carbon fiber technology used by Boeing on the 787 Dreamliner.

Lamborghini is only talking about using composite connecting rods, not a part exposed to high-stress or high-heat. Ford's plastic 2.3-litre Pinto engine also used non-metal (plastic) connecting rods.
Granted its not going to see temps as hot as the top of the piston, but its right below it and still in a really freaking hot part of the engine, in the cylinder bore.

As far as the connecting rod being a low stressed part of the engine, are you serious??? Ever seen a connecting rod fail, shear right in half, or bend??? There is a reason they use forged steel rods in high performance engines.
Old 07-14-16, 05:28 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking forward to this. I am surprised Koenigsegg hasn't done this or have they?
Old 07-14-16, 07:05 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

It will either be a catastrophic failure or a monumental success. Nothing in between. What's Lexus gonna do with their billion dollar CF loom if this tech is successful?
Old 07-14-16, 10:15 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
It will either be a catastrophic failure or a monumental success. Nothing in between. What's Lexus gonna do with their billion dollar CF loom if this tech is successful?
Prius CF
Old 07-15-16, 03:57 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd expect F1 to use composite materials in engines, especially as they're moving away from toxic metals like beryllium. Not sure about making conrods from carbon fiber though... CF tends to shatter into small sharp bits, not something you want in a big high-revving engine.
Old 07-15-16, 05:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Don't sell yourself short. You know quite a bit.....and you are correct here. Composites have indeed come a long way....they are often used in aircraft now. But, as you point out, the continuous high heat of high-powered auto engines (Lambo engines typically produce several hundred HP) places unique stresses on them that may not have totally been perfected yet.

One idea that the auto manufacturers don't seem to have caught onto yet (if it is possible) is the use of ceramic engine parts. Ceramics can withstand enormous amounts of heat without warping, stressing, or being damaged. That is why some high-performance cars have converted to ceramic brake rotors, at least as an option (I think Porsche was the first manufacturer to do so).........they don't warp or get out of round and vibrate with repeated heat-build-up like traditional steel rotors do.
Old 07-15-16, 04:08 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Ceramics have only a limited number of uses because of its properties. Ceramics perform well in compression but poorly in tension, so they can be used in brakes and perhaps as the piston face (though if you want anything other than a flat piston face, that may be difficult). But you would not be able to make a ceramic connecting rod.

Yes, carbon fiber does shatter into small, sharp fragments but I wonder if that is because of how CF components have been manufactured. CF components have traditionally been manufactured by carefully aligning the fibers as the sheets are applied; this is how they built up the strength of the component.

But this forging process does not care about aligning fibers; it seems to rely on the intensive force and heat to add strength to the component. If fibers are not aligned, there may be less risk of shattering into small, sharp pieces.
Old 07-16-16, 11:28 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

They need a hybrid if they are going to keep up. McLaren has knocked them off as one of the premiere manufacturers. They are getting a bit stale.
Old 07-17-16, 08:26 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
connecting rods are the most most stressed component in the engine