Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser

Old 05-17-16, 06:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
In case anyone is interested, full year 2014 sales figures for the lc + lx .

Land Cruiser 200 ( 121,500 )
Lexus LX 570 ( 28,600 )
Combined ( 150,100 )

No doubt sales will increase for 2016 after the refresh.
Those are worldwide sales. If you look at US sales figures for the LC are very small.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you tried asking any yourself? When I tell people today's RR costs over 100K loaded, the first reaction is something along the line of "Good Heavens" or "Amazing". Of course, to be honest, I don't get many serious inquiries from potential RR buyers....simply because most people who ask my advice don't have that kind of money to spend on a new vehicle, even on a lease.
People aren't going to get it right, but they're going to guess a luxury price. You're going to have people that think a LC is $35,000.

It all depends on the circles you run in. I know lots of people that buy and drive luxury cars including Range Rovers. They know what they cost.
Old 05-18-16, 04:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Lexus LX 570 ( 28,600 )
Combined ( 150,100 )

Pretty good worldwide sales numbers.
Old 05-18-16, 04:51 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus LX 570 ( 28,600 )
Combined ( 150,100 )

That just goes to show that there are way more people who know the value of quality vs being a brand *****. They may not be from BF nowhere in the US, but there is more to the world than that.

The LC may have a similar interior than a fully loaded Highlander, but that is only skin deep. This is typical thinking of the masses, who only look at brands and price to determine value.

Is the LX a much better buy? Yes, but only because the added price adds the tricked out suspension, not because of the L badge. Up until now, the LX was only available in NA, where as the LC was world wide and it competed competently against GL and RR in the market outside the US where as the LX competed competently in the US market. We'll see how that fares now that the LX is available world wide. We can already see an uptick in the LX sales in the Middle East , the question will be, is this cannibalizing the LC or taking sales away from the GL and RR.

Last edited by My0gr81; 05-18-16 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-18-16, 06:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
The LC may have a similar interior than a fully loaded Highlander, but that is only skin deep. This is typical thinking of the masses, who only look at brands and price to determine value.
I enjoy a high quality interior. Nothing the Land Cruiser has over a Highlander is of value to me, or to the vast majority of Americans. So if I'm going to spend $85,000+ on a vehicle, the Land Cruiser has absolutely zero appeal to me.

Is the LX a much better buy? Yes, but only because the added price adds the tricked out suspension, not because of the L badge.
That's your opinion. Badge is very important in the US. The badge brings with it other things than prestige. You get a better warranty, better dealer service. Toyota isn't equipped to serve an $85,000 US consumer.
Old 05-19-16, 11:51 AM
jsl757
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review. I bought a new Land Cruiser 2 years ago - great truck and so far very reliable. Yes it is expensive for what you get but I like how understated it is compared to RR and Escalades.

A few small annoyances that I was surprised about is the single cd/dvd slot upfront (Sequoias have Bluray players/LCs have DVD which also doesn't make sense) and the non-powered lift gate like the LX570. I don't have a super heavy foot and I average around 11mpg but full time 4wd isn't the most efficient drivetrain.
Old 05-19-16, 12:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jsl757
Nice review.
Thanks.

I bought a new Land Cruiser 2 years ago - great truck and so far very reliable. Yes it is expensive for what you get but I like how understated it is compared to RR and Escalades.
Congratulations on the purchase. Glad you ave had good luck with it. They are known, of course, for being reliable.

I don't have a super heavy foot and I average around 11mpg but full time 4wd isn't the most efficient drivetrain.
No....with something of this size and weight, full-time AWD, and an engine that size, you are definitely not going to win any economy runs.
Old 06-07-16, 10:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
That just goes to show that there are way more people who know the value of quality vs being a brand *****. They may not be from BF nowhere in the US, but there is more to the world than that.

Is the LX a much better buy? Yes, but only because the added price adds the tricked out suspension, not because of the L badge. Up until now, the LX was only available in NA, where as the LC was world wide and it competed competently against GL and RR in the market outside the US where as the LX competed competently in the US market. We'll see how that fares now that the LX is available world wide. We can already see an uptick in the LX sales in the Middle East , the question will be, is this cannibalizing the LC or taking sales away from the GL and RR.
You can get the tricked out LX suspension in a Land Cruiser in some parts of the world. I like the current USA spec Land Cruiser suspension. I would actually delete the KDSS if possible and just have a more standard traditional set up. It is interesting that the LC is Toyotas most capable SUV when it comes to towing in the USA .