Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac’s Problem of the Cars It Can’t Sell

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-16, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
People have been saying that "Cadillac is making moves" for decades now. It's been 14 years since the original CTS launched yet Cadillac is still a struggling brand that's only being kept alive by the Escalade, a very mediocre vehicle that only sells because Americans love their big GMT platform SUVs.
That's because Cadillac badly messed up the original 1Gen CTS in a number of areas...I won't go into all of them in detail here, since I have already done so in other posts/threads.
Old 05-01-16, 03:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Same for the new XT5--great starting price. Unless you want AWD (in an SUV? crazy...), which is not less than $9,000 more, because AWD isn't available in the base model. Suddenly, the car is no cheaper than competitors.
Buick's new Envision (which is done on the XT5's platform) actually starts out more expensive than the base-model XT5 itself. But, as you note, add AWD, and the XT5 suddenly costs some real cash. Not only that, but Buick also promises a less-expensive version of the Envision coming next year. (the Envision, of course, is built in China, so that country's low labor-rates should be a factor).

The XT5, BTW, is just now starting to reach the D.C. area, and it is next on my full-review list.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-01-16 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-01-16, 03:54 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Buick's new Environ (which is done on the XT5's platform) actually starts out more expensive than the base-model XT5 itself. But, as you note, add AWD, and the XT5 suddenly costs some real cash. Not only that, but Buick also promises a less-expensive version of the Environ coming next year. (the Environ, of course, is built in China, so that country's low labor-rates should be a factor).

The XT5, BTW, is just now starting to reach the D.C. area, and it is next on my full-review list.
I think you mean Envision instead of Environ.
Old 05-01-16, 04:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I think you mean Envision instead of Environ.
Yeah, Thanks. A typo....I'll correct that.
Old 05-01-16, 04:57 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
As long as Cadillac can get the same reaction from the CT6 as they do the Escalade, it will be fine. We will find out soon. I still think the CT6 will do well
Sedans dont sell period. Unless Oil Prices become insane again, sedans are hard purchases now. Just look at the GS. Its an SUV driven market currently. The XT5 wont be as good as the escalade since the esacalade has a cult following by Livery and Just Customers in general. However I can betccha ya that it`ll probably its second most popular volume mover.

See if you try and compete with the Germans you need to offer a German showroom experience or the gold standard Lexus experience. Then aggressively offer Lease rates like BMW at the bare minimum.
Old 05-01-16, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
See if you try and compete with the Germans you need to offer a German showroom experience or the gold standard Lexus experience. Then aggressively offer Lease rates like BMW at the bare minimum.

Although Lincoln's Black Label program does offer a number of customer-perks, in general that's one area where Cadillac outdoes its nearest rival. Cadillac dealerships are (usually) more impressive than those of Lincoln, because Lincoln does not have its own dedicated line of dealerships right now. Ever since Mercury folded several years ago, Lincolns are sold from select Ford dealerships, which creates two problems. First, even with the luxury-grade Lincoln nameplate, you still have sales and service in a basically Ford-grade dealership. Second, not all Ford shops handle Lincolns to start with (only select ones)....so you may have to drive some miles to find one. Cadillac, in contrast, has dealerships that, with some exceptions, usually sell and service only Cadillac products, and are designed as such. Like with Lincoln, though, sometimes you still have to drive some miles to find a Cadillac shop......a widespread dealer network is still not one of their strong points.
Old 05-01-16, 05:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Sedans dont sell period.
Thats not at all the case. Its true SUV sales have grown and luxury sedan sales have diminished somewhat, but to say "they don't sell period" is an overstatement. The 5 series and E Class sell 5k a month each...they still sell 6k ESs a month. Lots of luxury sedans being sold.
Old 05-01-16, 05:37 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although Lincoln's Black Label program does offer a number of customer-perks, in general that's one area where Cadillac outdoes its nearest rival. Cadillac dealerships are (usually) more impressive than those of Lincoln, because Lincoln does not have its own dedicated line of dealerships right now. Ever since Mercury folded several years ago, Lincolns are sold from select Ford dealerships, which creates two problems. First, even with the luxury-grade Lincoln nameplate, you still have sales and service in a basically Ford-grade dealership. Second, not all Ford shops handle Lincolns to start with (only select ones)....so you may have to drive some miles to find one. Cadillac, in contrast, has dealerships that, with some exceptions, usually sell and service only Cadillac products, and are designed as such. Like with Lincoln, though, sometimes you still have to drive some miles to find a Cadillac shop......a widespread dealer network is still not one of their strong points.
Agreed, but have you tried walking into a Cadillac Dealership....its like walking in to an Chevy dealership minus the cars. If you walk into a Chevy dealership things move on their own as one might say, its bottom dollar sales. For Cadillac, the luxury brand feel isnt there. The CA seems like he or she already knows the vehicle is gonna sell itself (and if its an escalade it will). Little to no intervention, ask a question about basic functionality and blank stares is what you get. Power windows are standard, leather optional is all I have heard about from those shopping the brand at chain dealerships. I`d expect at least the basic reasons why one should consider a Cadilliac before I have to pull out my smartphone lol

