Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 09:29 PM
8M6
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
wife's A5 has the Conti Extreme Contact DWS for about 20K miles and they're getting noisy with over 50% tread left......very disappointed.
The ExtremeContact DWS was pretty good overall for my GS4. I don't remember them being particularly noisy and I had those tires for about 30-35K miles before I got a sidewall bubble the size of a golf ball that developed from hitting a pothole of doom last year. I was ready to buy four new ExtremeContact DWS tires again since it was about time anyway, but the local Discount Tire didn't have any in stock. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 were recommended to me and I got them during a Discount Tire $100 gift card promo period.

I definitely like the Pilot Sport A/S 3 better than the ExtremeContact DWS so far, but it's not a huge difference, and I think most people likely wouldn't notice any difference.

Last edited by 8M6; 03-10-16 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-11-16, 05:27 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I believe most Lexus models come with Michelin tires. Usually they are pretty good. So I would like to see what the OP says
My experience with Michelin Primacy & Pirelli all seasons has been that it produces too much of a white noise sound. I guess many like them as it covers up other sounds. I personally prefer tires with a noise in the lower ranges than the higher.
Old 03-11-16, 02:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
My experience with Michelin Primacy & Pirelli all seasons has been that it produces too much of a white noise sound. I guess many like them as it covers up other sounds. I personally prefer tires with a noise in the lower ranges than the higher.
Do you have experience with these particular Pirellis, the Cinturato P7 Plus? My tires have no such white noise sound. I know the sound you're talking about with the Primacy.
Old 03-11-16, 04:47 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have these Pirelli's on my 460. I bought them after being extremely disappointed with Continentals.
Old 03-11-16, 09:13 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Michelins are usually rated on top. I have followed tire ratings for several decades now and can validate that. I have never been let down or sold short after purchasing Michelins. It's worth the extra cost and they always keep the expensive OEM look.
Old 03-11-16, 09:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Michelins are usually rated on top. I have followed tire ratings for several decades now and can validate that. I have never been let down or sold short after purchasing Michelins. It's worth the extra cost and they always keep the expensive OEM look.
I have never had a problem with Michelin tires. I have historically had more experience with truck and SUV Michelins, and I would not hesitate to get them again.

Originally Posted by geko29
but OEM tires are frequently expensive garbage. Was the case on both of my BMWs, as well as our RX. .
Comments like this is why I wonder why people bought the car in the first place? Wouldn't garbage tires have thrown you off during the test drive?
Old 03-12-16, 05:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm a Michelin guy myself, but they aren't always the best tire in every segment. Issue is for the LS460 they don't offer as good modern grand touring tire (for instance their new Premier) in the car's OEM sizes. If you want a UHP tire they have the Pilot Sport AS/3 which is a very good tire, but for a grand touring tire the best fit is the Pirelli.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-12-16 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-12-16, 05:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
.Comments like this is why I wonder why people bought the car in the first place? Wouldn't garbage tires have thrown you off during the test drive?
The difference is not so significant that you would not buy the car, especially when the tires are brand new, but over time as they age they get louder and harder, and knowing these cars so well and knowing the tires that come on them I know when replacing the bad OEM tires will make a big impact on the car. That's the case with the tires that come on the LS.

When I had my GS I ran those OEM Michelin MXM4 for 35k miles because I knew that they were good tires, if I bought a new ES on Primacy MXV4 I wouldn't swap those until they were worn either.

I will say though to anybody still driving their LS on those Bridgestones they're missing out from how good the car can be.
Old 03-12-16, 06:47 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Do you have experience with these particular Pirellis, the Cinturato P7 Plus? My tires have no such white noise sound. I know the sound you're talking about with the Primacy.
Nope. No cinturato.
Old 03-12-16, 06:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nope. No cinturato.
I would caution you against lumping all products from a manufacturer into one pile. All you have to do is look at the reviews for the Cinturato P7 and the Cinturato P7 PLUS to see how different even tires within the same family can be.
Old 03-12-16, 07:26 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I would caution you against lumping all products from a manufacturer into one pile. All you have to do is look at the reviews for the Cinturato P7 and the Cinturato P7 PLUS to see how different even tires within the same family can be.
Caution me? I got the Michelin Primacy because I read 5 star reviews and they are rated highest on Tire rack. Not for me though. I also got Pirelli All seasons and the same result. Too bad the cinturato does not come in sizes for my cars.
Old 03-12-16, 09:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Caution me? I got the Michelin Primacy because I read 5 star reviews and they are rated highest on Tire rack. Not for me though. I also got Pirelli All seasons and the same result. Too bad the cinturato does not come in sizes for my cars.
When people are talking about a specific tire I wouldn't rely on your experience with only other tires from the same manufacturer is my point. There's a wide variety in models even within the same brand.

For instance which Primacy did you have? MXV4 or MXM4? I'm vet had both and they're pretty different.
Old 03-12-16, 10:41 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

When people are talking about a specific tire I wouldn't rely on your experience with only other tires from the same manufacturer is my point. There's a wide variety in models even within the same brand.

For instance which Primacy did you have? MXV4 or MXM4? I'm vet had both and they're pretty different.
Point taken.

I have the MXM4 grand touring version.

Pirelli Scorpion Verde All season

The tire that met my road noise expectations was the Dunlop Grandtrek, and it is only a 3 star rated tire at tirerack.

Last edited by chikoo; 03-12-16 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-12-16, 02:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Point taken.

I have the MXM4 grand touring version.

Pirelli Scorpion Verde All season

The tire that met my road noise expectations was the Dunlop Grandtrek, and it is only a 3 star rated tire at tirerack.
Yeah I had the MXM4 Primacy on the GS and they're not as quiet as the MXV4 Primacy which is what most people here talk about. Those tires are available for the LS but I didn't even consider them. They're okay but nothing special. Their reviews on TireRack are nothing special either.

Yeah I put more weight on real world experiences than TR surveys.
Old 03-12-16, 04:45 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Yeah I had the MXM4 Primacy on the GS and they're not as quiet as the MXV4 Primacy which is what most people here talk about. Those tires are available for the LS but I didn't even consider them. They're okay but nothing special. Their reviews on TireRack are nothing special either.

Yeah I put more weight on real world experiences than TR surveys.
@ Tirerack users have rated

The mXM4 noise rating is 8.3

The Grandtrek is rated 6.5

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendations