Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-17, 10:19 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhw2
My 2014 LS 460 L AWD has Michelin OEM tires which are basically out of tread at 24k miles. Is that normal and reasonable for this vehicle? The tires ride and handle fine. I have a slow leak in one and am considering changing all five in the next few months, as there is some useful but not much tread left. So for a spare I put the slow leaker in the trunk and the spare new tire on the ground. Need to get another tire so my spare is not a leaker but wanted some advice on better mileage alternatives to go to next across the board. If I am going that way, why not get a spare in that tire? Sure they wont be identical until I make the change in a few months but what is the issue with that? If I change brands and / or tires why not either get a "used" Michelin to cover the gap in time or the new tire even if its a different brand/motel than the new ones going on the ground? Any good sources of a used tire for the spare? Was going to try salvage yards. Someone recommended putting some tire flat fix product in the leaker others cautioned against doing that due to damage to wheel or unbalanced behavior even if it stops the leak?
Your best bet is to get the four new tires for the car, and save the best used one you currently have for the spare. That's what I have done over the years and it works out well. You will rarely ever use the spare or have it on the car for long if you get a flat. So it doesn't need to be anything special or have a ton of tread on it.
Old 03-01-17, 10:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I agree, the question is what tire to get, to find a better mileage but good riding tire as an alternative to the Michelin OEMs. Got 24k miles is all out of them thus far. Recommendations? Its a 19 inch since my car is AWD and long wheel base.
I'd buy the Pirelli Cinturato P7 plus. Thats what I have, and I'm at 22k miles service, very smooth and quiet, tread is nowhere near done.
Old 03-01-17, 02:17 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'd buy the Pirelli Cinturato P7 plus. Thats what I have, and I'm at 22k miles service, very smooth and quiet, tread is nowhere near done.
+1 for the P7's. There are quite a few LS's drivers in the forum, '07-'15, that have purchased a set and no complaints. Steve can also attest to this fact, that they actually get more quiet and dare I say smoother once broken in. That point for me was around 800 miles.
Old 03-02-17, 03:43 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the quick solid advice on which tire to go with so I can act quickly. The spare leak is slow and with the air pressure monitor on the spare I can tell when I need to put some air in it until the new tires are in and on the ground.
Old 03-02-17, 08:05 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for the quick solid advice on which tire to go with so I can act quickly. The spare leak is slow and with the air pressure monitor on the spare I can tell when I need to put some air in it until the new tires are in and on the ground.
Glad I could add my little .02 cents! Good luck with the purchase. I purchased mine from Tire Rack a few months ago for less than $800. But after shipping to a local store and cost to swap old to new tires, the cost was about $830 for me.
Great tire.
Old 03-05-17, 06:09 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

The best price I found for this tire is on Ebay. A seller called Buy Wheels Today. They have a near flawless rating by buyers. Any reason not to use them instead of Tire Rack? Also Discount Tire tells me they will match any price. I may go with them if they match the ebay seller price. $780 for a set of four. Mine are 19 inch wheels and next best price I see is at Discount Tire if I get their credit card to use to buy them, Id rather not get another credit card if I can avoid it.
Old 03-05-17, 06:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I wouldn't buy tires from eBay lol. What do you do if one needs replaced or is defective somehow? How old are the tires? Buy from a credible source.
Old 03-05-17, 06:45 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

I wouldn't buy tires from eBay lol. What do you do if one needs replaced or is defective somehow? How old are the tires? Buy from a credible source.
+1. Not only that but eBay is full of Chinese made knock offs. This would includes tires . I just don't trust when it comes to safety items. Even consumer reports ended up with a set of knock off tires in one of their tire tests and they didn't buy them from eBay. Lol
Old 03-05-17, 01:19 PM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Lol, Never bought anything before from them didnt know they were shady lol. Sure a big spread in price and up from the $800 one found them not long ago I took it. My current tires have 5 32rds of thread left and the leak on the one in spare service now is so slow it only needs air every two weeks to stay up above 30 psi. I am running 34 when cold on the ones on the ground now. Best price I am seeing avoiding the Discount CC is around $900 for for a set of 4
Old 03-05-17, 02:41 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Lol, Never bought anything before from them didnt know they were shady lol. Sure a big spread in price and up from the $800 one found them not long ago I took it. My current tires have 5 32rds of thread left and the leak on the one in spare service now is so slow it only needs air every two weeks to stay up above 30 psi. I am running 34 when cold on the ones on the ground now. Best price I am seeing avoiding the Discount CC is around $900 for for a set of 4

it's a case of a few ruining it for everyone. Wish it was easy to tell who's legitimate and who's not.