Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac’s Problem of the Cars It Can’t Sell

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 07:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I'm not sure why this needs to be analyzed to death...like I said this is not an unusual thing for a franchiser to do.
Old 09-27-16, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm not sure why this needs to be analyzed to death...like I said this is not an unusual thing for a franchiser to do.
Nothing in the auto industry happens today without a lot of talk from auto-enthusisats. That's just the state of today's social media.

And you seem to like the CT6. Might be a nice replacement for your LS one day...........
Old 09-27-16, 10:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
They are offering "up to" $180,000 to each of these dealers. They better be selling 50 or fewer cars, because that is an incredibly low buyout.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree, but tex2670 is still correct that it's an insulting offer, even by rural standards.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed, but maybe De Nysschen and his henchmen feel that they at least owe their dealerships something, even if it isn't much. After all, Cadillac itself might not exist today if, during the bankruptcy/reorganization right years ago, the Federal Government, State of Michigan, City of Detroit, UAW, GM bond-buyers, stockholders, and others had all not been so generous with their lending and/or donations to keep at least part of GM still afloat. Still, even with all of that, four GM divisions obviously didn't survive.
Cadillac is not going to be nice and owe the dealers anything. GM wants the dealer network cut. As simple as that. 900+ dealers selling how many cars? These dealers are going to be offered between 100k and 180k, they apparently will not be carrying inventory in the future as Cadillac is going to an order based system where the buyer views the car though virtual reality and then they order the car. This method is for the poor performing dealers.

BTW, Lincoln has the same amount of dealers as Cadillac. They went though a similar downsizing a few years ago.
Old 09-27-16, 10:51 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Another thing about the small dealers is they probably won't have parts in stock for your Cadillac. And I have serious doubts about some of them being able to even properly service your Cadillac as well, they might have one or two Cadillac trained techs who don't work on Cadillacs all the time(ie they mostly service Chevies since that's what the dealer mainly sells). Cadillacs are very complex and different mechanically from everything else GM sells(except for the Escalade)
Old 09-28-16, 06:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

BTW, Lincoln has the same amount of dealers as Cadillac. They went though a similar downsizing a few years ago.
Lincoln, though, to my knowledge, does not have any stand-alone dealerships....Cadillac does, though some Caddy shops are also shared with other GM brands.
Old 09-28-16, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Another thing about the small dealers is they probably won't have parts in stock for your Cadillac. And I have serious doubts about some of them being able to even properly service your Cadillac as well, they might have one or two Cadillac trained techs who don't work on Cadillacs all the time(ie they mostly service Chevies since that's what the dealer mainly sells). Cadillacs are very complex and different mechanically from everything else GM sells(except for the Escalade)
With most auto manufacturers (and I don't see why Cadillac would be any different) the Service-Technicians at the dealerships receive factory-training...particularly when an all-new model is about to be introduced. (and Cadillac has just introduced two all-new models, the CT6 and XT5, with another, smaller XT3 on the way). Factory-training for dealer-techs is usually a requirement by the manufacturer for a dealer-franchise. In addition, most of the techs also have an ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) Certification as well. That is one reason why service at dealerships often costs more than independent shops....in addition to using certified factory parts.