i think the most traffic a Caddy dealership has seen was when they were stuffing the newly launched basic CTS with $15k trunk money, so it made sense to get into one as a lease or even a buy instead of shelling out for a 3 series or similar
Old 05-01-16, 05:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, but have you tried walking into a Cadillac Dealership....its like walking in to an Chevy dealership minus the cars....For Cadillac, the luxury brand feel isnt there.
Totally depends on the dealer. I've been in several Cadillac dealers that were beautiful.

The CA seems like he or she already knows the vehicle is gonna sell itself (and if its an escalade it will). Little to no intervention, ask a question about basic functionality and blank stares is what you get. Power windows are standard, leather optional is all I have heard about from those shopping the brand at chain dealerships. I`d expect at least the basic reasons why one should consider a Cadilliac before I have to pull out my smartphone lol
Sounds like the experience I've had in many Lexus, BMW and Mercedes dealers. Dealer quality really varies a lot.
Old 05-01-16, 05:46 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Thats not at all the case. Its true SUV sales have grown and luxury sedan sales have diminished somewhat, but to say "they don't sell period" is an overstatement. The 5 series and E Class sell 5k a month each...they still sell 6k ESs a month. Lots of luxury sedans being sold.
Which are all established brandplates. Cadillac has been trying for the past couple of years to break the mold with the ATS, CTS, CT6.
Old 05-01-16, 05:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Which are all established brandplates. Cadillac has been trying for the past couple of years to break the mold with the ATS, CTS, CT6.
The CTS is not a new nameplate. It's historically sold pretty well. The issue is this time they up sized it and made it a lot more expensive.
Old 05-01-16, 05:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Totally depends on the dealer. I've been in several Cadillac dealers that were beautiful.

Sounds like the experience I've had in many Lexus, BMW and Mercedes dealers. Dealer quality really varies a lot.
I took a test drive in an XT5 on Friday, and the dealership was impressive. Elegant and understated. I believe Cadillac has been pressuring their dealers to upgrade their facilities and separate them from the Buick and GMC brands.
Old 05-01-16, 05:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What did you think of the XT5?
Old 05-01-16, 05:57 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

What did you think of the XT5?
A nice vehicle. The ride and handling were very good and it was smooth and quiet on less than ideal streets. Nice interior with ample leather, wood and soft touch surfaces. Some hard plastic on lower panels but low enough you don't really notice them. It seems that the initial allotment of them are FWD's with AWD's to follow. With the AWD you can manually select FWD only, if desired for improved fuel economy.
Old 05-01-16, 06:15 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I didn't say they found the correct move to make yet. But I am seeing some positive signs. They're finally focusing their attention on the SUV market and they have plans to expand the Escalade family. It was incredibly stupid of them to focus their attention on all of these sedans which clearly haven't lighting the market on fire instead of SUV's.

Again, Johan and others have acknowledged what's going to bring them money in the future and I'm eager to see it. Cadillac needs to be come it's own brand instead of chasing the others and I sincerely hope they get there within the next 5 years. Otherwise it'll be yet another round of making moves.
Fair enough point.

Quick Reply: Cadillac’s Problem of the Cars It Can’t Sell