Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Confirmed 3-Row RX Coming, RX350L & RX450hL

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-16, 04:27 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lexus Confirmed 3-Row RX Coming, RX350L & RX450hL

Lexus Confirmed 3-Row RX Coming, RX350L & RX450hL

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...EM04/303239919
Old 03-23-16, 04:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Finally! But why does it take them so long to roll this stuff out. Early 2018?!? Seriously?
Old 03-23-16, 04:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Wonder how much of a premium this 'L' will command over the standard RX/RXh?
Old 03-23-16, 04:58 PM
smualum11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have to tell me twice.

The RX 350L will be my next Lexus at lease end in March 2018 and the first Lexus I fully purchase. As soon as they will let me order to coincide with my lease end. Will likely meet exactly my need. I was worried for a while that I would need to swap to a Highlander or even a GX to meet the third row requirement of my next vehicle.

Considering other, although larger, SUVs out there that also offer the elongated wheelbase (think Escalade ESV & Navigator L) -- I would suspect a 2 to 3K premium?
Old 03-23-16, 05:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wonder how much of a premium this 'L' will command over the standard RX/RXh?
$5k with more base equipment?
Old 03-23-16, 05:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by smualum11
Don't have to tell me twice.

The RX 350L will be my next Lexus at lease end in March 2018 and the first Lexus I fully purchase. As soon as they will let me order to coincide with my lease end. Will likely meet exactly my need. I was worried for a while that I would need to swap to a Highlander or even a GX to meet the third row requirement of my next vehicle.

Considering other, although larger, SUVs out there that also offer the elongated wheelbase (think Escalade ESV & Navigator L) -- I would suspect a 2 to 3K premium?
Just curious as to why do you have such a need for a 3 row RX?
Old 03-24-16, 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Finally! But why does it take them so long to roll this stuff out. Early 2018?!? Seriously?
i am just glad that they finally do it. should have come out with the regular
Old 03-24-16, 11:04 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like I have my replacement for my Toyota when it's lease expires, hopefully the extra inches won't affect it's looks.
Old 03-25-16, 08:13 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So I'm also very curious. My curiosity stems from, even though it's 3 rows, it's still really cramped back there and it's really suited really -only- for kids, not adults for any lengthy periods of time.
Unless you want your hips & knees to be angled in a tight "lazy-N" position?

To me, the only vehicle that's practical enough for adults, or even larger/taller teenagers, would be a vehicle along the lines of a Sienna.

Those are my thoughts/experiences and curiosities.
Old 03-25-16, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well, believe it or not, one reason I sometimes hear is that enough families have enough siblings that just can't get along with one another (despite Mom and Dad riding along up front) that they actually need to keep some of the kids physically separated in different rows for the sake of world peace LOL. I mean...who wants to put up with endless whining, complaining, insults, spit-*****, Kiddie-pranks, and even physical blows in the rear seat on a long trip? Even the built-in entertainment systems can only do so much. Parenting is stressful enough as it is, even with everyone at home.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-16 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-25-16, 08:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good post, pbm317.

That new version of the RX will be welcome for several reasons....among them, of course, competition for Lincoln's new 3-row MKX (although, obviously, even the 2-row RX handily outsells the MKX), and for Cadillac's upcoming new crossover SUVs.

The main question seems to be what kind of third-row seat will it have....since the basic body style of the RX will (apparently) not be changing much, we'll see if space might have to come out of the existing 2-row seating inside....in other words, robbing Peter to pay Paul. Jeff Bracken says that, nonetheless, they managed to get a usable 3rd seat in............we'll see.
Old 03-25-16, 09:04 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good post, pbm317.

That new version of the RX will be welcome for several reasons....among them, of course, competition for Lincoln's new 3-row MKX (although, obviously, even the 2-row RX handily outsells the MKX), and for Cadillac's upcoming new crossover SUVs.

The main question seems to be what kind of third-row seat will it have....since the basic body style of the RX will (apparently) not be changing much, we'll see if space might have to come out of the existing 2-row seating inside....in other words, robbing Peter to pay Paul. Jeff Bracken says that, nonetheless, they managed to get a usable 3rd seat in............we'll see.
What 3-row MKX are you talking about? New MKX is still a 2-row offering.

It's going to be a rear ward facing 3rd row, a la station wagons of the 70s/80s and the Model S, that's the only way the headroom can work with that raked rear end..... (i'm entirely joking).

Back in November 2015 Akio Toyoda was interviewed and said he was putting brakes on the Lexus 3-row project, likely for a redesign of the proposal, so that it would keep a design focus while offering a 3rd row. So they don't want it to lose character just to add a 3rd row.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...lexus-vehicles
Old 03-25-16, 09:17 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

So will there still be a "TX" then?

Originally Posted by RX469
So I'm also very curious. My curiosity stems from, even though it's 3 rows, it's still really cramped back there and it's really suited really -only- for kids, not adults for any lengthy periods of time.

To me, the only vehicle that's practical enough for adults, or even larger/taller teenagers, would be a vehicle along the lines of a Sienna.

I agree. I can't imagine the leg room/storage for this 3row RX.

Look at the GX's storage space with the 3rd row seat down.

These cramped 3row med. size suvs are probably just for transporting people around on short trips.

If lexus can pull it off like the QX, this will be great.
Lexus "IS" actually listening to us consumers

Last edited by GS3Tek; 03-25-16 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-25-16, 09:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469

it depends on the vehicle. Some of these three row crossovers actually have legitimate adult room in the third row. The best I've seen is the Infiniti QX60/Nissan Pathfinder, but the third row also has adult room in the Highlander, the new Pilot, the Explorer, the three row Santa Fe isn't bad. So, if its done well, there can be adult room in the third row.

Even so...people buy these vehicles that do have kids, so having a row thats only suitable for kids isn't a big deal...they just have their kids sit there.

I find is really funny that people seem to think nobody wants a 3 row crossover, all you have to do is look at the marketplace and sales of these vehicles and its clear that they do.
Old 03-25-16, 11:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
What 3-row MKX are you talking about? New MKX is still a 2-row offering.
Thanks. Good catch...sorry about that (my bad). I had forgotten that, even though I reviewed a new MKX not that long ago.
Originally Posted by pbm317

It's going to be a rear ward facing 3rd row, a la station wagons of the 70s/80s and the Model S, that's the only way the headroom can work with that raked rear end..... (i'm entirely joking).

Those rear-facing 3rd-seat wagons actually go back further than that. I can remember some of them as far back as the 1950s....especially as American full-size wagons rapidly expanded in size during the late 50s.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-16 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus Confirmed 3-Row RX Coming, RX350L & RX450hL