Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport: 5 Things to Know

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-16, 09:23 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2017 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport: 5 Things to Know

Chevrolet Corvette fans face a quandary—do they buy the sporty Corvette Stingray or the knockout-punching Corvette Z06? And with the kickoff of the 2016 Geneva Motor Show in Switzerland, Chevrolet isn’t making that decision any easier.

Meet the new 2017 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport, a “purist” model toting less weight, track-tuned aerodynamics, and a sleek look. The race-inspired ‘Vette made its debut on Tuesday; here’s what you need to know.

A Historic Breed

The “Grand Sport” name has a long association with the Corvette, dating back to its birth in 1963. As the story goes, Corvette chief engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov hatched a clandestine plan to rival the speedy Shelby Cobras on track by crafting 125 lightweight Corvette Grand Sport GT race cars. The scheme was eventually shuttered by GM upper management after only five were built, but the name stuck and it has reappeared in both the C4, C6, and now C7 ‘Vettes.

It’s Properly Fast

When your measuring stick for performance is the late-great C6 Corvette ZR1… you can expect big things. According to the Detroit firm, the new 2017 Corvette Grand Sport completes GM’s Milford Proving Ground road course less than a second behind its heady ancestor (a car with 178 more horsepower).

Beneath the Grand Sport’s snout beats a naturally-aspirated LT1 6.2-liter V8, which tacks on dry-sump lubrication and summons 460 horsepower. Speed comes courtesy of either a seven-speed manual with shift rev-matching, or by way of a tuned eight-speed paddle-shift automatic.

Designed to Grip
The Grand Sport stakes its claim as a lighter, purist choice for Corvette fans, and it aims to deliver by adding grip in the twists. Chevrolet notes the Grand Sport offers 1.05g of cornering capability, which is cranked up to 1.2g with the car’s optional Z07 upgrade (stickier Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires, a carbon fiber aero package, and carbon ceramic brakes).

As standard, the car comes shod in Michelin Super Sport tires on Grand Sport specific wheels, and this footwear hides massive 14- and 13.4-inch Brembo brakes, new springs, and stabilizer bars. Magnetic ride control and an electronic limited-slip differential carry over as well. “We didn’t hold back with the new Grand Sport,” says Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer.

Crisp Styling and a Collector Edition
The C7 generation’s body lines continue to age well, and the new Grand Sport certainly doesn’t break that trend. Chevrolet has subtly pumped up its rear fenders and added a Z06-style front grille, not to mention the Z07 carbon elements at both ends. The new GS’s share the Stingray’s exterior color palate, but offer unique hash-mark fender graphics as part of a “Heritage” styling package.

Inside things are pretty slick as well, and the hash-marks outside match the interior colors within. Chevrolet offers an exclusive Watkins Glen Grey Metallic interior if you buy the new Grand Sport Collector Edition, which also carries a unique build-number plaque, and sports an image of the original Corvette Grand Sport embossed in the headrests.

When Can You Buy One?
That will depend on which continent you call home. The 2017 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport arrives in both coupe and convertible guises and goes on sale in the US this summer, and in Europe later this fall. As of yet, pricing has not been released.

http://news.boldride.com/2016/03/201...-specs/100165/
Old 03-01-16, 09:24 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

a bit tacky with all the bolt-on pieces IMO, but I'd take one

here's one of the original 5 Grand Sports that were built in 1963 (all the originals still exist today)

Last edited by bagwell; 03-01-16 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-01-16, 09:36 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice to see the Grand Sport return. If it was my money though I'd probably just get a Stingray with a Z51 Performance Package.
Old 03-01-16, 11:36 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice to see the Grand Sport return. If it was my money though I'd probably just get a Stingray with a Z51 Performance Package.
agreed
Old 03-01-16, 11:45 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So this is basically a Z06 with the base car's engine under the hood. Has all the cool aerodynamics, brakes, tires, and suspension bits from the Z06.

Pretty cool stuff, although I do wish it had a revised version of the 7.0 liter LS7 under the hood that they offered in the previous year's Z06 Corvette.
Old 03-01-16, 12:46 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
So this is basically a Z06 with the base car's engine under the hood. Has all the cool aerodynamics, brakes, tires, and suspension bits from the Z06.

Pretty cool stuff, although I do wish it had a revised version of the 7.0 liter LS7 under the hood that they offered in the previous year's Z06 Corvette.
I would probably just want those brakes on a Z51, none of the other 'fluff'
Old 03-01-16, 11:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 155 Likes on 91 Posts

I knew I seen that color scheme somewhere else before! Tacky toys for boys.
Attached Thumbnails 2017 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport: 5 Things to Know-smokey.jpg