Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Confirmed 3-Row RX Coming, RX350L & RX450hL

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 05:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Its just one quick, poorly angled picture guys lol
Old 08-23-17, 12:19 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

without actually seeinng this in person, its hard. Right now I thought those 3rd seats were checked in luggage until i scrolled down. Take the GX with a refresh of course any day over this from the current pics. I assume during launch it will be a whole lot better for 2019

The seat backs have changed i assume.
Old 08-23-17, 07:35 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

There is a window behind the rear door visible in the spy shots, similar in shape to the regular RX model's third window, so I am assuming that the RX-L will have similarly-shaped C- and D-pillars as the RX (including the floating roof look).
Old 08-23-17, 07:38 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by coolsaber
without actually seeinng this in person, its hard. Right now I thought those 3rd seats were checked in luggage until i scrolled down. Take the GX with a refresh of course any day over this from the current pics. I assume during launch it will be a whole lot better for 2019

The seat backs have changed i assume.
I would think that the 2nd-row seats in the RX-L will be different from the RX, to tilt and slide forward, allowing for access to the 3rd-row.
Old 08-23-17, 11:59 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I would think that the 2nd-row seats in the RX-L will be different from the RX, to tilt and slide forward, allowing for access to the 3rd-row.
Also for hauling purposes I hope they can make them removable. Like in the Toyota Sienna. That would compliment to the added length of the vehicle.
Also Lexus PLEASE make the interior of the vehicle quiet! As in 60 +-5 db max. I don't want to have to sound deadening again. That was a PIA.
Old 08-24-17, 05:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Assume it's based on highlander but uf the seats are thicker / fancier then there will be less room.
i doubt seats will be removeable.
Old 08-24-17, 06:53 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Assume it's based on highlander but uf the seats are thicker / fancier then there will be less room.
i doubt seats will be removeable.
Agreed that the seats are likely not removable. Are there any car-based crossover utility vehicles that have removable rear seats? Without a truly flat floor under those 2nd- and 3rd-row seats, does it help to remove the seats. leaving a multi-level cargo area?
Old 08-24-17, 07:11 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'll await final judgement until we see it without camo, but I am concerned about the proportions.

I remember when the Chevy Trailblazer was available in 2 and 3 row versions. I thought the 2 row version looked great but the 3 row version had what seemed like a somewhat disproportionate and bloated looking back half that just always made it look a bit 'off'.

Two row:

Three row:

Old 08-24-17, 08:03 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I can't believe they are introducing a new model on the old platform. Why not switch over to the new platform and have a true 3 row designed from the ground up then the next gen RX can be a shortened version. When the next RX on the new platform comes, it will be the same song and dance again with the RXL on an old platform for 3 - 4 more yrs with a third row that doesnt look usable at all.
Old 08-24-17, 08:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Remember the "old platform" RX is only 1 year old. That version RX is going to be around for a good while longer. Unless they're going to make an all new model and not call this an RX-L it only makes sense to base it on the current RX.
Old 08-24-17, 08:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I can't believe they are introducing a new model on the old platform. Why not switch over to the new platform and have a true 3 row designed from the ground up then the next gen RX can be a shortened version. When the next RX on the new platform comes, it will be the same song and dance again with the RXL on an old platform for 3 - 4 more yrs with a third row that doesnt look usable at all.
They can't shorten the RX, that's where the NX is now. I imagine this RX-L will have a shorter lifecycle and will changeover to the new platform whenever the 2 row RX does, it won't have to live on next to an all-new 2-row.
Old 08-24-17, 08:59 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'll await final judgement until we see it without camo, but I am concerned about the proportions.

I remember when the Chevy Trailblazer was available in 2 and 3 row versions. I thought the 2 row version looked great but the 3 row version had what seemed like a somewhat disproportionate and bloated looking back half that just always made it look a bit 'off'.
Supposedly one of the reasons why the RX-L is so late is that Akio rejected an initial design that basically just raised the rear pillar and changed the proportions and look of the RX, and would have potentially had a pretty awkward look relative to the 2-row. We'll see when the covers are lifted!
Old 08-31-17, 09:00 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Holy D Pillar, Batman!
These are my exact words!!!

Granted the pictures are not great, but that 3rd row seat looks cramped.
Same observation here. Adding a 3rd row for the sake of marketing/saying we've added a 3rd to the RX line in crazy and Lexus (Toyota) should not be making these (fail) mistakes for such an experienced company, in these tough competitive times. They need to go back to the drawing board and get this right the 1st time! Instead of the adjectives being cramped/for mini-me/for kids only/no adults can fit back there, how about if they were closer to, comfortable/comfortable enough/acceptable space, etc.

Remember, they are not marketing this as, 3rd row seating for kids, it's the, 2018 Lexus RX with 3rd row seating.

This will be their Conundrum to resolve, add 3rd row seating with acceptable-non-cramped space that's retains the RX profile without looking like a Suburban. Heck, I would venture to say the Sienna's 3rd row is acceptable seating, and that's the Sienna.
Old 08-31-17, 11:00 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Remember the "old platform" RX is only 1 year old. That version RX is going to be around for a good while longer. Unless they're going to make an all new model and not call this an RX-L it only makes sense to base it on the current RX.
Yes the current platform is 1 yr old, but this current platform is also based on the last gen platform. It should have been based on the TNGA so when the next gen RX comes along, both will be on the same platform.
Old 08-31-17, 11:01 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pbm317
They can't shorten the RX, that's where the NX is now. I imagine this RX-L will have a shorter lifecycle and will changeover to the new platform whenever the 2 row RX does, it won't have to live on next to an all-new 2-row.
My point was to shorten the RXL for the next gen RX, if they had based the RXL on the TNGA instead of the existing old platform.

Quick Reply: Lexus Confirmed 3-Row RX Coming, RX350L & RX450hL