Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

February 2016 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-16, 07:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

funny thing is though, there's only one suv/cuv in the top 10 sellers above.

perhaps that's because the huge suv/cuv volume is spread across a lot more models (cr-v just below fusion sales for example but often in the top 10). the camry/accord/altima/fusion probably own a giant chunk of the whole sedan market (plus corolla/civic for smaller).
Old 03-02-16, 08:36 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
True. I bet it has everything to do with the styling. The facelift is simply way too inelegant for the class.
The refresh looks great in my opinion. I believe what happened was a few factors, the December deal pulled forward a lot of purchases, 2016 models dont have any subsidies and very expensive and lastly the popularity of SUVs is a major factor too. Looking at BMW and MB, their car sales are suffering too, so it's the industry trend right now. I didn't bother looking at Audi though.
Old 03-02-16, 09:52 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
funny thing is though, there's only one suv/cuv in the top 10 sellers above.

perhaps that's because the huge suv/cuv volume is spread across a lot more models (cr-v just below fusion sales for example but often in the top 10). the camry/accord/altima/fusion probably own a giant chunk of the whole sedan market (plus corolla/civic for smaller).
No not really. If you observe the actual volumes instead of year-over-year increases or decreases almost all brands except a couple have been and are still selling many more cars than SUVs, but it's just that the SUV market is growing while the sedan market is shrinking, creating the illusion that more SUVs are being sold than cars.

Last edited by ydooby; 03-02-16 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-02-16, 09:55 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by situman
The refresh looks great in my opinion. I believe what happened was a few factors, the December deal pulled forward a lot of purchases, 2016 models dont have any subsidies and very expensive and lastly the popularity of SUVs is a major factor too. Looking at BMW and MB, their car sales are suffering too, so it's the industry trend right now. I didn't bother looking at Audi though.
But the drop of the GS sales is particularly disproportionately huge compared to the other luxury sedans, and the GS is the most recently refreshed among its peers. It just doesn't add up.
Old 03-02-16, 10:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

But the drop of the GS sales is particularly disproportionately huge compared to the other luxury sedans, and the GS is the most recently refreshed among its peers. It just doesn't add up.
For the year:

IS down 24%
CT down 30%
ES down 13%
GS down 30%
LS down 34%

I don't see the GS as being down "disproportionately huge". It's only down 6% more than the IS. If my local dealer is any indication, inventory and deals on the '16s aren't that strong. I'd give it a few more months before I'd draw conclusions about the redesign impacting sales.
Old 03-02-16, 10:56 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDR76
For the year:

IS down 24%
CT down 30%
ES down 13%
GS down 30%
LS down 34%

I don't see the GS as being down "disproportionately huge". It's only down 6% more than the IS. If my local dealer is any indication, inventory and deals on the '16s aren't that strong. I'd give it a few more months before I'd draw conclusions about the redesign impacting sales.
Exactly. The hangover from the blowout deal in December will probably last for another month or two. $450/mo lease deal on a $57k vehicle is ridiculously cheap. I paid $436/mo for a $47k RX back in 2011.
Old 03-02-16, 12:43 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

16 GS looks better in my eyes. The whole segment is declining.

For those mainstream brands, owners have little to play.
For luxury brands, buyers have more sense of the trend,and have more coins to pay for the extra ownership cost.

Luxury sedans are down just at the right pace, Crossover/SUV is the trend to go.
Old 03-02-16, 01:23 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

^^^ Correct.

A6 down 17% for the month, down 23% for the year.
E Class down 2% for the month, down 27% for the year.
5 Series down 24% for the month, down 6% for the year.

The next few months will be interesting.
Old 03-02-16, 01:40 PM
situman
Pole Position

Did I see two LFAs got sold? Wonder what kind of discount was given to the buyers.
Old 03-02-16, 02:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

No not really. If you observe the actual volumes instead of year-over-year increases or decreases almost all brands except a couple have been and are still selling many more cars than SUVs, but it's just that the SUV market is growing while the sedan market is shrinking, creating the illusion that more SUVs are being sold than cars.
uh, no. almost 2 years ago suv/cuv sales eclipsed cars.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/suv...sedans-in.html

or for an awesome website.. check this:
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-auto-sales/
Old 03-02-16, 02:41 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
uh, no. almost 2 years ago suv/cuv sales eclipsed cars.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/suv...sedans-in.html

or for an awesome website.. check this:
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-auto-sales/
That's only if you don't count hatchbacks, wagons, coupes and convertibles as cars...
Old 03-02-16, 06:08 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69

Volvo Car USA, LLC, (VCUSA) reported U.S. sales of 5,260 vehicles, a 33.1 percent increase versus February 2015. The top seller for the month was the award winning XC90 luxury SUV with 2,472 vehicles sold, a 4 percent increase versus January 2016. Year-to-date sales are up 21.8 percent.

“The XC90 continues to contribute to our sales momentum, and we have yet to reach its full potential,” said Lex Kerssemakers, President and CEO of Volvo Car USA. “Over the next few months it will be joined by the S90 luxury sedan and the top-of-the-line 4 seat XC90 Excellence, with the newly-unveiled V90 following later.”

Volvo is implementing a sweeping $11 billion transformation plan that has involved the development of its own modular vehicle architecture, a new engine range, global manufacturing capability, a completely renewed product range and world leading developments in safety, autonomous driving and connectivity.
The XC90 R-design have my vote if I need to replace the RX400h.
Old 03-02-16, 06:19 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't drive a Volvo if you paid me money. It's a wholly subsidiary of a Chinese car company after it was sold off by Ford. Nothing against Chinese-made products, but--and I say this anecdotally--they are crappy junk piles.
Old 03-02-16, 07:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I wouldn't drive a Volvo if you paid me money. It's a wholly subsidiary of a Chinese car company after it was sold off by Ford. Nothing against Chinese-made products, but--and I say this anecdotally--they are crappy junk piles.
The XC90 is not made in China, but still in Sweden as before.
Old 03-02-16, 08:50 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDR76
^^^ Correct.

A6 down 17% for the month, down 23% for the year.
E Class down 2% for the month, down 27% for the year.
5 Series down 24% for the month, down 6% for the year.

The next few months will be interesting.
Are new E Class rolling out? I yet need to see one on the road.

Quick Reply: February 2016 Sales Thread